Cardi B claims homosexuality can be caused by assault, "not everybody is born gay"

FOCK

Hm....like multiple users have articulated, I am always uncomfortable with this train of thought mostly because it is often pushed by right-wingers who then seek to advance the bigoted idea that all LGBTQ+ individuals are a) a threat to children, b) are unfit parents, and c) a self-"recruiting" sexuality cult that is not natural but artificially socially coded through trauma and abuse.

Now, I don't think Cardi meant it that way and I hope we can parse that — the title is disingenuous, come on now. With that said, she should really be careful with her phrasing regarding these topics — her politics are usually pretty solid in a broader, center-left sense; but her phrasing of political contexts is usually not.

Sexual awakenings unfortunately do happen through traumatic events and are a part of (minority) narratives of sexuality within the lives of some LGBTQ+ people, but that is a very specific conversation she has little business being in. In fact, (some) adult material catered to LGBTQ+ individuals also often carries a tinge of these abusive situations (which is the appeal for quite a few), and one swift look at the comments section — in so far you can rely on the comment sections of ******* PHub for totalizing statements :toofunny3: — does show a lot of anecdotal corroboration though it could very well be fictional.

But overall, my thoughts are this is a delicate subject with no clear or objective answer and unless she has some direct lived experience with this, she should be quiet. She has a huge platform, will always be relevant as one of, if not the most successful femcees of all time, and so **** like this can be easily weaponized against her large LGBTQ+ fanbase.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sawk

• FOCK

• thequeenofpopmadonna

• punisher

Oh wow, maybe she deserves that flopping. :biblio:

Trauma can lead people to explore sexual and romantic acts with people they are not organically attracted to.

But it doesn't turn them legitimately gay. Either is awakens what was already there or it's a mere response to trauma.

Cardi B is incredibly ignorant.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

If she is not homosexual herself or an expert on psychology and human behaviour, she can keep her uninformed  thoughts to herself because it can lead to bigotry from other people. 

• Like 1

I mean, human psyche is extremely complex so I wouldn't necessarily disagree with her. She didn't have a malicious intent, so I'm not sure why she's being attacked.

• Like 3

cardi..girl I can support you from time to time but this is just stupid.

9 minutes ago, Hurem said:

I mean, human psyche is extremely complex so I wouldn't necessarily disagree with her. She didn't have a malicious intent, so I'm not sure why she's being attacked.

It isn't her place to speak on this.

Kind of like a white person educating people or publicly speaking on racial issues.

If you're not from the marginalised group, it's best to support and show you're an ally but not speak on nuanced issues which aren't apart of your life. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

People are free to talk about whatever they want. The only type of speech that should be policed is hate speech.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

Kind of like a white person educating people or publicly speaking on racial issues.

If you're not from the marginalised group, it's best to support and show you're an ally but not speak on nuanced issues which aren't apart of your life. 

Isn't Cardi B openly bisexual…? Or are you saying only homosexuals can have this conversation?

• Like 1

How she made it this far Is beyond me, so glad she is over.

**** her. **** that *****. 

She would know about assault... 

2 minutes ago, tachiwaka said:

Isn't Cardi B openly bisexual…? Or are you saying only homosexuals can have this conversation?

Honestly, I know this is seen as wrong to say, but all of these stars who claim to be bi, I barely believe any of them. Literally zero bisexual major stars end up with a woman aside from someone like Cara Delevingne who seems legit.

Even if Cardi is bi, she isn't a gay man so I still don't think it's her place.

Edited by Saintlor
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

11 minutes ago, Hurem said:

People are free to talk about whatever they want. The only type of speech that should be policed is hate speech.

This might not be hate speech but she's still promoting a popular myth associated with homosexuality that's used to justify such things as conversion therapy (happy for those who live in the countries where it's banned, but it exists, and the 'doctors' operate under this assumption).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

girl ...

Mean Girls Shut Up GIF

Oh wow. This is very serious, strange, ignorant and idiotic my God. No words. She needs to be called out because WTF is this statement. 

14 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

Honestly, I know this is seen as wrong to say, but all of these stars who claim to be bi, I barely believe any of them. Literally zero bisexual major stars end up with a woman aside from someone like Cara Delevingne who seems legit.

Even if Cardi is bi, she isn't a gay man so I still don't think it's her place.

Literally all of them use it to tease straight men and get popular. I agree, absolutely NONE of these women are bisexual. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

Hmm, well she's not wrong. I'm sure that has happened in some cases. But it is a take that can be harmful to the gay community.

2 minutes ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

Literally all of them use it to tease straight men and get popular. I agree, absolutely NONE of these women are bisexual. 

Right! And if you say this everyone on ATRL usually says you're biphobic :toofunny2:

You'd think if every celebrity is claiming to be bi then at least one of them would end up in a long term relationship with a woman based on the law of averages, but it just hasn't happened 

• Like 2

She is an idiot. 

She's not a smart person 

She doesn't want to be a smart person 

She surrounds herself with trash people 

She's trash 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Specter said:

Hm....like multiple users have articulated, I am always uncomfortable with this train of thought mostly because it is often pushed by right-wingers who then seek to advance the bigoted idea that all LGBTQ+ individuals are a) a threat to children, b) are unfit parents, and c) a self-"recruiting" sexuality cult that is not natural but artificially socially coded through trauma and abuse.

Now, I don't think Cardi meant it that way and I hope we can parse that — the title is disingenuous, come on now. With that said, she should really be careful with her phrasing regarding these topics — her politics are usually pretty solid in a broader, center-left sense; but her phrasing of political contexts is usually not.

Sexual awakenings unfortunately do happen through traumatic events and are a part of (minority) narratives of sexuality within the lives of some LGBTQ+ people, but that is a very specific conversation she has little business being in. In fact, (some) adult material catered to LGBTQ+ individuals also often carries a tinge of these abusive situations (which is the appeal for quite a few), and one swift look at the comments section — in so far you can rely on the comment sections of ******* PHub for totalizing statements :toofunny3: — does show a lot of anecdotal corroboration though it could very well be fictional.

But overall, my thoughts are this is a delicate subject with no clear or objective answer and unless she has some direct lived experience with this, she should be quiet. She has a huge platform, will always be relevant as one of, if not the most successful femcees of all time, and so **** like this can be easily weaponized against her large LGBTQ+ fanbase.

This. There's genuinely no harm in trying to work through and process what she saw in the show. The point of such media is to force people to confront and acknowledge such realities that are often outside of their purview. 

The issue is more so the internet gives everyone a platform and she's a celebrity. So what would be a normal conversation to have between two people in private sitting on the couch after watching a show and trying to process it, then becomes authoritative and more consequential due to doing such on qn online platform and having no control what people do with her words when she's knowingly too ignorant to speak on the issue from a position of knowledge (given she herself is literally trying to work through her own ideas live). The intention to want to work through her thoughts and better understanding gives the sense there's no malice here but it's reasonable why people would find someone so inarticulate on the subject getting such attention to be jarring. 

Edited by Communion
  • Thanks 1

She's not bright. Don't pay attention that's all she knows.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.