Taylor Swift - 'THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT: THE ANTHOLOGY'

Almodusa

I'm honestly baffled by the lukewarm reviews (for her standards). The songwriting is topnotch. This may not be her genre-shifting shock album like 1989 or folklore but it encompasses a lot of great elements from her previous albums (the music is like a combination of Midnights, 1989 TV, Red TV, folkmore but with more elegant and mature lyrics). And for a long album like this I liked 90% of the songs, and the ones I don't get into much are the silent songs that need more digesting.

But hey, for me this is her magnum opus. It's like a culmination of the greatness of folkmore with the mastery of synth-pop production of Midnights/1989 TV with the angst and attack of Red TV.

• Like 12
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 48.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wastedpotential

• Dear Reader

• Klein

• Magickarp

The catchiness of this lengthy album js something else. s:wan:

Each song has something that latches onto you. I live. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Mr. Duff said:

I'm honestly baffled by the lukewarm reviews (for her standards). The songwriting is topnotch. This may not be her genre-shifting shock album like 1989 or folklore but it encompasses a lot of great elements from her previous albums (the music is like a combination of Midnights, 1989 TV, Red TV, folkmore but with more elegant and mature lyrics). And for a long album like this I liked 90% of the songs, and the ones I don't get into much are the silent songs that need more digesting.

But hey, for me this is her magnum opus. It's like a culmination of the greatness of folkmore with the mastery of synth-pop production of Midnights/1989 TV with the angst and attack of Red TV.

Speak on it. Poets is directly personal folkmore and I just don't get how people who enjoy folkmore don't seem to enjoy this one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Music criticism is a dead field of journalism :rip: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Black Dog is hitting. 

ezgif-3-9e3185f972.thumb.gif.86028808da0

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TaylorNation said:

to be fair, if she stopped the variants (or did then very lowkey like Evermore and Speak Now TV) "mass releasing" wouldn't be an issue imo 

I totally get the release strategy for the Taylor Versions but they have been dragging on for SO long. and she's probably going to get dragged anyways whenever she decides to release them, so it doesn't really make a difference 

This 

Fortnight is THE perfect introduction to this album. :jonny5:

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Life Savers said:

One of her bests ever iktr 

I'm so depressed, I act like it's my birthday every day

Edited by mael
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Duff said:

I think years from now the critics will love the album for what it is. This is not our first rodeo and it has happen multiple times before.

Edited by Fama
  • Like 2

He said he'd love me for all time

But that life was quite short 

Breaking down I hit the floor

All the pieces of me shattered as the crowd chanting MORE

ZYMVzRf.gif

Edited by mael

unless i'm actively listening to fortnight i can't remember the song. the damn tiktok ai snippet pops into my head every time :deadbanana2:

• Haha 2

WAAAAAAAIT, is I Can Do It With A Broken about both Joe and Matty... cause She changed a few words in the chorus

He said he'd love me all his life

But that life was too short

to 

He said he'd love me for all-time

But that time was quite short

ZYMVzRf.gif

16 minutes ago, Mr. Duff said:

The thing I don't get is the complaint of songs sounding the same. I tried to get some of my friends who aren't really in the loop with anything pop culture and most of them say that songs sound the same. For me, that's just something that happens with a sonically cohesive album. Pair that with the fact you're hearing it for the first time.

I have songs that I don't like on the album, but they aren't for anything other than really subject matter that I dislike them. I did the math and it's still 84% of the album I have had on repeat since and will have on repeat for a long time. I wake up in the morning, and the song is stuck in my head. Headphones are immediately on, and I listen to the album on repeat all day. This album is in my top 5 - breaking top 4 will be hard for her; folklore is number 4 in my rankings and we all know how strong that record is.

Edited by Gladiator
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

The thing I don't get is the complaint of songs sounding the same. I tried to get some of my friends who aren't really in the loop with anything pop culture and most of them say that songs sound the same. For me, that's just something that happens with a sonically cohesive album. Pair that with the fact you're hearing it for the first time.

I have songs that I don't like on the album, but they aren't for anything other than really subject matter that I dislike them. I did the math and it's still 84% of the album I have had on repeat since and will have on repeat for a long time. I wake up in the morning, and the song is stuck in my head. Headphones are immediately on, and I listen to the album on repeat all day. This album is in my top 5 - breaking top 4 will be hard for her; folklore is number 4 in my rankings and we all know how strong that record is.

