Taylor: no song in the top 20. Why does she keep picking horrible singles?

Digitalism

1 hour ago, MusicFan98 said:

Your faves get a 30k+ streaming update off a random b-side and are already calling it viral and a hit:doc:

There was recently a thread about Gaga's Americano "smashing" and its daily streams would not have made the top 175 of Taylor's most streamed daily tracks. :gaycat6:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Digitalism

• Julia Fox

• Klein

• Doctor Dick

Top Posters In This Topic

She's saving her best single choices for 4 years post release ala Cruel Summer to give her albums a 2nd leg

Or she has a humiliation kink

1. It has been over 3 months

2. I don't think she cares about the single performance of this era, there is only one remixes for Fortnight, reaching much less playlists than Cruel Summer and there is no any sign about the 2nd single yet. 

The last time people were dragging Taylor for not getting hits, she came back with the smash hits Anti-Hero and Cruel Summer, while bagging a few viral hits like Don't Blame Me, Enchanted and august and moderate hits like Karma in the process. 

Fortnight is a moderate hit and that's ok. She's never been reliant on hit songs to find success anyway. Even evermore which doesn't even have a viral hit going for it is slowly but surely approaching 10M units WW and 4M in the US. 

Edited by Klein
  • Like 5

love Taylor but didn't think any of the songs from her latest album is single worthy :rip:

• Like 1

Guilty as Sin? would be cute world and its second peak would be around #14 (and it's already been a top 10 so woohoo!) but other than that… naur

I think, like others have said, she's done with the era and focusing on Eras againnnnn 

I think she's layin low, gonna start gearing up for Rep TV in Q4 :gaycat:

2 hours ago, Klein said:

The last time people were dragging Taylor for not getting hits, she came back with the smash hits Anti-Hero and Cruel Summer, while bagging a few viral hits like Don't Blame Me, Enchanted and august and moderate hits like Karma in the process. 

Fortnight is a moderate hit and that's ok. She's never been reliant on hit songs to find success anyway. Even evermore which doesn't even have a viral hit going for it is slowly but surely approaching 10M units WW and 4M in the US. 

I didn't say she has no hits here.

People on their peak could have 4 or 5 hits a year. There's nothing impressive about having 2 hits in one of the biggest peaks of all time.

And it's not about the songs as it has been proven by your post. People actually like the albums tracks like CS and all the songs you mentioned. She just horrible at picking singles.

Edited by Digitalism
  • Thumbs Down 1

The point of releasing singles from albums is to promote that album, especially for artists like Taylor who has always prioritized album success.

Her single choices translate to massive album success, which is what every artist & label wants at the end of the day. And she's doing a better job at that than any other artist in the world right now, so her single choices meet the intended objectives perfectly. :cm:

3 minutes ago, Digitalism said:

I didn't say she has no hits here.

People on their peak could have 4 or 5 hits a year. There's nothing impressive about having 2 hits in one of the biggest peaks of all time.

And it's not about the songs as it has been proven by your post. People actually like the albums tracks like CS and all the songs you mentioned. She just horrible at picking singles.

Well first, in the streaming era getting 4-5 smash hits from the same album has become basically impossible because once the album is out, people just pick and choose the songs they like most. It's not possible to have the kind of focus on specific songs like in the past. 

And sure, other of the biggest peaks of all time had more smash hits, but at the same time they weren't getting the catalogue success that she's experiencing. Nobody ever saw that level of success across an entire discography. And it's also going along what is by FAR the biggest tour of all time. And I think that's why people can't wrap their heads around the peak Taylor is experiencing because there's nothing that truly compares (not in the sense that nobody comes close, but in the sense that nobody's peak was similar) in recent history.

And in terms of horrible single choice, I think there's only two albums where that was the case: Lover and TTPD. 2/11 albums (even 2/15 if you count the TVs) with wrong single choice is not enough to be deemed terrible at picking singles. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Klein said:

Well first, in the streaming era getting 4-5 smash hits from the same album has become basically impossible because once the album is out, people just pick and choose the songs they like most. It's not possible to have the kind of focus on specific songs like in the past. 

