NME exposes Sabrina's autoplay

Papi Juancho

i sense this with nonsense, but anyway shes super famous now because so hardworking and eras tour also give a lot of exposure 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MonsterNavy

• Papi Juancho

• popmusicisdead

• FolkLover1989

Did she also auto play her smashery on AM, all the social media buzz, and the sales that could push Espresso to #1 this week? 

Espresso got its footing with autoplay but it has legs now because people like it, plain and simple. Other songs that got this treatment (her own Nonsense, for example) did not go #1 and stay #1 as she has.

Autoplay is a way of promotion, I personally have no problem with it. That said it'll always be funny seeing pop stans always calling every song that smashes and doesn't appeal to them (basically every song by a male artist) fraudulent while stanning Sabrina and that Chappell Roan girl, both of whom have autoplay residency. Like read the room beloveds.

• Like 2

This is far from just a Sabrina thing tbh, I remember when Spotify would force Caroline Polachek's "So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings" on me whether I'd been listening to Radiohead or Katy Perry. :rip:

I do really believe that labels manipulate charts, but, Sabrina is smashing everywhere Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon and Youtube. She's a GP darling and you can't fake that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

this year alone it's been;

-Flowers

-yes, and?

-Fortnight

-Espresso

-Lunch, Chihiro and Birds of a Feather (:rip:)

on heavy Autoplay.

i had to BLOCK these ladies just to get away from it :rip:

• Like 1

They might as well just brand the whole app and make every artist Sabrina Carpenter because it always plays me her music despite it not being my thing

20 minutes ago, Kakihara said:

Everyone does that. That's why I was happy when Spotify allowed us to block artists. 

19 minutes ago, popmusicisdead said:

this year alone it's been;

-Flowers

-yes, and?

-Fortnight

-Espresso

-Lunch, Chihiro and Birds of a Feather (:rip:)

on heavy Autoplay.

i had to BLOCK these ladies just to get away from it :rip:

Is blocking artists doing anything for you? I blocked a certain girl that will be single soon and I still had her latest trashy song on the autoplay playlist.. :duck:

Edited by Papi Juancho

You can easily spot when a song is pushed mostly by autoplay when the position is all over the place in the different platforms (see Nonsense originally thriving in Spotify but N/A on Apple Music or Amazon etc), Sabrina is currently smashing on every single streaming service simultaneously, which is a situation that is impossible to fabricate (or we would see other similar situations).

During early 2023, it would be a valid point about her, right now? No.

Edited by Popboi.

31 minutes ago, Papi Juancho said:

Is blocking artists doing anything for you? I blocked a certain girl that will be single soon and I still had her latest trashy song on the autoplay playlist.. :duck:

is it a feature? it doesn't block features unfortunately 

27 minutes ago, Papi Juancho said:

I can't say because I disabled "autoplay similar content" so I don't get suggestions, but it does work for me in the smart shuffle, that was my biggest problem because I'd get suggested artists that are similar to what I'm listening but that I don't like or hate, so one block and I don't hear them again. I'm not sure if this would be different with the autoplay option on though. 

Normally I'd agree but Apple Music is the best indicator of a GP hit, at least for the US, because there's no autoplay since it's a paid-only platform. And Sabrina is smashing on there 

Autoplay is how I discovered Sabrina actually.  I only listen to my playlist in the car, but her songs "Nonsense" and "Feather" would suddenly start playing. :skull: It was annoying at first, but I ended up loving "Feather" after hearing it unwillingly a dozen times, and so I started checking out her newer stuff like "Espresso" and "Please x3".  I wouldn't be doing that if not for the autoplay, so maybe the tactic worked. 

• Haha 2

Can't people just turn autoplay off, that's what I've done ever since I started using Spotify and I haven't had to listen to anything unwanted.

Edited by G.U.Y_Del_Rey

autoplay is very evident when you follow charts. it's also evident when contract for it ends. greedy for example, it was doing 4-5mln streams for months and then just in one day it sunk below 3mln and never recovered. million dollar baby is another example of autoplay malfunctions 

5 hours ago, By the Water said:

It's very obvious when songs get heavy push from autoplay (and when they're removed from it) even if they're genuine hits. Their stans will still downvote you and call you bitter though

Your faves entire album was auto played lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

4 hours ago, niiall said:

So she waited six albums and a three year campaign for emails i can't send to hit the autoplay button? PPP smashing hit a nerve somewhere.

I'm pretty sure Sabrina was on a different label for the first four albums, then for Emails I can't Send she switched to Island Records, which is part of UMG. She is getting a big push with the UMG money and influence that she didn't have before.

Edit: she also signed to Universal Music Publishing late last year.

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/warner-music-acquires-e-positive-india-based-company-1235750676/

She was previously with Sony Music Publishing, so now everything is aligned under Universal.

5 hours ago, conquxror said:

My biggest dream is that my fave's label will do autoplay for her next lead single. Like, imagine having a label that invests in you… I'll never understand what's so negative about it

I think these sort of deals involve some sort of profit sharing arrangement where the artist ends up charting higher and becoming more famous and Spotify and UMG end up taking a higher percentage. I can't see Lorde going for that.

Not to mention, the labels are going to be pushing this sort of deal for the artists who agree to release 50 different CD, cassette and vinyl versions and we know she doesn't want to do that either. She even changed her Spotify so that it's harder to find and play the extended versions of Pure Heroine and Melodrama.

does autoplay not work with spotify premium users? i only use my own playlists but i tried the shuffle feature and i just get recommended music that's similar to my music taste, never espresso or any other songs mentioned that apparently get spammed for people

genuinely asking, is this true for Spotify premium? I listen to my playlists all the time and have not once heard espresso during?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.