Better songwriter: Billie, Lorde or Taylor?

Galaxy

?  

222 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Billie
    • Lorde
    • Taylor

I voted for Billie but then I remembered I was actually voting for Finneas. Now that's a good songwriter.

Tayble cant write, fight me.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kayseri Mantisi

• liquiddiamonds

• PoisonedIvy

• Mr.X

On 4/15/2024 at 4:24 AM, liquiddiamonds said:

At 22 Billie is way more impressive. Her stuff washes everything Lorde and Taylor had by that age. Lorde stans clearly pressed because her next album is coming for blood and Lorde has a dud to redeem

If age 22 is the criteria, the answer is easy, it's Lorde.

Lorde had a breakthrough writing "Royals" at 15, and Pure Heroine was released when she was 16, working with Joel Little.

As stereogum wrote just a couple of days ago:

"Royals" changed the idea of what a #1 hit could be, and we're still living in its aftermath."

They also wrote:

It's frankly impossible to imagine Halsey and Billie Eilish, two acts that this column will cover, existing without Lorde's example.

She then collaborated with a number of different artists and producers while curating a Hunger Games soundtrack album in 2014, worked with Disclosure on "Magnets" in 2015, then worked with Jack Antonoff, Frank Dukes, Flume, Malay, Tove Lo and other collaborators to release Melodrama when she was 20.

Billie has achieved a lot at 22, but almost everything has been with just one major co-writer/producer, her brother.

Taylor has some great songs of course, but 22 was when she was still writing "22" and her best was ahead of her, even if she did have a few missteps, like most of Lover and Midnights.

• Thanks 1

• ATRL Moderator

Melodrama is one of my favorite albums of all time. By far. But I gotta go with Taylor. It’s easy to point out the writing flops from her discography (e.g., ME!) and judge her entirely from that. But the fact remains that this woman was somehow able to drop folklore and evermore back to back only a few months apart with songs like “the lakes” where she’s singing about escapism through the lens of a romantic era movement in the landscape of COVID-19. She’s also the only one to make a 10 minute long song that people will enjoy from start to end (by comparison, one of Billie’s longest songs has a more popular edit that only includes the second half). Taylor simply has such a vast library of well-written songs that are so densely interconnected it’s a bit hard to compare it to Lorde and Billie in a fair way. 

That said, they’re all great artists and I think Melodrama is the best pure concept album of among the discography of the three. 

• Like 1

Lana

Taylor > Lorde >>>>>>>> Billie

just look at Billie's interview.

every her answer seems suspicious, and kinda d*mb.

doesn't like her "lyrics".

i strongly believe, her brother is wrote mostly her song lyrics. :celestial5:

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Bloo said:

Melodrama is one of my favorite albums of all time. By far. But I gotta go with Taylor. It's easy to point out the writing flops from her discography (e.g., ME!) and judge her entirely from that. But the fact remains that this woman was somehow able to drop folklore and evermore back to back only a few months apart with songs like "the lakes" where she's singing about escapism through the lens of a romantic era movement in the landscape of COVID-19. She's also the only one to make a 10 minute long song that people will enjoy from start to end (by comparison, one of Billie's longest songs has a more popular edit that only includes the second half). Taylor simply has such a vast library of well-written songs that are so densely interconnected it's a bit hard to compare it to Lorde and Billie in a fair way. 

That said, they're all great artists and I think Melodrama is the best pure concept album of among the discography of the three. 

In what way does the full 5-minute version of HTE having 1.3 billion streams, make you think the edit with 500m streams is more popular?

• Thanks 1

Lorde's songwriting is quite touching, and she does not have to rely on metaphors and higher-order vocabulary to achieve that. Simplicity is the charm, and that's the edge it boasts of. Perfect Places alone is a testament to her songwriting skills, but it especially hits me with "All those nights spent off our faces, trying to find these perfect places, what are perfect places anyway?". The wording is simple and digestible, but it resonates like roaring waves within you. 

So yeah, I'd vote for Lorde. 

