Can Taylor learn something from Ariana about melodies & vocal production?

Communion

We all know Taylor is one of the best lyricists of her generation. She paints stories with her pen and has built her career on the words she writes. But one of the main criticisms of her new album is a lack of variety when it comes to melodies and her vocal delivery throughout the album. 

Much of Taylor's songs by nature of her style of writing start off as lyric ideas - scribbled couplets on pieces of paper, journal entries - rather than sonic ideas. 

Given the recent technical praise Ariana has received for eternal sunshine's vocal production and melody compositons (largely helmed by Ariana), should Taylor consider experimenting more in the studio for the next record with writing melodies first with less emphasis on the lyrics?

:celestial5:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Communion

• WildHeart

• Tm4074

• duybeeGAshantiGA

Ariana can be extremely hit or miss with her vocal production though, look at yes, and? :deadbanana2:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't think so. Taylor doesn't have a real singing voice in order to follow keys and intricate melodies like Ari is able to do with her amazing singing ability. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

no

• Like 1

Counting down the minutes until someone makes 

Can Ariana learn something from Taylor about songwriting & monetization of her fanbase?

• Haha 10

No :heart:

• Like 1

Here we go...

I don't think so since Ariana has still to release an album better than Taylor's.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 12

Well yes. 

Waiting for the swiffers to come in here and say no when she's literally just made an album with 17 songs sounding exactly the same 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

Taylor isn't a vocalist. So no. As long as the song sounds good after it's mastered, no one really cares 

• Like 2

Nnnn this thread isn't slick. :rip: But yes, I think she needs to focus more on melody and letting the songs breathe on the next album.

With all due respect to Ariana and her fans… no.

• Like 1

No, if Positions and ES were released in same years you all will be complaining the same thing. Sweetener, TUNA and Positions received same criticism in case some people forgot :gaycat6:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Vespertine said:

Yes, I would love for Taylor to start making monotonous playlists with poorly enunciated vocals on top. 

Here we go :rip: Y'all love to lie  spacer.png

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

Nnnn this thread isn't slick. :rip: But yes, I think she needs to focus more on melody and letting the songs breathe on the next album.

ddd as someone who loves both, I just thought it was ironic that, as peers, it feels like they currently have what the other is lacking. :fan:

The lyrics on ES are better and more refined than previous efforts by Ariana, but Ariana's strength is still her understanding of melody and her approach to lyrics is more-so trying to describe emotions in succinct yet meaningful ways. While Taylor has already reached mass critical praise for her lyricism and her ability to just paint entire stories with her words, but as someone who is a bit meh over the lyrics taking prominence, seeing even fans of folklore/evermore feel like the melodies were a bit weaker than usual here was interesting.

Though I'm in a weird place as a fan cause, as a recovering Swiftie, my favorite post-Lover album is... Midnights ddd. And I know, for some, part of their criticism of the new album is also that it sounds a bit similar to Midnights, in the way the 1989 vault tracks did, and I think that's somewhat true, though more-so the downtempo moments.

Like I LOVE "I Can Do It With A Broken Heart" and would have loved for the rest of the album to sound like that, as an evolution from Midnights.

• Like 2

So she could be less successful and less acclaimed?

tumblr_mbeigyqqfX1r3ty02o1_500.gif

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

lets put it this way, taylor could never make supernatural

Well no….gotta have vocals to do that :bibliahh:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Judging by the amount of fans and recognition each one has I think she is fine where she is 

Upon first listen, the album has her worst vocals to me. Which is saying a lot for someone who is already not a vocalist. She doesn't need to do crazy harmonies, but she should try harder vocally and focus on her delivery. 

• Thanks 1

What Taylor does has class to it 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.