HDD: 'TORTURED POETS' to debut at #1 with 2.60M units | 1.92M pure sales & 671k SEA

Feanor

What if there's another set of songs, like she does a triple album thingy? :cupid:

• Haha 1

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• family.guy123

• Raspberries

• wastedpotential

• Kitboga

5 hours ago, MP3 said:

Imagine if we were in the 80's/90's, her sales would have been in the tens and tens of million, probably even higher than Thrillers, I know we can't really compare with streamings and stuff but even with a fraction of people who would have buy the album instead of streaming it it would still had million of copies sold in only one day

She benefits from social media and streaming which didn't exist back then and makes music a lot more accessible now. It's not a like for like equivalent. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

(niche reference) At this point Taylor's career is as if Galadriel had actually snatched the One Ring

All shall love her and despair :WAP:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gaia said:

She benefits from social media and streaming which didn't exist back then and makes music a lot more accessible now. It's not a like for like equivalent. 

but doesn't that apply to everyone? is not like only she has access to social media and streaming in the current days, where are other people doing numbers like her? :deadbanana4:

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, MatiRod said:

(niche reference) At this point Taylor's career is as if Galadriel had actually snatched the One Ring

the william wyler (3x best picture winner) of music 

9 minutes ago, MatiRod said:

Hmmm yes but in the 80s everyone watched like three TV channels and the few radio stations in your area. No internet. No streaming. When you went home, you watched those few channels on TV. In the car, you listened to the radio. Everyone consumed the same very limited amount of media, which means anything that was popular was WAY more popular. The hits back then felt WAY bigger than the big hits of today. Only "Flowers" in the last year or so feels as big as the hits of yesteryear. Now everything is so insanely fragmented.

cruel summer taking 37 weeks in the global Spotify top 10 was huge too (flowers 25)

Edited by fridayteenage

Amazing Numbers.

How much did Adele's last album sell?

Can Taylor Swift do the impossible? Could her latest Republic rocket, THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT, soar into the rarefied air of 2 million+ in first-week activity? Numerous data-watchers are prepared to say she can.

It looks like HDD reworded their article. They sound less sure of the 2M+ debut now, and even took the sentence of them saying that 2M is the floor out completely. :lakitu:

1 hour ago, Feanor said:

It looks like HDD reworded their article. They sound less sure of the 2M+ debut now, and even took the sentence of them saying that 2M is the floor out completely. :lakitu:

so they heard the album :chick3:

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Down 8

1 hour ago, Feanor said:

Sounds to me like they only updated it to maintain intrigue + reflect the all-time records on Spotify and Amazon. 2M certainly seems like it's on lock.

1 hour ago, DemDam92 said:

Amazing Numbers.

How much did Adele's last album sell?

Really puts into perspective how big her decline was. 

• Thumbs Down 1

7 hours ago, Gaia said:

I exactly said we can't compare today with then but we can still make a link

Back then it was TV, radio and newspaper/magazines, she would have been everywhere on these, music videos would have been played all the time, her songs would have played on every radio, she would have been on every magazine for her music/love life/rumours etc. For sure streaming makes music way much accessible but back then it was just normal to go buy the album/single you heard on the radio. This habit of going to the store and buy the music simply change by doing the same thing on a phone/computer. The album you stream and listen in full today would have probably been an album you would have bought in the 80's/90's 

6 hours ago, MatiRod said:

Okay this is my favorite way that I have ever seen to describe Taylor's career :ryan3:

9 minutes ago, MP3 said:

I exactly said we can't compare today with then but we can still make a link

Back then it was TV, radio and newspaper/magazines, she would have been everywhere on these, music videos would have been played all the time, her songs would have played on every radio, she would have been on every magazine for her music/love life/rumours etc. For sure streaming makes music way much accessible but back then it was just normal to go buy the album/single you heard on the radio. This habit of going to the store and buy the music simply change by doing the same thing on a phone/computer. The album you stream and listen in full today would have probably been an album you would have bought in the 80's/90's 

Do you think people would have cared about Taylor this much when there was prime MJ, Madonna, Prince, Queen/Freddie, David Bowie, Whitney, Mariah, Celine etc. available instead?

There's just something about today's music industry being so uneventful that Taylor is able to stand out so much

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

Do you think people would have cared about Taylor this much when there was prime MJ, Madonna, Prince, Queen/Freddie, David Bowie, Whitney, Mariah, Celine etc. available instead?

