Does Selena's lack of talent make her success all the more impressive?

Starfish

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dirrtydiana

• WaterDiamonds

• selena_lavigne

• MonsterNavy

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes the quality of her music all the more impressive. Few pop stars can claim to have better singleographies. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

her music producers put their entire bussy into making her sound passable

• Haha 3

I mean people can say whatever, but when the Revival album comes on it shuts the club down:jonny5: i don't care, she served Bangers. Thats all that matters at the end of the day. 

• Thanks 1

I mean, she has great music 

1 hour ago, XDNA said:

She has an ear for hits and served some great music.

aN hEaR fOr hITs is probably the lowest hanging fruit compliment you can give an artist lmao

good to know she's about the charts not the arts 

• Haha 3

It only shows that ATRL is disconnected from reality in my opinion. It's true that Selena is not a good singer, no shade, but the public does not care. They just want to enjoy music, they're not hoping for some fantastic vocals that will get them shook. So many hits have some bad vocals and so many songs that were released by fantastic singers flopped. Having a good technic is one thing but that's not what makes or breaks a career. Their image is what makes them sell their music. I can name many great singers that don't make me feel things at all and I can also name singers that are not near as good but who are able to make me feel emotions or that have a very pleasant tone and catchy music, which is more than enough.

If someone only cares about a singer's vocals, there's The Voice on television which is basically made for that and only that. I don't know for y'all btw but The Voice winners very rarely become famous and successful after the show in my country. A voice is not enough.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, teresaguidice said:

i sincerely doubt she chose the "hits"

She fought for good for you to be released as a single, Interscope wanted Same Old Love all the way.

She made the decision about the lose you to love me / look at me now release strategy too.

So she does make the calls sometimes. Under Disney she probably had 0 control.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

It only shows that ATRL is disconnected from reality in my opinion. It's true that Selena is not a good singer, no shade, but the public does not care. They just want to enjoy music, they're not hoping for some fantastic vocals that will get them shook. So many hits have some bad vocals and so many songs that were released by fantastic singers flopped. Having a good technic is one thing but that's not what makes or breaks a career. Their image is what makes them sell their music. I can name many great singers that don't make me feel things at all and I can also name singers that are not near as good but who are able to make me feel emotions or that have a very pleasant tone and catchy music, which is more than enough.

If someone only cares about a singer's vocals, there's The Voice on television which is basically made for that and only that. I don't know for y'all btw but The Voice winners very rarely become famous and successful after the show in my country. A voice is not enough.

we know all of this, being a great singer for example christina aguilera (debatable with all the screaming) doesn't make you a good artist or guarantee a career

but when artists don't have the best voice they usually have other talents and skills and vision that they bring into their craft

songwriting, playing instruments, dancing, style/vision that sets them apart and makes you say "wow she has this going on for her" 

selena gomez has NONE of these

Edited by RideOrDie
  • Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

She has a pleasant tone and her own singing style that works with her range. Her songs fit her voice too. Also she's a pretty decent actress, like actual acting talent not just the ex-act kind. But please, tell us more about talent, faceless nameless random Atrl dweller. :dies:

Edited by Mandalore
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

we know all of this, being a great singer for example christina aguilera (debatable with all the screaming) doesn't make you a good artist or guarantee a career

but when artists don't have the best voice they usually have other talents and skills and vision that they bring into their craft

songwriting, playing instruments, dancing, style/vision that sets them apart and makes you say "wow she has this going on for her" 

selena gomez has NONE of these

How can you believe this when she was the only one of her peers to make music that was pro LGBT and pro feminist in the 2000s?
Not to mention her songwriting and even creating her own renditions of covers. 

- she has a very pleasant perfect for pop music studio vocals

- she knows what type songs suits her very limited vocal talent

- she knows how to craft and pick perfect pop songs

- she can act

- she (used to be) and amazing dancer

- she can perform and has amazing stage presence when (she tries)

- she knows how to convey a feeling through singing 

- her discography is full of greatness and the amount of pop perfection she has is insane

Edited by MonsterNavy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, ks_dollar said:

aN hEaR fOr hITs is probably the lowest hanging fruit compliment you can give an artist lmao

good to know she's about the charts not the arts 

some pop girls cant even craft a listenable album

selena has revival, rare and the droplets era. you're just pressed

2 hours ago, Achilles. said:

It makes the quality of her music all the more impressive. Few pop stars can claim to have better singleographies. 

?

I wouldn't put Selena gomez in a top50 artists with the best singles.

:deadbanana:

10 minutes ago, MonsterNavy said:

- she has a very pleasant perfect for pop music studio vocals

- she knows what type songs suits her very limited vocal talent

- she knows how to craft and pick perfect pop songs

- she can act

- she (used to be) and amazing dancer

- she can perform and has amazing stage presence when (she tries)

- she knows how to convey a feeling through singing 

- her discography is full of greatness and the amount of pop perfection she has is insane

:clack:

I don't know much about Selena as an artist as I have never fully took a deep dive into her discography but does she write any of her own songs? I was so so so in love with Vulnerable a few years back as it autoplayed for me on Apple Music. Would people recommend I check out more of her work? :smile:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.