Split bill on first date. Yes or no?

Before Today

Once a guy asked me to split 50/50 while he ordered the most expensive food at restaurant and i ordered just a salad :rip: i never talked to him anymore after this date lmfao. I'd rather just to pay for myself

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• velocity

• getBusy

• Ichinaru19

• Cain

10 minutes ago, honestopinion said:

Once a guy asked me to split 50/50 while he ordered the most expensive food at restaurant and i ordered just a salad :rip: i never talked to him anymore after this date lmfao. I'd rather just to pay for myself

This is a common thing in every situation, someone orders the most expensive dish or they buy several drinks for themselves and demand a split bill later :coffee2: The best way to avoid this is to just pay for your dish and drink :bird:

wait when people say split the bill do they mean split the total so we'd both be paying half of our combined costs?

i'd assumed splitting meant paying for what you ordered for yourself :chick1:

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, flower moon said:

wait when people say split the bill do they mean split the total so we'd both be paying half of our combined costs?

i'd assumed splitting meant paying for what you ordered for yourself :chick1:

I meant paying what you ordered

1 hour ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

its very telling of the person imo

This is true, someone that always lets other people pay for them is telling on themselves 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is such an outdated concept that was somehow relevant when men were the breadwinners in families and women didn't have the access to the same resources. Nowadays I would do whatever means not putting any pressure on any side. If you're having a rough time financially, it's very nice to pay for everything. If you insist on paying because that's how you were raised, that's very nice as well, but it wouldn't change my mind about you either way.

• Thanks 9

I don't think I've ever done a dinner date but I had a coffee date once. Regardless splitting is the way to go, at least on the first date. When you let someone pay for you it makes them think that you owe them something that you don't.

It was also the worst date I've ever had

Edited by Illuminati

i'm a woman and i'd never pay on a first date :rip: i think men who demand it are embarrassing

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JoeAg said:

eh. I don't like dinner dates, I prefer a movie and then cuddling back at one of our places tbh

or if one of us makes food! idk i feel like traditional going out to restaurant dates are something I'll appreciate more in my 30s-40s

for now, as a poor ass person, i find other types of dates more appealing

but I guess to answer the OP, yeah I'm down for a bill split if i have a date like that. idk it's hard to think about this one in theory cause that kind of date is so foreign to me, even when i date girls sometimes

mte

• Like 1

Up to you. 

Although it's equal. It's a date, of two people. 

If I'm asking someone somewhere out on a date, I'm covering all of the standard costs. I wouldn't ask or otherwise expect them to pay anything, unless they just start shopping while we're out and about or they start going for lagniappe. Similarly, I'd expect to not have to pay anything if someone asked me out on a date; though I would still offer to pay. I'm very conservative whenever someone asks me out as it is, and I'd expect them to also be sensible should I ask them out.

It ultimately just depends on the details of the date and what we're doing.

• Like 1

i'm curious what the "the one who asks the other out should be the one paying" side thinks because i'm genuinely curious: do you also think the inviter should cover the transportation expenses for the other party to get to the location of the date? i mean would you buy them gas for their car or pay for their metro pass, if you think the invitee should never pay since it wasn't their idea to go out on a date in the first place?

as a man, i don't care cause if i ask you out then i should be willing & able to pay, but if they want to split bill/pay on their own then it's okay and i wouldn't mind it

NEVER and I'm gay

I fiddle with my pocket to show that i'm open to pay but if they say split, I say i will pay for my own thing i don't split the bill

also whoever invites, pays. I don't invite.

11 minutes ago, 40000000000000 said:

i'm curious what the "the one who asks the other out should be the one paying" side thinks because i'm genuinely curious: do you also think the inviter should cover the transportation expenses for the other party to get to the location of the date? i mean would you buy them gas for their car or pay for their metro pass, if you think the invitee should never pay since it wasn't their idea to go out on a date in the first place?

That just depends on the scenario and how far we're driving. If I'm meeting someone somewhere, and I invited them, I've never been asked to pay for their gas—nor do I offer. Just as I wouldn't expect someone to pay for my gas if they asked me out somewhere. If we're going out of town to the next city, and we're riding together, I'd offer to give them some gas money—especially if it's my idea. Whether or not they asked me out somewhere out of town, I wouldn't ask them for gas money. I just don't care all that much, personally. I can buy my own gas.

3 hours ago, PrettyHurts said:

Splitting with someone you don't know is weird

Literally helping save money to someone you don't know is weirder

• Like 1

I'm always paying because a) it's usually me who is asking someone out; b) I don't go on random dates with randos; c) I've never had a bad date in my entire life and it's always a great time. I imagine counting who's had how many coffees would instantly kill the vibe, at least mine. Must be so awkward :rip: Though I'm not gonna be insisting too much, if you wanna pay for yourself so bad then fine.

Only for gays 

29 minutes ago, 40000000000000 said:

I mean I could but I wouldn't wanna meet anyone who's asking for gas money before the first date. So tacky :rip: I could and will drive you though.

11 minutes ago, getBusy said:

Literally helping save money to someone you don't know is weirder

I understand times are tough but taking someone you barely know to fine dining is stupid so y'all getting worked up over $35 and a possible tip. It's just a meal :rip:

5 minutes ago, Prodigal Self said:

I understand times are tough but taking someone you barely know to fine dining is stupid so y'all getting worked up over $35 and a possible tip. It's just a meal :rip:

No one is getting worked up over anything, and it's not about the money. I still find it weird even if i'm the one who's not paying. I don't need a stranger to cover my meal. 

Personally the one inviting should pay. 

Went on a first date one time and bill was $450. I ain't splitting that… he asked me out and chose the restaurant. 

if we go on a date to McDonald's then yeah we can split :ryan3:

Edited by bjorn
  • Haha 1

i always offer or even pretend to pay just to be polite 

The guy or the top should pay.

• Thanks 1

For men and women the man should always pay 1000%. This is not an "archaic" view. Not only are women the prize but they go through so much more for a first-date. For all they know this man could be a serial killer/r*pist and she's putting her life in danger, then there's even the simpler things of her spending more time getting ready, etc. The least a man can do is pay the entire bill :rip:

As for gays, either split or whoever asked pays in full.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.