Was Kendrick being homophobic in his Drake diss track response?

KatyPrismSpirit

Posted (edited)

Euphoria, the diss track in which Lamar responses to Drake's most recent diss track "Push Ups", dropped yesterday. The song was met with mixed responses, in which some people accuse Kendrick of using homophobic stereotypes to "diss" Drake. There's accusations of misogyny as well regarding the lyrical content of "Euphoria".

This recent article by the Guardian mentions a few low blows on the diss track, in which they accuse Kendrick of being homophobic in his diss.

There are frequent lines comparing Drake to a woman, which Lamar tries to legitimise by amping women up – "When I see you stand by Sexyy Red, I believe you see two bad b-words. I believe you don't like women, it's real competition" – but it's patronising, and there's a whiff of homophobia in framing Drake as being less than a real man for having feminine qualities. That also comes through in his loaded praise of Drake's danceable music – "Keep making me dance, waving my hand, and it won't be no threat" – and in saying Drake "pops ass" while dancing with women.

The homophobia becomes horribly explicit on a line that calls Drake's OVO labelmates "dick riders", using gay sex as a diss. It was repellent when Nas was doing it on his own hall-of-fame diss track Ether, and that was back in 2001; Lamar, whose artistry rests on his self-presentation as flawed but enlightened, demeans himself here. Also, the three-part beat is blah even if Lamar does ride it with skill and animation. And no one apart from accountants cares about percentage splits in label deals, subject matter which results in some very dull lines.

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/may/01/euphoria-most-brutal-moments-in-kendrick-lamar-drake-diss-track

Do you agree that the song was unnecessarily homophobic?

Edited by KatyPrismSpirit
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MP2K

• Soda Pop Queen

• KatyPrismSpirit

• Bhabylon

Drake is good guy and we stand with him, straight, bi or gay! :clap:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 4
  • Thumbs Down 5

3 minutes ago, playboi said:

"my fans don't care and neither do i"

this is diss culture, you can't expect them to put trigger warnings and use inclusive language

Posted (edited)

No

They didn't even get the quote right. 
He said "I believe you see two bad *******" Not "I see two bad *******"

Thats because when the pics were taken of them, Sexxy was pregnant and the second bad girl Drake sees is a fetus.

Drake's PR game is really outta this world lol. 

Edited by Kodak Energy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, playboi said:

this is diss culture, you can't expect them to put trigger warnings and use inclusive language

but why revert towards unnecessary homophobic stereotypes tho. Drake isn't even a gay man. Shaming him in that sense just reeks of jealousy tbh like who even cares. i can't comprehend why he thinks that is even a dig tbh

Edited by KatyPrismSpirit

It's not that serious. He's clearly using this comparisons as a diss TO Drake since he's uncomfortable with them

nothing homophobic about any of this **** :rip: 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

but why revert towards unnecessary homophobic stereotypes tho. Drake isn't even a gay man. Shaming him in that sense just reeks of jealousy tbh like who even cares. i can't comprehend why he thinks that is even a dig tbh

"Dick rider" "cocksucker" etc… are not homophobic slurs. Sucking and riding D are not exclusive activities to the gay community. How do you think straight people have sex?

• Haha 2

Drake has just as much force in the media as Taylor sometimes. Push-ups has not held up as well as Like That. Now it's 2-0 with Euphoria. 

Bring out the bots!!!! 

• Like 3

That also comes through in his loaded praise of Drake's danceable music – "Keep making me dance, waving my hand, and it won't be no threat"

This REACH :hoetenks:

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

The endless excuses people will make for homophobia will never cease to amaze me. :clap3:

• Like 3

being offended by "dick riders" made me not take the article serious, at all :rip: 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, playboi said:

I'll remember this the next time someone insults my sexuality and it will be a HUGE comfort to me. :heart:

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Dreajae said:

Drake has just as much force in the media as Taylor sometimes. Push-ups has not held up as well as Like That. Now it's 2-0 with Euphoria. 

Bring out the bots!!!! 

Literal ones. :deadbanana4:

can-anyone-explain-the-pusha-t-bot-storm

He did it to Pusha last year and to Kendrick right after Like That.

Edited by Virgos Groove

Such a deeply unserious and embarassing article, the machine around Drake needs to be stopped.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Blue Rose said:

"Dick rider" "cocksucker" etc… are not homophobic slurs. Sucking and riding D are not exclusive activities to the gay community. How do you think straight people have sex?

I'm paraphrasing what the journalist said in the quotes there.

That article is just a great example of what happens when white people write think pieces over rap beef, without knowing the culture behind it or opening urban dictionary.

• Thanks 11
  • Confused 1

:bibliahh:Be fr. He called his team dick riders cuz they gas him up. You don't even have to be a rap fan to know that bruh

• Like 2

The pic of the writer in the link tells me all lol

• Haha 1

I mean, he has very small feet. Of course he was.

Drake has already shot back, posting a scene of Julia Stiles in 10 Things I Hate About You saying lines similar to Lamar's "I hate the way that you dress" screed – a neat puncturing of Lamar's occasional pomposity. Humour rather than anger will be Drake's best recourse now, and we'll certainly need some good jokes to keep the combat worth watching.

plsssssss honey what is this

not for that but didn't kendrick use homophobic and transphobic language on his last album. I only listened to it twice cause it wasn't as good as damn or GKMC but I remember talk about that on here 

Send that cease and desist papi! 

If it brings you peace 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.