Chappell Roan responds to backlash over concert cancellation

Teen Spirit

Don't artists give special concert performance for award shows if they can't be there live? I know bad bunny did it at the VMAs and Beyonce did it at the bet awards several years back

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rihinvention

• Windy Day

• Squall

• slayyyterslut

Top Posters In This Topic

It is what it is. Hopefully, she'll get as many awards as she can :gaygacat4:

1 hour ago, bad guy said:

I think she naturally wants her music to continue to do well and deliver fun moments as an artist without having randoms on Twitter coming up to her in tears asking for a hug and repeating "mother" over and over again like they just escaped out of a psych ward. Can you blame her?

LepnXa0.gif

sadly that's what happens when you decide to appear on a show that's based on obsessively voting for someone a hundred time a day

by appearing at the vmas i'm afraid she's targeting that particular demographic

LepnXa0.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Windy Day said:

"i don't care about the fame. i don't want to be recognized on the street. i do what i do because i love to throw parties for gay people on stage"

a week later: cancels said parties to promote herself on television

of course she's going to get dragged :skull:

I understand the anger and the sentiment.

But people will have to understand that this is business. In the big picture this decision gives her the chance to cement the state of her career that she has worked so hard for. People love having a queer artist rising to fame but they will have to accept that that rise will come at a price, no?

If things go well, ten years from now she may be a LGBTQ legend who millions of queer people may have gotten inspiration, representation and fun from. In order to achieve that it's ok to disappoint these fans now. Even if that sounds cold.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, bad guy said:

Her fans need thicker skin and bigger brains because why would she choose performing in the slums (France) when the option to deliver an iconic VMAs performance that will be watched by millions of more people is right there. As an artist what is the better opportunity? Time to put the thinking caps on!

LepnXa0.gif

i don't think it's her fans

the people who are mad that she cancelled her shows are coincidentally the same ones who have been dragging her for weeks

LepnXa0.gif

1 minute ago, STMG23 said:

I understand the anger and the sentiment.

But people will have to understand that this is business. In the big picture this decision gives her the chance to cement the state of her career that she has worked so hard for. People love having a queer artist rising to fame but they will have to accept that that rise will come at a price, no?

If things go well, ten years from now she may be a LGBTQ legend who millions of queer people may have gotten inspiration, representation and fun from. In order to achieve that it's ok to disappoint these fans now. Even if that sounds cold.

spacer.png

i mean, i agree with you. i just find it hilarious that she's cancelling her concert to go to the vmas out of any show right after having a manic episode because she has obsessive fans / got recognized on the street :laugh:

• Thanks 1

The amount of bootlicking in here over that weak explanation. She probably thinks you're all parasocial freaks for defending her so much.

LepnXa0.gif

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

Where's the original explanation? This comment just says she explained it already. 

Also I think ppl are calling her out for saying she would tone down her exposure and big appearances cause she didn't like the fame and then she goes and does this. 

Ofc idk her situation, so maybe she has a very good reason for it 🤷🏽‍♀️

So, she cancels her small concerts to perform at the VMAs in front of an audience of millions, but she doesn't want to be famous? Ok baby girl...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, tost1 said:

So, she cancels her small concerts to perform at the VMAs in front of an audience of millions, but she doesn't want to be famous? Ok baby girl...

I don't think she would hustled as hard as she did the last decade if she "doesn't want to be famous". She just wants to set some boundaries.

This whole discourse of "being cut to be superstar = accept anything people will demand of you" is so toxic. I mean we had years of paparazzi harassic stars. We had people dying because of it. It's basically telling a woman not to wear short skirts if doesn't want to be harassed.

Yes, being a star comes with pressure and with negative sides you have to deal with. But not wanting to be touched by strangers and not wanting to be followed obsessively by strangers? I can't blame anybody for that.

• Thanks 2

Yeah she's not gonna be around for very long. Her style and appearance is slightly out there, so the mainstream wont support her forever, and she is doing nothing to keep her own fanbase happy. I supported her comments speaking out against harassment but this is just unkind behavior to her fans. 