There's just something about today's music industry being so uneventful that Taylor is able to stand out so much

She's not less or more talented than some people you named there, I mean she's writing music that a lot of people relate to, she has a decent voice, she plays instruments, her image is liked by many people, I see no reason why she wouldn't have been as big as today back then. The topics she's writing mostly about are situations that happened before, that happens today and will happen after. There is something very timeless about her overall work

• Like 7
  • Thumbs Down 1

14 hours ago, MP3 said:

Imagine if we were in the 80's/90's, her sales would have been in the tens and tens of million, probably even higher than Thrillers, I know we can't really compare with streamings and stuff but even with a fraction of people who would have buy the album instead of streaming it it would still had million of copies sold in only one day

It doesn't work like that, y'all did the same thing with Adele.

Saying **** like if 21 and 25 were released in the 90s they would've sold 100M & 50M completely ignoring the competition around back then.

Taylor would never have an album the size of Thriller in any decade and she doesn't need to, her peak is unique in that it's mainly about her whole catalogue. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, anti-***** said:

She stands out BECAUSE of her sales 

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, MP3 said:

She's not less or more talented than some people you named there, I mean she's writing music that a lot of people relate to, she has a decent voice, she plays instruments, her image is liked by many people, I see no reason why she wouldn't have been as big as today back then. The topics she's writing mostly about are situations that happened before, that happens today and will happen after. There is something very timeless about her overall work

But what you said is subjective

Taylor's definitely loved by millions of people. But if you look at her audience at the Eras tour, it seems to be mostly white girls and gays. And I know that's the same with many of our faves on this website. But at least Michael Jackson had superb mass appeal at one point. And The Beatles and Queen/Freddie Mercury too, especially outside US. Perhaps Madonna too

I don't know if you are one of those people saying that Taylor is the biggest artist of all time, but I think we are all biased in our own cultural contexts. It's very difficult to compare different eras in time

but it's safe to say she's the artist of the decade, for sure

2 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

Taylor's definitely loved by millions of people. But if you look at her audience at the Eras tour, it seems to be mostly white girls and gays. And I know that's the same with many of our faves on this website. But at least Michael Jackson had superb mass appeal at one point. And The Beatles and Queen/Freddie Mercury too, especially outside US. Perhaps Madonna too

You can't really judge mass appeal by looking at a snapshot of the most devoted fans. The Beatles tours had just as many white teenage girls as a Taylor Swift concert.

No doubt Taylor Swift is the most dominant female-leaning musician ever, though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RobynYoBank said:

You can't really judge mass appeal by looking at a snapshot of the most devoted fans. The Beatles tours had just as many white teenage girls as a Taylor Swift concert.

No doubt Taylor Swift is the most dominant female-leaning musician ever, though.

But you know the Beatles fan girls were so hysterical that they had to stop touring altogether. They couldn't hear the music from all the screaming. Many guys (lads) loved them too, but it was more just buying their records

anyway, it's different times. Everything is more laid back these days. People don't have to leave their homes to buy records or anything. In this context, yes, Taylor is massive

56 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

I don't know if you are one of those people saying that Taylor is the biggest artist of all time, but I think we are all biased in our own cultural contexts. It's very difficult to compare different eras in time

but it's safe to say she's the artist of the decade, for sure

Biased or not in the actual cultural context, in a couple of decades, if nobody surpass her numbers, she will be considered top achievers along with the Beatles, Jackson, Madonna, etc. It's all based on objective numbers, sales, touring numbers, awards, number of #1's, etc.

I enjoy Taylor's music but she's not one of my top artists, I'm just amazed by her receipts and cultural impact, since 2-3 years she really made herself a place among the top artists in history

6 hours ago, CaptainMusic said:

Really puts into perspective how big her decline was. 

Really purs into perspective how big her peaks were too. 

Here are the HDD updates for Midnights:

Saturday 10/23 @ 11:51 am: 1.1-1.2M

Monday 10/25 @ 9:41 am: 1.4-1.6M

Tuesday 10/26 @ 4:46 pm: 1.466M

Friday 10.28 @ 3:13pm: 1.537M

So we should be getting the first TTPD update in the next hour or so

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ms. Togekiss said:

Here are the HDD updates for Midnights:

Saturday 10/23 @ 11:51 am: 1.1-1.2M