I mean maybe it's because we're fans but I genuinely don't understand how you can hear Fortnight, Florida!!! and The Albatross and find them anything alike :hoetenks:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Life Savers said:

I mean maybe it's because we're fans but I genuinely don't understand how you can hear Fortnight, Florida!!! and The Albatross and find them anything alike :hoetenks:

That's what I'm thinking. They sound completely different from one another. 

19 minutes ago, Life Savers said:

That's because it's the best song off TTPD! Periodt!

5 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

It's kind of like when you're at school and people pick on you, you can only ignore it for so long before you lash out. 

Bruh Surely you don't believe this is the dynamic here right??

The fact that they have nothing else but "reviews" to post, is something to LAUGH at, not to be bothered by. 

because the reality of situation is that Taylor has so outdone their flopped faves, that they can't talk commercial performances, charts, numbers, sales, audience size, records, streams, career sales, tour sizes, revenue earned, none. nothing. All ghey have left are  the worthless, pointless opinions of some bald 30 year old guy which is worth less than the air you're breathing out.  And you somehow come to the notion that this is a "getting picked on in school" situation? 

bruh it's more like you're showing up to school in $10000 LVs while those poor SOBs are barely able to find a piece of trashed newspaper to cover their bodies with. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, TaylorNation said:

to be fair, if she stopped the variants (or did then very lowkey like Evermore and Speak Now TV) "mass releasing" wouldn't be an issue imo 

I totally get the release strategy for the Taylor Versions but they have been dragging on for SO long. and she's probably going to get dragged anyways whenever she decides to release them, so it doesn't really make a difference 

This might be a very unpopular opinion but I don't want her to stop doing variants. Not for the sales or charts, but for my own personal reasons looool sometimes the standard cover just isn't my favourite and I like having the choice to pick my own cover that suits the album the most in my head.

I can't imagine ever not having The Black Dog cover or The Albatross cover and just having to live with the standard one forever. 

:clack:

I think the main issue for fans lie with the fact that they reveal the vinyls one-by-one for 48 hours on the store, making people believe that it's limited edition and creates FOMO. I feel like the anger (at least from fans) will die down if  all the variants were revealed at the same time with no time-limit to buy them. Just keep them on the store website permanently. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mael said:

He said he'd love me for all time

But that life was quite short 

Breaking down I hit the floor

All the pieces of me shattered as the crowd chanting MORE

ZYMVzRf.gif

when she performs this at Eras and the fans make that a real fanchant "MORE!!" :deadbanana2:

Edited by Mandalore
  • Haha 1

I do think that Taylor could do with returning to drawing inspiration from the greats of yesteryear as opposed to trying to emulate some of her contemporaries. Lana's touch is found on this album (not as much as OTHs would have you believe - all these songs are painfully Taylor Swift) and there are some songs that I feel lift things from the likes of the 1975 and Phoebe Bridgers (the title track especially which contains some absolutely bizarre lyrics which I don't think Taylor can sell but other artists would just about get away with). 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Kitboga said:

Bruh Surely you don't believe this is the dynamic here right??

The fact that they have nothing else but "reviews" to post, is something to LAUGH at, not to be bothered by. 

because the reality of situation is that Taylor has so outdone their flopped faves, that they can't talk commercial performances, charts, numbers, sales, audience size, records, streams, career sales, tour sizes, revenue earned, none. nothing. All ghey have left are  the worthless, pointless opinions of some bald 30 year old guy which is worth less than the air you're breathing out.  And you somehow come to the notion that this is a "getting picked on in school" situation? 

bruh it's more like you're showing up to school in $10000 LVs while those poor SOBs are barely able to find a piece of trashed newspaper to cover their bodies with. 

This is very true. :giraffe:

Full ranking as of right now: 

Spoiler

KjjOi5J.jpeg

Nothing below an 8/10, this is really the greatest album of all time huh :WAP:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Timeless said:

Not for the sales or charts, but for my own personal reasons looool sometimes the standard cover just isn't my favourite and I like having the choice to pick my own cover that suits the album the most in my head.

She needs digital variants too. How Jade Green Midnights is not the cover for Midnights is criminal.

Same for Aquamarine green 1989!!

The Albatross is so much more superior to the standard one. I love that variant!

They're so perfectly fitting for the visuals of their albums imo.

Edited by Gladiator
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 1989 said:

Full ranking as of right now: 

Hide contents

KjjOi5J.jpeg

Nothing below an 8/10, this is really the greatest album of all time huh :WAP:

What's the link to that?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.