Why are Royals and Lorde's recurrent streams so poor?

suburbannature

For how enormous Royals was, I'm kind of stunned that it's only pulling 344k daily. And Lorde's entire discography is only doing 2.3 million

By comparison, Lana is doing 1.3 million daily with Summertime Sadness and 1 million with Yes to Heaven - two songs with the same total as Lorde's discography. Melanie Martinez has nearly double the daily streams of Lorde. Halsey has Without Me doubling Royal's streams and more lead streams (2 million more total).

Why couldn't Lorde serve longevity in the streaming era like her peers?

Edited by suburbannature
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kayseri Mantisi

• duybeeGAshantiGA

• HonourableVomit

• tomo

She's busy enjoying life, onion rings, and hot wings. :alexz3:

• Like 6

Forgotten discography 

• Like 11
  • Thumbs Down 3

People are recovering after Mercury in retrograde they have no time to stream :chick1:

Edited by TitanicSurvivor
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, HonourableVomit said:

She doesn't do popstar life, appear publicly, release regularly or promote herself as a brand. She's an artist doing her thing living comfortably away from the spotlight and actually walking that walk instead of courting attention while complaining about it. The modern Kate Bush when you think about it. 

Similarly, if Royals got licensed for something I have no doubt it'd resurge in popularity because of its timeless prescient message and catchy hook. 

Actually, I feel like its delivery aged quite poorly :rip: 

• Like 1

We stream Solar Power

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Because her main collaborator Jack Antonoff is a streaming poison :gaynetcat4:

Just now, suburbannature said:

Actually, I feel like its delivery aged quite poorly :rip: 

I think the global cost of living crisis and housing doom has made it more relevant than ever lyrically. Maybe it depends on the demographic but I don't see how it could be considered poor? 

• Like 1

She needs to collab with Taylor like Lana did so she can get relevant again

9rSBmwN.thumb.gif.c0a5c34046fe8519b5d538

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

2.3 million total discography streams is shockingly low considering Pure Heroine's success and Melodrama actually being successful in the middle of the streaming era....but then I also think about the fact that she hasnt/doesnt release as often as the other girls you mentioned, and she doesnt really play the popstar game of performances, mulitple visuals etc. And Royals is like her only big hit and that happened in 2013 before streaming really exploded, and i dont think that song stood the test of time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everyone saw through how she came out rich while she sang about never being 'royal' and how Solar power was her being extremely tone deaf during COVID lockdowns

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

she lacks interesting material outside PH.

• Like 6
  • Confused 4
  • Thumbs Down 5

She takes long ass huge breaks between albums and that is poison for streaming era. and she's not the only example. 

• Like 2

Just obsessed, stuck in past, can't adapt type of gay

These threads have already been made several times and you still try

Literally no one including her gives a **** about her sales or numbers, she just drops masterpieces every 4 years and then disappears

Her recurring streams are actually so good for someone who apparently dropped "disaster of an album" according to ATRL, with having 21 million monthly listeners and Ribs, Supercut etc timelessly going viral every few months. Royals was also the most certified RIAA solo song recently. She has more monthly listeners than Carly Rae Jepsen, Charli XCX, FKA twigs, Caroline Polachek, Tove Lo, Kim Petras etc combined but I don't see threads like this about them. 

Spend your time with something else please...

• Thanks 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 6

staying low before L4 to gag the world

kayseriiiii.thumb.gif.c26faf7f32b399bed3

Edited by truthteller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Given who's the MPG I'd say the GP's music taste isn't giving Royals 

The truth is Solar Power was not received well by many and the long gap between albums did not help her streaming.  

9rSBmwN.thumb.gif.c0a5c34046fe8519b5d538

• Like 3

Time flies.

Pure Heroine was released 11 years ago

Melodrama was released 7 years ago

she didn't do much between those years. 

she has songs that go viral sometimes which is great but she doesn't really care. 

One great era of music then everything else is trash 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 4

She keeps on hiding, long breaks between albums and her latest one wasn't well received on sales or critics

Also i forgot to add that the 2013-15 era of music kinda generated the biggest era of fads when we think about it :skull:

And i don't mean to shade Lorde or anything, but if we see the ones that were on top back then and where they are now...

everyone in this thread will look beyond embarrassing when L4 drops

• Like 1

Not Unconditonally outstreaming it is daily streams and both being 2013 releases :rip:

Time the ultimate truth teller 

• Like 5

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.