Is Tyla shaping up to be a One hit wonder?

Starfish

After water, truth or dare bombed and they are not doing anything about Jump.

Is it safe to say she is over? 

• Thumbs Down 1

She literally just broke out last year...give her time to cook lol

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

No, she’s clearly a star. Her next era will be even bigger

• Like 3

Definitely no

She seems like one of those artists that have a machine behind them.

At one point or another she'll have another hit and start collecting more

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trent W said:

Big Machine Records

8 minutes ago, Trent W said:

Epic Records 

Are you trying to have a thread made about yourself two decades from now?

• Haha 10

we live in very fickle times / industry / world — so who knows 

Didn't she just drop her debut album not even 2 months ago? :suburban:

Yes after she failed to capitalize on ART 

They just filmed the video for Jump but judging by the songs performance in the U.S i think it might not be a hit there, she'll probably struggle to get another hit in the U.S 

While i applaud that she wanted to stay true to her roots on her debut album, she needs a sell-out era to proper fully breakout in the mainstream scene like almost every other girl needed. That means making pop/R&B top 40 music and jumping on DJ and rapper songs.

And when she's more known, then she can go back to amapiano. I say that bc i saw tons of viral tweets and videos on TikTok saying that every song sounds the same (like Water) so it feels like she's trapped on it for the public eye. She's beautiful and talented but people simply won't care if they have that perception of her music.

At least wait for her second album. It's makes no sense to say that now :rip:

I dont mind her not having any hits as big as Water on this album because this album has cemented her artistry to her debut sound and style and gained her a following to where on her IG she's getting 1 million likes which is really high engagement for an artist with only 1 hit to their name. She's 22 and has a lot of years to make many more albums, new sounds and new hits. She has a gorgeous voice and stage presence. I believe she'll get more hits.

33 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

Are you trying to have a thread made about yourself two decades from now?

That's the vision 

She will have another hit soon. There's way too much buzz about her and people ready to support her 

I think people are building her up to be something she won't be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel like Jump is a sleeper hit, the way Agora Hills was

jump viral soon top 20 coming, her team is doing well especially her injured on debut week. :bunny:

I mean her team is doing well with her so I think she can have another hit 

cause if she doesn't she's gonna be Natalie La Rose 2.0

28 minutes ago, Pillz said:

I feel like Jump is a sleeper hit, the way Agora Hills was

well Agora Hills did peak inside the top 10 so let's hope Jump will follow suit :duca:

you would say the same thing in january 2006 with rihanna when if it's lovin that you want failed to crack top 35, give her time

We have to see what Jump does esp with the video coming and they start actually pushing that one, it's already averaging over a mill streams a day and it's perfect for start of summer. Plus I think she's still getting a ton of goodwill seeing as she had a great debut that was well received by critics and the public, she clearly has a great team behind her with label support. They've done a great job keeping her name and face out there and making sure she hasn't disappeared by now like lots of other artists with tiktok hits.

That being said, I'm v interested in what direction she goes by the 2nd album. I can see her sound progressively leaning towards more traditional pop and/or R&B similar to Rihanna after Music of the Sun to boost her commercial appeal and mainstream viability. For every Water, Essence or Calm Down, it's still hard for most Afrobeats and amapiano songs to take off like that on Billboard without either being massively viral or getting a big western collab. 

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.