Was Thank You, Next a failed attempt at being iconic and Ariana's defining era?

Aethereal

Daily streams do not change history, this site worries me :suburban:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aethereal

• duybeeGAshantiGA

• Feanor

• liquiddiamonds

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Failed? :rip: She was the biggest pop girl of 2019, at least until Billie took over.

She could've milked the era more tho. Bad Idea and IMH should've been singles, while Boyfriend and DCMA could go in the bin.

Posted (edited)

Failed attempt? TUN was an album that simply happened, it was probably intended to be a mixtape if the lead didn't smash, she released a personal track while going through a mental breakdown, this wasn't some My Everything type of strategy album. She dropped the lead on a sunday with no artwork ready nor a music video, which came out weeks later. Nobody expected it to smash, especially not her/her team, she got two #1 hits which stayed at the top for 2 months and beyond with poor playlist promo, almost no live performances nor interviews. The album's debut was huge, with only 13 tracks and it took years to be beaten by much longer albums. 

The reasons it is not as remembered as other pop girls' peak are:

1. there aren't many moments linked to the era because she was in a terrible place mentally and did not do much.

2. the songs are very of its time, and while they were all hits-material and instant TUN is probably the album in her discography that aged the worst, especially compared to its predecessor and follow-ups.

3. she didn't go as hard as the others in any way, there was no creative direction, the tour was rushed, the third and last single was abandoned upon release despite there being multiple songs that could smash etc. Other pop girls peak eras (1989, FN, TD etc) had 5 to 10 singles while this only had 3, of course the numbers can not be comparable, one's standing on one leg and the others are sitting comfortably.

Edited by ariananext
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, Pheromosa said:

Daily streams do not change history, this site worries me :suburban:

These type of threads are becoming more and more common and it's worrisome. Do people think that people were listening to pre-streaming classics every day all day? Front to back? Fatigue and other endeavors are real things lol 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Hardly a failed attempt when it smashed :dies: it's her best album that seemed to just come out of nowhere

Edited by Illuminati

1 minute ago, liquiddiamonds said:

Streaming is very volatile. Using daily streams from one day to make a point about a whole era being a failure is foolish. A bunch of things might influence the numbers: from virality to playlist placement to a bigger nostalgic hit doing the heavy lifting, etc 

It's been like this for years TBH. Also the gap is slowing closing. In few years DW and ME might be above it. 

Even the YT views are uniform:

https://kworb.net/youtube/artist/arianagrande.html

But 7 rings is at least holding well in this.

the album is her defining album so far and so is the song but the video will never be memorable bc she just referenced iconic movies and people will always think of the movies first 

2 minutes ago, Aethereal said:

It's been like this for years TBH. Also the gap is slowing closing. In few years DW and ME might be above it. 

Even the YT views are uniform:

https://kworb.net/youtube/artist/arianagrande.html

But 7 rings is at least holding well in this.

True Blue is the best selling 80s Madonna album and it's always the last mentioned when people list her classics from the era. Your point is half the story. TUN is a pivot in Ariana's career that having slightly lower daily Spotify numbers won't change. Her celebrity and acclaim reached a whole other level and she became an instant icon. It's been 10 years since ME. Nostalgia will also help TUN in following years

• Like 1

Did not fail as hard as this thread. That's for sure!

70aVQZy.gif

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, liquiddiamonds said:

These type of threads are becoming more and more common and it's worrisome. Do people think that people were listening to pre-streaming classics every day all day? Front to back? Fatigue and other endeavors are real things lol 

The way we have absolutely no clue about how much a specific album was played because you could track sales but not plays, obviously. One can buy an album and only play it once but ATRLers will say it was the superior consump method :rip:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, liquiddiamonds said:

True Blue is the best selling 80s Madonna album and it's always the last mentioned when people list her classics from the era. Your point is half the story. TUN is a pivot in Ariana's career that having slightly lower daily Spotify numbers won't change. Her celebrity and acclaim reached a whole other level and she became an instant icon. It's been 10 years since ME. Nostalgia will also help TUN in following years

True Blue is legit the most iconic Madonna album up there with LaV. Nobody cares about her edgy church beefs. 

• Haha 1

My Everything was her musical and commercial peak.

• Confused 1

Why does everything have to be "something" to y'all. It was an attempt at a new era. Done. Accomplished. 

it was iconic and deserved some grammys :monkey:

Failed? To this day Thank U, Next is the era that most people will bring up if you mention Ariana, both the songs and as a pop culture moment.

