Does TTPD lack hits?

Big Bad Wolf

For an album that gets sold with new variants more than Taylor changes her underwear, the album lacks hits. Now I know the 2 official singles released peaked high but I couldn't tell you what either of them sound like and I rarely ever hear Taylor playing on the radio these days.

does Torturing The General Public Department lack hit songs?

• Like 9
  • Haha 9
  • Thumbs Down 7

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WildHeart

• The Music Industry

• Big Bad Wolf

• cowboy tyrant

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to get post-album hits nowadays, especially for established acts, but Taylor does have a hard time scoring hits. The lead single was not a strong pick and failed to smash. It was very frontloaded. 

Guilty as Sin is the only song on the album that sounds remotely like a hit but the song is literally about her ****** so that's not gonna fly with the soccer moms

Yes. Her downfall is uponeth thine

• Haha 1

Every era of hers since 2015 "lacked hits" according to atrl. She'll be fine:coffee2:

• Like 5
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

Interesting that you claim not to know how the album sounds.  It doesn't seem to stop you from obsessively talking about it here every other day.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.thumb.gif.7bf771e45cd95f072321e2c2c4cb4024.thumb.gif.1017be8e3c74e766d9a92f81c62ab392.gif

OT: Outside of Midnights, y'all have been running with this narrative that her albums "lack hits" since 2015. Here we are almost a decade later and she's bigger than ever, by far the most consumed and talked about artist in the world. Literally at what point do you stop to think and realize that maybe you're just shooting at the sun? 

:suburban:

• Like 10
  • Thumbs Down 2

Idk. But it doesn't have a smash hit like Anti Hero or Cruel Summerf

Well, yes!

However, "My Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys" is a smash hit in my earphones.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Music Industry said:

Yeah let's talk about things that "came and went"

TTPD on its 17th week: #1

Cowboy Carter on its 17th week: #73

spacer.png

:lmao: 

taylor - FRAUD (with variants)

yoncé - DGAF (living her best life)

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 9

It lacks… substance.

Not in terms of quantity, obviously. It's like drowning in vape smoke or something.

Here's your hit, she's just too caught up in narratives to see it :cm:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Big Bad Wolf said:

For an album that gets sold with new variants more than Taylor changes her underwear

1 hour ago, Big Bad Wolf said:

the album lacks hits

what does one have to do with the other?

11 minutes ago, Saint James said:

what does one have to do with the other?

She keeps selling these variants with one new version of a song on each of them and yet none of the songs can take off on the charts. She has a multi week #1 album with no real smash or standout hit.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Music Industry said:

Interesting that you claim not to know how the album sounds.  It doesn't seem to stop you from obsessively talking about it here every other day.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.thumb.gif.7bf771e45cd95f072321e2c2c4cb4024.thumb.gif.1017be8e3c74e766d9a92f81c62ab392.gif

OT: Outside of Midnights, y'all have been running with this narrative that her albums "lack hits" since 2015. Here we are almost a decade later and she's bigger than ever, by far the most consumed and talked about artist in the world. Literally at what point do you stop to think and realize that maybe you're just shooting at the sun? 

:suburban:

Funny how "The Music Industry" who has a multi week #1 album has NO song smashing. NO song of the summer. NO standout hit.

She's the Jeff Bezos of music. Selling out, bad quality, only good for cheap thrills.

K bye for now sunshine!

Edited by Big Bad Wolf
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 7

1 hour ago, shookspeare said:

Guilty as Sin is the only song on the album that sounds remotely like a hit but the song is literally about her ****** so that's not gonna fly with the soccer moms

this tea though lol :dies:

i've always been quite mixed on this album overall and though i do think some people do too much on it, it definitely is lacking in terms of songs that sound like surefire hits. Guilty as Sin? is very pretty and could've  been a nice springtime single 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PoisonedIvy said:

No one cares about quick little hits, Katy has more than most and look where she is now. Taylor got to where she is because people have always consumed her albums in full at a rate higher than that of her peers, and now it's on a scale so gargantuan it can't even be properly fathomed. <3 

True but Billie has shown us recently that you can have both, no? Hits and people consuming albums in full…

• Thumbs Down 1

TTPD is the definition of quantity > quality. Her previous albums were so much better! I feel like at this point in her music career, she should be focusing on quality but I guess she doesn't really care when she knows her fans will eat up anything she put out… It's all about the 🤑🤑🤑.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

15 minutes ago, Big Bad Wolf said:

NO song of the summer.

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Devin said:

:lmao: 

taylor - FRAUD (with variants)

yoncé - DGAF (living her best life)

spacer.png

Guess you conveniently missed the part where Billboard said it'd be #1 this week with or without variants... but whatever it takes to cope!

spacer.png

Edited by The Music Industry
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

The only genuine SMASH from Taylor this decade is CRUEL SUMMER and that's from LOVER

All of her albums this decade are HITLESS, Unknown to the GP

Proving once again, how it's mostly just her big fanbase obsessively consuming her music

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 6

She's evermore-ing the singles when Guilty As Sin? was right there as the potential late-summer hit.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.