Also literally no one in the GP cares about the VMAs any longer. I really think it would've been a far better career move to do the concerts, and make a shoutout like "the VMAs wantede there today, but I'd rather be here with all my fans" it would've helped her more than anything she's gonna do at the VMAs

Edited by Bosque
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

French lesbians are probably rude af anyway.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Raichu said:

The dates were about 3 weeks out. The people who are mad will be okay - it isn't like they were already waiting at the venue.

VMAs are massive as a new artist, she definitely made the right decision.

No, she cancelled two days before the show

• Thanks 1

The more I hear about this girl, the less I like her. She's way too brand new to act this entitled over her fans.

She won't make it very far with this attitude.

LepnXa0.gif

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Vixen Eyes said:

literally who cares if dates are cancelled. its on YOU if you spent money on out-of-state flights (or some cases out-of-country), hotels, etc

i'd just take the refund and spend the day elsewhere in that area instead lol

leave Chappell alone ffs

What kind of dumb comment.

• Thumbs Down 1

People saying VMAs are massive and worth it… is this 2005? :rip: 

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, STMG23 said:

I

If things go well, ten years from now

Not to be a downer but I don't think people are going to care for her in 10 years or even 5. The days of a worldwide pop superstar are over. 

4 hours ago, Marla Singer said:

She probably thinks you're all parasocial freaks for defending her so much.

LepnXa0.gif

So true :toofunny3:

4 hours ago, Bosque said:

Yeah she's not gonna be around for very long. Her style and appearance is slightly out there, so the mainstream wont support her forever, and she is doing nothing to keep her own fanbase happy. I supported her comments speaking out against harassment but this is just unkind behavior to her fans. 

Also literally no one in the GP cares about the VMAs any longer. I really think it would've been a far better career move to do the concerts, and make a shoutout like "the VMAs wantede there today, but I'd rather be here with all my fans" it would've helped her more than anything she's gonna do at the VMAs

This is how I feel too. 

• Confused 1

I understand that people are upset but they won't remember this in a few weeks and she will be more than fine

4 hours ago, Windy Day said:

sadly that's what happens when you decide to appear on a show that's based on obsessively voting for someone a hundred time a day

by appearing at the vmas i'm afraid she's targeting that particular demographic

LepnXa0.gif

@ Me spending literal hundreds of dollars voting on the kpop apps, just to end up in second place every time 17HSMdI.gif 

ySOvSuNQ.gif

• Haha 1

I would be mad if i paid hotel and flights but at least we'll get a good performance

She's so over. The bitter parasocial gays won.

I'm sorry but this "explanation" just doesn't cut it. I'm still a fan. I don't hate her, I'm not going to stop listening to and supporting her music. But it DOES make me lose a little respect for her. Any professional in any field should honor their paid commitments.

The people who argue, "Shows can be cancelled. You have to expect it."

Yes, I expect cancellations. It's why I always get ticket insurance, travel insurance, check if my hotel offers refunds, etc. If I can't make it to a concert, I can still enjoy my trip. Go and do something else. Explore the area. However, I expect cancellations due to unsafe weather conditions, a safety problem concerning the venue, the artist falling ill or having a family emergency, etc.

A last minute cancellation 2 days prior due to scheduling conflicts is just incredibly disrespectful and fans have a right to be pissed. Especially because the VMA's were booked a couple weeks ago. Scheduling for rehearsals should've been figured out and any conflicts announced then. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

she doesnt owe anyone any explanation, like move on. and she should care about continuing to put out good music and deal with her anxiety and not explaining every attempt to cancel her, she's not selena gomez or som

If its for the VMAs (which it probably is, and it is totally understandable as a major career opportunity), then did she cancel or reschedule?

I think all of the concerts that are facing date/schedule conflicts should just be postponed to another date, if possible.

On 8/30/2024 at 10:01 PM, Rihinvention said:

Personally, if I had tickets, I would be like "girl, it's the freaking VMAs. Go get your Gaga Paparazzi moment."

The people dragging her aren't even French/Dutch ticket holders.

but you DON'T have the tickets, that's why you think you would react like that

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.