Taylor Swift - 'THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT: THE ANTHOLOGY'

Almodusa

trying to get through I Can Do It with a Broken Heart without wanting to throw my laptop out the window

jessie-j.gif

• Thanks 1

• Replies 46.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wastedpotential

• Dear Reader

• Klein

• Magickarp

Okay this keeps crawling up my favorites list :WAP:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My top 3 right now:

1. Who's Aftaid Of My 5th AOTY?

2. Florida!!!

3. Fortnight

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Also, I kinda hate the Anthology cover, but I don't want my streams to split :suburban:

• Like 1

Everytime I open Twitter there's a viral hate tweet, I don't think I can handle Her stardom anymore...

This might be Her last album for a long time

wkyNKl5.jpg

Fresh Out The Slammer on threepeat all ****** day.

She really kicked me in the balls and crushed my windpipe with this one.

PDeO4CM.gif

• Like 5

as much as I like the album as a fan, Paste mag made some points

https://www.pastemagazine.com/music/taylor-swift/taylor-swift-strikes-out-looking-on-the-tortured-poets-department

I think Antonoff should stick to guitar-playing. Get that man away from a keyboard, I'm begging you.

You get something like The Tortured Poets Department when the artist making it no longer feels challenged, where she strikes out looking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now I'm seeing that Spotify actually tweeted that she broke the overall record. :skull:

11 minutes ago, ChapelHooker said:

I know the Stereogum review is mostly critical of the music but MAN did I love the points they made about where she is with her music, stardom and fanbase at this point. this albums sounds like her trying to shake all of that off, hence the manic energy and directly calling out fans etc. its actually a VERY confrontational album, and wildly complex. 

Ye. That review genuinely got under my skin (in a good way). I keep thinking about how exciting and fresh a lot of songs on the standard are and how they could have been enhanced by different production styles. I'm not a Jack hater in any shape or form, but after this I have to agree she needs to let him go and only let him produce no more than a song or two on her next projects. Same with Aaron unfortunately. She made some of her best work with Aaron, but that comfort zone has made her fall into this soft-pastel aesthetic that we got 3 full albums out of now. If anything, TTPD shows that she still got her artistic chops in tact, even displaying growth and experimentation in several writing directions, but the soundscape is hindering her growth instead of enhancing it. The album is very good. There are no songs so far that I dislike, but it could have honestly been so so so much more. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kern said:

I think Antonoff should stick to guitar-playing. Get that man away from a keyboard, I'm begging you.

music journalism is truly dead btw. writing for Paste like your doing a twitter thread...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Thumbs Down 1

Fortnight is definitely breaking that AH Spotify debut record with that insane AM performance. :eek:

3 minutes ago, Kern said:

as much as I like the album as a fan, Paste mag made some points

https://www.pastemagazine.com/music/taylor-swift/taylor-swift-strikes-out-looking-on-the-tortured-poets-department

I don't agree with their review, while well-written. I think Jack brings an electricity to his production with her and other artists. It's not for everyone, but that's okay.

I also would argue she did challenge herself with this album.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2024 at 6:08 PM, Post Malone said:

When it's 11 Masterminds and 5 Girl At Home TVs for bop value and we won

fvyIGWu.gif

But the way I manifested it :bibliahh:

"For so long, London
Stitches undone
Two graves, one gun
I'll find someone"

looking away bangtan boys GIF

seriously the way the synths tremble and intensify after each chorus… aaron you are my dear friend here's a tangerine 🍊 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pinkbowvintage said:

I don't agree with their review, while well-written.

This is excatly my thought. I disagree with the score they gave but the review reads well and makes sense as a opinion of a person who wrote it.

First two tracks are also not the greatest introduction to this album, lyric wise and sonically 

They also made a very good point about how hard is to critisise Taylor today, it kinda makes the lines of what's good and what's not too blurry if that makes sense

Edited by Kern

The way the synths in the intro of Broken Heart sound like an intro of a news show before she starts describing how the media perceives her... her mind. Best song on the album

ezgif-3-9e3185f972.thumb.gif.86028808da0

Her falsetto on the second "Now, pretty baby, I'm runnin' back home to youuu / Fresh out of the slammer, I know who my first call will be tooo"… Just godly

jessie-j.gif

Edited by folkloreking
  • Like 1

Truth, dare, spin bottles
You know how to ball, I know Aristotle

giphy.gif

Brand new, full throttle
Touch me while your bros play Grand Theft Auto

giphy.gif

It's true, swear, scouts honor
You knew what you wanted and, boy, you got her

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I also disagree about Florida!!!, it's a very good track even if it sounds a bit too much like FATM track with Taylor on a feature but who cares

"your good Lord doesn't need to lift a finger" not our good Lord?!

She has lost her faith. The manic episode made her lose her Tennessee Christian Values!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Klein said:

On the Jack subject,

I have been a Jack defender since day 1. I think him and Taylor are an excellent pairing and they've done so many amazing songs together. With TTPD, I feel like they've finally peaked together and that they've reached the limits of where Jack can take her sonically, which is what I always thought he could do. He brought his synths sensibilities and impeccably bridged the gap between a very conventional pop sound and a more experimental sound, especially on the second half of the standard edition. Songs like Who's Afraid, Florida or Fresh Out The Slammer are perfect representations of that.

But for the future, I would really like Taylor to fully cross that bridge and go into a more experimental sound, which is something I don't think Jack can do. 

This makes a lot of sense. As I replay the first album I really think this is their best work but as productive as their collaboration will be. 

18 minutes ago, ChapelHooker said:

music journalism is truly dead btw. writing for Paste like your doing a twitter thread...

It's literally a troll review :deadbanana4:

The Paste review reads like a high school student asked to write a fictional 2000 word essay critiquing something in the zeitgeist, using as many adjectives and idioms as possible. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.