Billie can be a gifted songwriter at times but she is still maturing as an artist and I can safely anticipate that her future records will feature stronger and more well-crafted songwriting. What Was I Made For? illuminates that she is heading in the right direction in terms of songwriting. I hate having to hold an artist on a pedestal where they are expected to be at the pace of another artist who is a completely different individual with their own experiences that define and shape them, which ultimately seep into their art. Just because she isn't as good as her counterparts by 21 doesn't mean she won't get there. 

Taylor can be cringe with songwriting, and I disagree with the notion of her being the best songwriter this century has to offer, but when her lyrics hit, they hit. I love how she weaves the words in the lyrics of songs like August and Seven. Folklore is a masterclass in songwriting at its highs. 

Lorde > Taylor > Billie

Edited by Blackout2006
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think there's a degree of catalog bias as Taylor has a much larger discography.

That being said, I've always been drawn to Lorde because of her lyrics. She just has a very unique way of reflecting her feelings and finding innovative ways to express them in her work. 

Taylor is a phenomena but I think a lot of her new content has gotten a bit cookie-cutter in recent years.

Billie is obviously very talented but I think I'd like to see what she can accomplish with someone other than her brother. She still has something to prove in my eyes.

• Thanks 1

Well the poll results definitely aged like milk on this thread, especially after seeing the recent Charlie Puth lyrics and more.

:rip:

• Haha 2

Taylor Swift just reaffirmed her position as the best one after 'TTPD'. :jonny:

• Confused 2

Taylor > Lorde. Both are extraordinary, Taylor is just more versatile.

Billie has not proved herself as a songwriter yet. When she has body of work solo written/without her brother, then we rank her skill 

6 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Lorde's songwriting is quite touching, and she does not have to rely on metaphors and higher-order vocabulary to achieve that. Simplicity is the charm, and that's the edge it boasts of. Perfect Places alone is a testament to her songwriting skills, but it especially hits me with "All those nights spent off our faces, trying to find these perfect places, what are perfect places anyway?". The wording is simple and digestible, but it resonates like roaring waves within you. 

So yeah, I'd vote for Lorde. 

Billie can be a gifted songwriter at times but she is still maturing as an artist and I can safely anticipate that her future records will feature stronger and more well-crafted songwriting. What Was I Made For? illuminates that she is heading in the right direction in terms of songwriting. I hate having to hold an artist on a pedestal where they are expected to be at the pace of another artist who is a completely different individual with their own experiences that define and shape them, which ultimately seep into their art. Just because she isn't as good as her counterparts by 21 doesn't mean she won't get there. 

Taylor can be cringe with songwriting, and I disagree with the notion of her being the best songwriter this century has to offer, but when her lyrics hit, they hit. I love how she weaves the words in the lyrics of songs like August and Seven. Folklore is a masterclass in songwriting at its highs. 

Lorde > Taylor > Billie

:clap3:

• Like 1

Taylor, Billie, Lorde 

Lorde's lyrics are too try hard. Like girl, just get the point across without me having to googling wtf you're talking about!

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, shinyshimmery said:

Taylor, Billie, Lorde 

Lorde's lyrics are too try hard. Like girl, just get the point across without me having to googling wtf you're talking about!

Is this a joke? Lorde's lyrics are known for being simple to understand while also being extremely relatable and meaningful

Taylor's lyrics are mostly considered try hard and "having to google", as most of the replies in this thread said too

1 hour ago, Kayseri Mantisi said:

Is this a joke? Lorde's lyrics are known for being simple to understand while also being extremely relatable and meaningful

Taylor's lyrics are mostly considered try hard and "having to google", as most of the replies in this thread said too

"I cut my teeth on wedding rings in the movies"

like whut? 

I think Lorde, but I guess a 2 time Oscar winning songwriter would be the obvious choice?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Lorde>>>

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2024 at 11:14 AM, shinyshimmery said:

Taylor, Billie, Lorde 

Me when I don't understand metaphors

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bielneira said:

Lorde ofc!

:clap3:

Lorde, duh

Girl was correcting her mother's masters thesis when she was 14 and her mother got an A+ she has a special way to deal with words

• Haha 1

well...

after the latest offering from a certain singer-songwriter, the answer seems clearer than ever 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SweetOreosOfHeaven said:

well...

after the latest offering from a certain singer-songwriter, the answer seems clearer than ever 

Like.... 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.