New York Times: Biden tells key ally he may not stay in 2024 election

jakeisphat

President Biden has told a key ally that he knows he may not be able to salvage his candidacy if he cannot convince the public in the coming days that he is up for the job after a disastrous debate performance last week.

The president, who the ally emphasized is still deeply in the fight for re-election, understands that his next few appearances heading into the holiday weekend — including an interview scheduled for Friday with George Stephanopoulos of ABC News and campaign stops in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — must go well.

"He knows if he has two more events like that, we're in a different place" by the end of the weekend, said the ally, referring to Mr. Biden's halting and unfocused performance in the debate. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive situation.

The conversation is the first indication to become public that the president is seriously considering whether he can recover after a devastating performance on the debate stage in Atlanta on Thursday. Concerns are mounting about his viability as a candidate and whether he could serve as president for another four years.

A top adviser to Mr. Biden, who also spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the situation, said the president was "well aware of the political challenge he faces."

White House officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Campaign officials were nervously watching polls, recognizing that bad numbers could fuel the crisis. A CBS News poll on Wednesday showed former President Donald J. Trump edging ahead of Mr. Biden since the debate with 50 percent to 48 percent nationally and 51 percent to 48 percent in battleground states.

Mr. Biden is slowly reaching out to Democratic elected officials and has a meeting with Democratic governors at the White House scheduled for Wednesday evening. He is also continuing to reach out to people he has long trusted and has told at least one person that he is open to the possibility that his plans to move on from his debate performance — and flip the focus back to his challenger, Mr. Trump — may not work.

Several allies of Mr. Biden, who has huddled with the family and advisers since the debate on Thursday, have underscored that the president is still in the fight of his political life and largely sees this moment as a chance to come back from being counted out, as he has done many times throughout his half-century career.

But he is also cleareyed, they said, about his uphill battle to convince voters, donors and the political class that his debate performance was an anomaly.

Katie Rogers is a White House correspondent. For much of the past decade, she has focused on features about the presidency, the first family, and life in Washington, in addition to covering a range of domestic and foreign policy issues. She is the author of a book on first ladies. More about Katie Rogers

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ForgottenSoul

• GraceRandolph

• ZeroSuitBritney

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

:skull:Don't wanna sound like a doomer, but let's start getting ready for 4 more years of Trump :rip:

Harris might run, and if she somehow does well in the debate, I think there's somewhat of a chance, but I'm being sorta pessimistic :ghostface:

• Like 5

Yeah, I think he's definitely leaving

Who's a decent progressive candidate that it's not too polarizing?

I really hope he's dropping out. He has two choices and neither of them result in him being president for another term. He can either embarrass himself further and doom the US or he can step aside.

• Thanks 4

He needs to drop out NOW. Sooner than later so another candidate can get in and start building support. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Sawk said:

:skull:Don't wanna sound like a doomer, but let's start getting ready for 4 more years of Trump :rip:

Harris might run, and if she somehow does well in the debate, I think there's somewhat of a chance, but I'm being sorta pessimistic :ghostface:

I'm not American so I haven't been following this as closely as others but wouldn't almost any other candidate be better than Biden, even Kamala? He's irredeemable at this point and even though it's probably too little too late for another candidate to gain enough momentum, at least they'd have a chance. This man inspires confidence in nobody

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Sawk said:

Trump is never getting off that presidency ever again :rip:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If he does drop out, I am afraid that that might automatically mean Trump will get four more years regardless of who ends up being the Democratic nominee... Hope that doesn't become the case.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

The Dems will still lose, BUT at least he's making the right move and showing accountability. Honestly that's what we're asking for at this point. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reginald said:

Perched to see what excuse social media will come up with to not vote for the next candidate! :clap:

ScreenShot2024-01-26at12_46_10PM.thumb.p

Call me compassionate but I think supporting genocide is a good reason to not vote for someone :devil:

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8
  • Thumbs Down 1

******* drop out already so that we can start to mobilize around a new candidate, every day he kicks the can down the road is a day lost where Dems can rally and set up someone better

• Like 1

Just now, ZeroSuitBritney said:

Call me compassionate but I think supporting genocide is a good reason to not vote for someone :devil:

spacer.png

The unfortunate reality is that the US is run by capitalists and the military industrial complex. If you're waiting for a candidate who is not a warhawk, I don't know what to tell you. I wish things weren't this way also. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Reginald said:

The unfortunate reality is that the US is run by capitalists and the military industrial complex. If you're waiting for a candidate who is not a warhawk, I don't know what to tell you. I wish things weren't this way also. 

Then I, along with others, will continue to vote for mother Jill or sit the election out

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 10

I've seen some options to teach English to kids in other countries like Spain amd Japan. I think I may take that leap once I get my degree, hopefully in the next few months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Velvet Night said:

I really hope he's dropping out. He has two choices and neither of them result in him being president for another term. He can either embarrass himself further and doom the US or he can step aside.

13 minutes ago, nadiamendell said:

He needs to drop out NOW. Sooner than later so another candidate can get in and start building support. 

The issue is they would support Kamala I think only she can get the funds Biden has raised. 

He should've done this last year when his actions were putting his age and well-being into question. By stalling until the last minute, he completely undermined the chances of the dems to win this election.

Good riddance.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.