And sure, other of the biggest peaks of all time had more smash hits, but at the same time they weren't getting the catalogue success that she's experiencing. Nobody ever saw that level of success across an entire discography. And it's also going along what is by FAR the biggest tour of all time. And I think that's why people can't wrap their heads around the peak Taylor is experiencing because there's nothing that truly compares (not in the sense that nobody comes close, but in the sense that nobody's peak was similar) in recent history.

And in terms of horrible single choice, I think there's only two albums where that was the case: Lover and TTPD. 2/11 albums (even 2/15 if you count the TVs) with wrong single choice is not enough to be deemed terrible at picking singles. 

So olivia didn't have 4 hits in a year according to you? I know it's hard but some artist much smaller than her still manage to get 3 or 4 hits per album

Lets put it this way if Meghan Trainor released TTPD it would bomb and pull 8 sales and be more panned

Idk what marketing genius Taylor is but its working

1 minute ago, Digitalism said:

So olivia didn't have 4 hits in a year according to you? I know it's hard but some artist much smaller than her still manage to get 3 or 4 hits per album

I was talking about smash hits on the level of Drivers Licence/Good 4 U or Anti-Hero/Cruel Summer. Brutal/Deja Vu performed well but they're definitely not of the same caliber. Of course it's possible to have some more minor/moderate hits with a song going viral. 

And yes, as you say, some artists can be racking up hits, and they still don't come close to Taylor in terms of success. Which just goes to show that hits alone won't get you far, unless you're one of the biggest hitmaker of all time like Rihanna. Dua for example has collected many gigantic hits through her career, and still flopped hard with Radical Optimism. If you have to rely on hit songs for success, then you're only as good as your last song. 

• Like 1

she really just wanted ppl the hear "I wanna kill her" 

there is simply no other explanation as to why My Boy wasn't the lead.

Edited by WeFoundWill
  • Like 1

I don't get the fuss about this. The singles she releases are clearly doi their job when she's consistently the most-consumed artist worldwide day after day, #1 on the BB200 week after week, and on the biggest tour of all time. What else are singles for if not to drive consumption and promote the artist as a holistic product? 

10 hours ago, BlueTimberwolf said:

But you would think an album that sold almost 3 million 1st week would be ubiquitous.  That's how it was with 25/Thriller/Purple Rain. Everyone knew the songs even if you didn't buy the record, b/c the music was played everywhere. I only hear Fortnight when I turn on the radio.  How someone could have a "lowkey" 11-week #1 album is weird.  When has that ever happened?  

Girl they haven't send any other song to radio, how could you expect to listen to another song outside of Fortnite that was the only single the album had so far? :skull: I hated the record and didn't like any song from it and I'm tired of Taylor but I must say you all find every reason to hate her and discredit her success it's getting weird 

I don't think picking is the problem in here :celestial:

Edited by CherryBay
  • Haha 1

That's what she gets for ignoring GODly as Sin? :clap3:

Edited by BunnyIsARider
  • Like 1

I disagree that TTPD has no single worthy songs, My Boy and GAS? are two of her catchiest songs ever. She doesn't care and tbh it doesn't matter.

Taylor doesn't need smash singles in 2024 and hasn't in a long time. Fortnight exceeded expectations imo because it doesn't sound like a hit but did pretty well on the singles chart all things considered. I think TTPD is a mid album but obviously Taylor's focus has been albums which she is dominating that metric by a giant margin. Midnights and Cruel Summer's resurgence brought her back in regards to hit singles but it is super hard to sustain muiltiweek smash singles every era even for the big players including Taylor Swift since the GP carry singles not fans. 

as a swiftie. Fortnight was a horrible choice, it's so dreary and interminable. Can't get through for long enough to even reach Post Malone's part. :rip:

she shouldve went with Guilty As Sin.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.