Taylor Swift - 'THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT: THE ANTHOLOGY'

Almodusa

This billionaire discourse is gonna plague conversations about her for all eternity, isn't it :rip: 

• Like 2

• Replies 48.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wastedpotential

• Dear Reader

• Klein

• Magickarp

The album has grown on me so much. I sorta see what people mean about her getting crushed under the weight of her own lore, though. I LOATHE to compare her to Marvel, but it almost feels like you have to actively keep up to get it. 

I would love for TS11 to be a reset for the Taylor Swift cinematic universe. The last year really feels like closing a chapter. I thought TTPD would be that reset but I think it was the ending, so to speak. 

I hope she comes back with new muses, a new sound, and some fresh collaborators and I like Jack!

Edited by DevilsRollTheDice
  • Like 3

I'm fine with her not getting that 5th AOTY, but for goodness sake please get the song awards!

ROTY (Fortnight)

SOTY (Fortnight)

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance (Fortnight)

Best Music Video (Fortnight)

Best Music Film (The Eras Tour)

And I can see Eternal Sunshine getting Pop Vocal Album, this may be a case of folklore/future nostalgia all over again

I just realized why Fortnight mv is her best since the longest time, and it's the absence of easter eggs :suburban:

• Like 12

Just now, PoisonedIvy said:

This billionaire discourse is gonna plague conversations about her for all eternity, isn't it :rip: 

Yeah, because apparently you can't be that much rich and talented enough at the same time to make something like The Prophecy, for example. It kind of gives gatekeeping of sorts. Her status is too inhuman for others to register actual humanity through her music. But that's what makes her memorable figure. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

I lowkey need Beyoncé to become a billionaire to see how people would react. Will people crucify her too?

Just now, Lemon said:

Yeah, because apparently you can't be that much rich and talented enough at the same time to make something like The Prophecy, for example. It kind of gives gatekeeping of sorts. Her status is too inhuman for others to register actual humanity through her music. But that's what makes her memorable figure. 

I need her to publicly burn 300M in cash on a livestream just to not be a billionaire anymore :duca: 

• Haha 2

Just now, MidnightsAtPeace said:

I lowkey need Beyoncé to become a billionaire to see how people would react. Will people crucify her too?

The Carters ARE billionaires that's the funny thing :deadvision: And it shouldn't matter, we're not asking for them to get dragged also, we're asking for it to not afflict the conversation. But as we see with the private jets, other offenders don't get the same vitriol blondie gets 

• Like 10

Just now, PoisonedIvy said:

I need her to publicly burn 300M in cash on a livestream just to not be a billionaire anymore :duca: 

They would seek more than that. But even if she does that, some would be like "Burning it instead of sharing it where it is needed. Selfish!" 

4 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

The billionaire status combined with the jet usage both hitting around the same time really cemented it as a permanent piece of discourse around her. :rip: There's a video of her jet usage in 2023 making the rounds on Reddit as we speak 

Which, to be fair — both are important things to discuss regarding Taylor Swift the celebrity, but why must it always come up when discussing Taylor Swift the musician. :deadbanana:

• Thanks 1

Clara Bow is such a poignant song where she directly talks about her uneasiness (?) towards aging as a pop girl/female celeb and where her vulnerability is truly shown... Her directly saying her name in song shook me.

I don't want to dwell on the song too hard but there will come a time where people will look at Taylor's career (and all our present-day favs) in a past tense and that makes me sad. But just like how Taylor says, it's inevitable in this world of entertainment.

I think as pop girl fans, it's a song that we can all appreciate for its honesty.

There are too many golden moments like this for this album to be judged so harshly by critics/people online imo.

Edited by I Melt Away
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Bold of you to assume that'd be enough for them, they would criticize her for not donating that 300M to those in need.

