'Cowboy Carter' departs UK albums chart after 14 weeks. What went wrong?

By the Water

• ATRL Moderator

Well, I wouldn't say anything went wrong? Beyoncé is a legend at this point with a career that started in the late 90s, she released what I (personally) consider such an artistic triumph and easily one of the most acclaimed bodies of work of the decade. She's made it clear this album was about putting this work out that was important to her personally, and not about making money (because lbr, does she need it?) because she's not really trying and pretty much dropping the album and dipping out. CC didn't have the most commercial longevity, but it had a big hit, nice opening numbers, widespread critical acclaim, and will be collecting accolades come year-end and awards season.

• Like 3

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• By the Water

• byzantium

• alien superstore

• Pheromosa

Gimmicks don't sell albums anymore methinks :suburban:

Everyone is streaming Good Girl Gone Bad, as evidenced by it moving up 8 spots on its 231st week on the chart :ryan3:

She has nothing left to prove. She got a number 1 hit, widespread acclaim. That's way way more than the average artist 27 years deep gets. 

she doesn't give a f**k and has not since several albums back. :bird:

it shouldn't come as a surprise that her Americana/Country album isn't smashing in the UK, especially without "Texas Hold 'Em" helping it like it does here on the Billboard album charts.

and hey, Cowboy Carter still charted 9 more weeks than Dangerously in Love. her career was OVER in 2003, so true

• Like 1

This would be funny if she was actually trying. No follow up single, no videos, no performances, no tour. Fans are fed up and why would the GP continue to be interested if she isn't. It wouldn't take much to get a boost but she doesn't want to do that in career anymore. 

You should focus and stick to your chart obsessed fav. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, kimberly said:

and hey, Cowboy Carter still charted 9 more weeks than Dangerously in Love. her career was OVER in 2003, so true

Dangerously In Love left the chart for the first time after 50 weeks. The math is not mathing

math-is-hard-addition.gif

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, By the Water said:

Dangerously In Love left the chart for the first time after 50 weeks. The math is not mathing

math-is-hard-addition.gif

oh lmao I saw the 5 weeks at #1 and thought it was the total number of weeks. it apparently charted for 70 weeks. slay!

anyway, maybe there's a world where Cowboy Carter returns and charts for some more weeks in the lower ranks. maybe there's a world where she pushes a different single with a remix and that boosts the album. or maybe this will be her shortest album run in the UK.

either way, I don't think she really cares. she's done absolutely nothing (but promoting the hair care line) since putting out this album.

• Thanks 1

beyonce is so 2008

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

Ask her. 

Well she still has her universally acclaimed album and that's difficult to get, not everyone has that. Quality over quantity I fear and she clearly feels the same considering she abandoned the album after release week. It's a healthy attitude to have I feel, rather than obsessing about charts and numbers at the age of 40.

On the other hand, a certain fanbase obsessing over it and monitoring its chart movement on a week to week basis proves she has what others will never have and continues to live on their minds rent free.

Edited by Jay07
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pheromosa said:

Do us a favor and tell her it takes more than IG pics to push album units, she won't listen to us :chick3:

What about a Super Bowl commercial? 

2 hours ago, Shelter said:

You should focus and stick to your chart obsessed fav. 

Half of ATRL is already doing this.  It's important to talk about other pop girls sometimes. Not everything is about Taylor. 

Levis Jeans wasnt made a single. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, byzantium said:

It helped with the huge opening numbers and Texas hold 'em :celestial5:, solely responsible I'd say. 

1 hour ago, byzantium said:

Why would an American commercial have a long-lasting effect in... Europe?

Once again I'm amazed by the way some of you think :rip:

Cowboy Carter is performing even worse than some albums ATRL loves to drag , but somehow no one notices. :bird:

Chart rules favor short album stays.:rip:

Edited by dontneedfame
Incomplete

7 hours ago, Pepo said:

Why would an American commercial have a long-lasting effect in... Europe?

Once again I'm amazed by the way some of you think :rip:

Are you familiar with something called the internet perchance?  People nowadays can talk very easily with people from other countries.  

For example, when Beyoncé was touring in Europe, her US streams improved.  

7 hours ago, unclefloprry said:

Cowboy Carter is performing even worse than some albums ATRL loves to drag , but somehow no one notices. :bird:

It's good that's why… Its one thing to underperform with a **** record but it's different when it's critically acclaimed and actually good. Drag the numbers all you want but the quality of the music will always be there. 

Even then Cowboy Carter is platinum in US and that's more than can anyone ask for with an album like this and a creator who refuses to promote their music consistently.

• Thanks 1

It was too ahead of its time, lack of promotion, arts not the charts, and people just don't get it.

it's an album nobody wanted. literally nothing except the first week sales went wrong. we wanted that!! the faster the era is over, the faster she starts the next era (we hope)

we = me 

:khalyan:

It has no promo, and even if it did, it is a very long and kinda tedious album for the gp. i only listened to it in full on release day tho and since then i only listen to a few songs like bodyguard or tyrant

No promo and no real rollout for a second single are the two obvious answers :cm: such a waste after the smashery of Texas

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.