It didn't feel as monumental as other pop girl peak eras, because Billie took over the attention relatively quickly after its release and then ofc Taylor herself also ended up as the biggest artist of 2019, so Ariana's peak era felt more like a side plot by the end of 2019.

• Confused 1

GMMc2hLWEAAU4rd?format=jpg&name=medium

TUN was also the first female album and first pop album to make an impact on streaming. TUN smashed in a hip-hop dominated market. Ariana was the first pop girl and female artist to achieve 200k+ SEA units. There is no way to spin TUN as a failure. Please. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tm4074 said:

GMMc2hLWEAAU4rd?format=jpg&name=medium

TUN was also the first female album and first pop album to make an impact on streaming. TUN smashed in a hip-hop dominated market. Ariana was the first pop girl and female artist to achieve 200k+ SEA units. There is no way to spin TUN as a failure. Please. 

It kinda started off huge but struggled to pass ME in the long run and might even lose the second spot that is my point. Most people would expect it to crush DW by a much larger margin at least. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Aethereal said:

It kinda started off huge but struggled to pass ME in the long run and might even lose the second spot that is my point. Most people would expect it to crush DW by a much larger margin at least. 

TUN isn't old enough to benefit from the nostalgia factor that ME and DW have. ME and DW were doing less than 2M daily streams a couple years ago and have rebounded in recent times. DW (song) was only doing 200k daily a couple years ago and is now average around 650k/700k daily. Same with Into You. One Last Time went from 200k daily to around 800k daily. ME and DW also have more singles that cater to pop audiences. bloodline (an album track from TUN) literally just went viral last year and is doing 300k+ daily. This is also a Sunday update so the streams are a lot lower than usual. TUN averages around 2.3M daily on a typical day and peaked around 4M daily this year up until ES album release. It's doing just fine. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Feanor said:

It didn't feel as monumental as other pop girl peak eras, because Billie took over the attention relatively quickly after its release and then ofc Taylor herself also ended up as the biggest artist of 2019, so Ariana's peak era felt more like a side plot by the end of 2019.

Lover was nothing short of a cringefest. Billie and Ariana were the only hot topics that year, no matter how frontloaded lover's debut was. If anything, Taylor felt like the laughing stock of 2019.

• Like 1

how did i know daily streams were gonna be used as the core argument for this stupid point before entering :rofl:

she was easily the biggest popstar during that time and anyone who was around remembers how iconic it was. that era literally elevated her to A+ pop status that she hadn't quite reached before. up until that point she had no #1 hits and people were not putting her in the same category as taylor, beyonce, rihanna, gaga, etc

the term "tu,n" and the video will always be an iconic moment in pop culture no matter the daily streams

1 hour ago, Aethereal said:

trying to attach herself with big Hollywood IP (like Mean Girls and Legally Blonde) expensive music videos and the lower cases titles and quite "unique" themes (k, bye 4 now bby, break up with your gIrliE i am bored!!1!)

You sound ridiculous :rip: how dare she have a high budget for a music video and...use lower case titles?

OT: No.

1 minute ago, brenda-walsh said:

how did i know daily streams were gonna be used as the core argument for this stupid point before entering :rofl:

she was easily the biggest popstar during that time and anyone who was around remembers how iconic it was. that era literally elevated her to A+ pop status that she hadn't quite reached before. up until that point she had no #1 hits and people were not putting her in the same category as taylor, beyonce, rihanna, gaga, etc

the term "tu,n" and the video will always be an iconic moment in pop culture no matter the daily streams

Iconic eras like The Fame, Teenage Dream, Anti, 1989, GGGB, BTD seem to be doing pretty well in spite of those artists being retired or lacking recent success. We are talking about 2010s albums not the ones released in 1990s where daily streams are irrelevant.  Streaming is pretty accurate nowadays. Also the total is closing, this is not just a 2 weeks TikTok trend matter.

12 minutes ago, airplane said:

Lover was nothing short of a cringefest. Billie and Ariana were the only hot topics that year, no matter how frontloaded lover's debut was. If anything, Taylor felt like the laughing stock of 2019.

There's no need for anecdotal opinions, when we have the facts. And the fact is that Taylor was the most consumed artist of 2019 worldwide. So yes, Billie and Ariana were hot topics that year, they just weren't as hot as Taylor was. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.