Was Thank You, Next a failed attempt at being iconic and Ariana's defining era?

Aethereal

Posted (edited)

It had a big opening, trying to attach herself with big Hollywood IP (like Mean Girls and Legally Blonde) expensive music videos and the lower cases titles and quite "unique" themes (k, bye 4 now bby, break up with your gIrliE i am bored!!1!). Kinda looks like she was up to something. Overall it is a slightly above the average era (for Ariana's standard) that benefited from Ariana's growing power kinda like Midnight benefited from Taylor's peak.

ME is her biggest album and DW might end passing it in the future.

My Everything - 1,879,651 (11 songs + 1 minute interlude)

TUN - 1,977,989 (12 songs)

My Everything - 2,293,160 (full version)

Dangerous Woman - 2,305,824

Positions - 1,594,218

According to CM:

ME - 15.5M CSPC

TUN - 11.5M CSPC

DW - 11.1M CSPC

It seems that DW might end passing it within a year or so.

Lover - 18M (2019)

When we all fall asleep - 18M (2019)

-

TU,N - 11.5M (2019)

ASIB - 10.5M (2018)

Edited by Aethereal
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 7

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aethereal

• duybeeGAshantiGA

• Feanor

• liquiddiamonds

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweetener/TUN together is her defining era, 2018-19.

• Like 3

Thank U Next was iconic though. I don't think she expected it to be as big as it was. You've got to remember that album had her first two #1 hits and they were both multi week smashes. The lead single was a surprise release on a Saturday that was low-key serving gift for the fans and it completely surpassed all expectations.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Numbers don't tell the whole story. It was launched off the back of Sweetener and their era's overlapped.

It was no doubt iconic, everywhere, and her defining era. 

Just now, glitch said:

Thank U Next was iconic though. I don't think she expected it to be as big as it was. You've got to remember that album had her first two #1 hits and they were both multi week smashes. The lead single was a surprise release on a Saturday that was low-key serving gift for the fans and it completely surpassed all expectations.

Yeah that too - the best part about the era being so iconic is that it was authentically so. Not an "attempt". 

• Thanks 1

It was iconic, I still see the phrase used in everyday life nearly 6 years later

It didn't fail, it was a moment back then.

Its not as remembered as it should be, as we can see with its current streaming stats, but it's still an ariana defining album. 

The thing is that the era was very lackluster and that hurt it's memorability.

We'll see this happening with mosts of our favorite artists soon (from miley to beyonce).

It's "'working"" on streaming era but it will create less memorable moments and with that the songs will also be less remembered. 

TUN has the first 2 singles MVs and it's release itself as something remembered, it's already more than most current releases but it's not something Teenage Dream comparable, for example. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

concubine

I've noticed y'all will say stuff like this but then praise actual failed cultural attempts like Radical Optimism or Dopamine by Normani.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Nothing about TUN was a failure. Imagine thinking about that on a Tuesday during working hours lol 

• Haha 1

TUN is not a standalone era. SWT/TUN should be considered as a single era, since both albums came out in the gap of what? 5 months? 

Her run from NTLC -> GIAW -> TUN -> 7 Rings is iconic and everything happened in her personal life in between, from Mac's death and Breakup with Pete made her the biggest Pop star in the planet when pop music as a whole was struggling against Hiphop domination. 

• Like 1

she is literally the most iconic Main Pop Girl of 2018 & 2019 tho:deadbanana4: 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

No, that album went 13x platinum in Boystown (Chicago's Gayborhood) :gaygacat8:

• ATRL Moderator

SweeTUNer is definitely a career defining era 

2 minutes ago, Selegend said:

It didn't fail, it was a moment back then.

Its not as remembered as it should be, as we can see with its current streaming stats, but it's still an ariana defining album. 

The thing is that the era was very lackluster and that hurt it's memorability.

We'll see this happening with mosts of our favorite artists soon (from miley to beyonce).

It's "'working"" on streaming era but it will create less memorable moments and with that the songs will also be less remembered. 

TUN has the first 2 singles MVs and it's release itself as something remembered, it's already more than most current releases but it's not something Teenage Dream comparable, for example. 

This TBH was the best answer so far. 

So much nostalgia in those answers. We are on the streaming era and streaming is all about longevity.  It did not eclipse her other albums as we assumed it would.

According to CM:

ME - 15.5M CSPC

TUN - 11.5M CSPC

DW - 11.1M CSPC

I feel like it could have really reached like Teenage Dream levels of success if she kept releasing singles from the album tbh…it's a shame she just stopped after buwygf

• Like 2

Just removed the poll. :zzz:

I was expecting like 80% not 100% no. 

• Confused 1

It was a massive era, but it was very much of that time. I don't think her music aged very gracefully from that album. Songs like Into You, No Tears Left To Cry, One Last Time, Bang Bang, We Can't Be Friends feel more defining. 

It's a defining era for her. The album didn't age that well but it served its purpose.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Aethereal said:

This TBH was the best answer so far. 

So much nostalgia in those answers. We are on the streaming era and streaming is all about longevity.  It did not eclipse her other albums as we assumed it would.

According to CM:

ME - 15.5M CSPC

TUN - 11.5M CSPC

DW - 11.1M CSPC

Streaming is very volatile. Using daily streams from one day to make a point about a whole era being a failure is foolish. A bunch of things might influence the numbers: from virality to playlist placement to a bigger nostalgic hit doing the heavy lifting, etc TUN almost caught up with ME in half the time with half the promotion. That's how big of a peak it was

Edited by liquiddiamonds
  • Like 1

she sabotaged it by ending it early

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.