• Haha 1

Hopefully, the OTH's who think these reviews are going to have any impact on her career are right. I need an intimate theater tour. :WAP:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It's damn criminal to see no one talk about FOTS :giraffe: it's skyrocketed up my side a favorites

• Like 1

The first 3 seconds of Clara Bow remind me A LOT of Fourth of July by Sufjan :gaycat7:

Fortnight and Guilty As Sin are two of the best written songs she's released in years. Solid melodies with the intricate lyrics she's been into writing but not too wordy that it holds the songs back.

I think my top 5 in no order is probably

1. Fortnight

2. Guilty As Sin

3. The Albatross

4. So High School

5. I Can Do It With A Broken Heart

Side A was a lot less interesting to me my first listen but I think it has grown a lot more as I've listened. I think Side B has one half consisting of the best songs on the album and the other half are the most forgettable uninteresting songs on the whole thing. Side A is a lot more consistent.

• Like 4

Alright… she is giving us signs. 

Greek goddess Nemesis in Karma music video. 

Mythological Greek prophet Cassandra on The Anthology. 

Whew. She will be working with Andy Butler of HERCULES and Love Affair for that up-beat album. :bird:

2 hours ago, 19SLAYty9 said:

Didn't she have 2 million pre orders or was that all a lie

2 hours ago, Taylor fanboy said:

yes? Even HDD themselves is still pretty much uncertain with any projection they put out and would rather use "data nerds" instead :rip:

• Like 1

The Prophecy is absolutely magical

imagine if she'd opened the album with it :jonny5:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

The Carters ARE billionaires that's the funny thing :deadvision: And it shouldn't matter, we're not asking for them to get dragged also, we're asking for it to not afflict the conversation. But as we see with the private jets, other offenders don't get the same vitriol blondie gets 

That thread quotes Beyoncé too btw. 

35 minutes ago, greeneyedsoul said:

is it unethical to stan a billionaire? 

Oh wow. 

:suburban:

OT: I prefer the deluxe and critics giving it a 69 will be laughed at in the future. 

The entire situation will be laughed at in the future. In 30 years, when people reflect on her career over the years, this album will be viewed much more favorably. 

• Like 6

we don't deserve how good some of these songs are. we really don't. like absolute career highlights that are sadly getting overshadowed by internet noise and the same pearl-clutching and whining she writes about in all of these songs, only proving her point. :gaycat6:

• Like 6

imagine if she'd released some of these songs as droplets and not just one album. I think the reception would be VERY different.

like imagine a random Guilty as Sin? drop with an incredible video. people would've lost their minds.

while she doesn't *need* to be a singles artist, I do think it could've benefited this project especially with introducing it as a slow drip to the general public.

like, if it were me, I would've released the best droplets with career-stopping videos over the course of six months, THEN gave you the full album.

6 minutes ago, pinkbowvintage said:

we don't deserve how good some of these songs are. we really don't. like absolute career highlights that are sadly getting overshadowed by internet noise and the same pearl-clutching and whining she writes about in all of these songs, only proving her point. :gaycat6:

3 minutes ago, pinkbowvintage said:

imagine if she'd released some of these songs as droplets and not just one album. I think the reception would be VERY different.

like imagine a random Guilty as Sin? drop with an incredible video. people would've lost their minds.

while she doesn't *need* to be a singles artist, I do think it could've benefited this project especially with introducing it as a slow drip to the general public.

like, if it were me, I would've released the best droplets with career-stopping videos over the course of six months, THEN gave you the full album.

wastedpotential reacted "like" to your posts in 'Taylor Swift - "THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT: THE ANTHOLOGY"' 

:ryan3:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

so what Billboard says is 

It sold 1.4m pure copies first day (600k vinyls sold)

2 days later it sold the total of 1.5m pure copies ( with +700k vinyls sold reported) which means ZERO CD + Digital sold in store in the next 2 days after the album got released. Taylor's team really says NO MORE retailer or website data store for them until the end of the tracking week :rip:

https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-beat/taylor-swift-the-tortured-poets-department-first-day-sales-release-week-1235662005/

Edited by GAGAISTHEBESTYA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.