Pitchfork: HIT ME HARD AND SOFT: 6.8

Kanes

2 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Even if you do not like the album, it still doesn't make sense to give HMHAS a 6.8. Subjective opinions are different ofc and you can rate it as low as you want, but I thought critics are supposed to give scores from the most objective angle? In that light, the production and vocals alone feel underrepresented by such a score. Theneedledrop is hard to satisfy and he gave it a 7 so why does Pitchfork insist on 6.8? It's giving edgy wannabe

?? Opinions are always subjective.

• Like 1

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pop Fan

• Blackout2006

• on the line

• John Slayne

Top Posters In This Topic

7 is a fair score for this album. It's good, but not great or anything special. 6.8 is pretty much a 7. :michael:

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

5 hours ago, Pop Fan said:

Thank you Pitchfork. This praise was getting out of hand. It's a solid album but it's not nearly as good as NFR, Melodrama or folklore. It's a crime to compare HMHAS to those actual masterpieces.

Exactly, it would be insulting putting this album next to these three masterpieces. Don't get me wrong, the album is good, but you'd think that with only 10 songs most of (if not all of) them would be nothing but stellar, sadly there's only 2 great song, (maybe 3, counting 'Wildflower') on the album and the rest are just there

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Hm I don't agree with this score.

But Pitchfork in a nutshell:

F6H322masAAWqz9?format=jpg&name=large

• Haha 2

between this and TTPD why has everyone been acting like they gave out a 2 or something :rip: the 6-7 range is great, it's just not realistic to expect your fav to get a 9-10 review every time 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

They are just clowns, it's blending so many genres and the productions are amazing. Yet, they call it « repetitive ». :rip: 

They only give big scores to Beyoncé anyway.

Edited by Squall

6 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Exactly. :clap3:

wait a Taylor Swift stan wrote the review? that makes sense, they wouldn't know about good writing or production

• Like 1

such a try-hard attention-seeking publication lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Slayne said:

wait a Taylor Swift stan wrote the review? that makes sense, they wouldn't know about good writing or production

Honestly the review has nothing to do with score, it's staff consensus which is why people are complaining before that why certain articles are so overwhelming positive yet albums didn't get BNM. 

5 hours ago, Cloröx said:

Honestly the review has nothing to do with score, it's staff consensus which is why people are complaining before that why certain articles are so overwhelming positive yet albums didn't get BNM. 

they need to change their methodology imo, the staff consensus just means every album gets a 6 from them 

This is the score Cowboy Carter deserved

On 5/21/2024 at 8:41 PM, Trainwreck said:

Exactly, it would be insulting putting this album next to these three masterpieces. Don't get me wrong, the album is good, but you'd think that with only 10 songs most of (if not all of) them would be nothing but stellar, sadly there's only 2 great song, (maybe 3, counting 'Wildflower') on the album and the rest are just there

2 good songs on a 10 track album is still a better than 2 good songs on a 31 track album

Happier Than Ever is the better album so :clap3:

I knew they can't be taken seriously anymore when they gave Ethel Cain's Preacher's Daughter 6.4 :ducky:

And then they solidified my opinion with a 6.4 for The Last Diner Party, and PinkPantheress

And now 6.8 for HMHAS which is definitely too low...

Still, they do give good scores to some of the indie records I have been loving this year

The poptism is truly over :jonny:

Fitting score for a slightly decent album. It's nothing monumental nor really shows any growth artistically but it's good. 

On 5/22/2024 at 1:53 AM, Taemira said:

such a try-hard attention-seeking publication lol

This is literally a good score lol it's basically a 7/10 which seems very fair.

1 hour ago, no_better said:

I knew they can't be taken seriously anymore when they gave Ethel Cain's Preacher's Daughter 6.4 :ducky:

Ok a 6.4 for preacher's daughter is actually a joke... 

Having said that, i think most people complaining about the score (and pitchfork in general) don't even take the time to check what kind of music they DO give positive reviews to. Their main focus is and has always been underground & experimental stuff which is why they never even used to review these super mainstream releases.

Honestly I like HMAS but ia w pf that a lot of the hype is to do w the shock factor of the changing instrumentals. With that being the case, it will be interesting to see how well it holds up once that initial shock has worn off. Will probably still be incredible live tho.

Spoiler

OT but also not OT my first thoughts when billie started belting was "someone's been listening to ethel cain" :gaycat2:

• Thanks 1

Would Hannah Jocelyn lie?

Hannah Jocelyn 🫡 on X: "Happy new year! It's time I say the thing and  properly introduce myself as Hannah Jocelyn. My pronouns are she/they (but  I prefer she) I'm a writer,

25 minutes ago, fromily said:

Ok a 6.4 for preacher's daughter is actually a joke... 

Even the edge lords at Sputnik knew this album is a 10

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.