Did Beyoncé miss the point of Jolene?

DTF

I guess people are listening to find out.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kristie Kuwa

• Embustera

• Bey'Knight

• Rotunda

Meanwhile, Ms. Dolly getting her coins regardless, like she always do. Yea, I'm sure she is as happy as a tick on a fat dog with Beyoncé "missing the point". 

raven-symone-meme.gif

• Thumbs Down 1

she's always about her man cheating on her, can she come up with sth else

• Like 1

She did. BIG TIME. She turned a song about a woman's insecurities, vulnerability and MAYBE even a lesbian subtext disguised as "jealousy" (or more simply, a woman praising another woman) into yet another self empowing "anthem" that only Beyoncé herself can relate to. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 4:39 PM, Absinthe said:

She stripped the song of all its vulnerability, which is what made the original a classic. There's nothing harder than unabashedly admitting someone is better looking than you. 

This. She turned a song about vulnerability into yet another "I'm flawless, I'm Beyoncé" song. 

No, but maybe you missed the point of Beyoncé's Jolene :sistrens:

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

Yes, she did.

Jolene offers a different perspective, and Beyonce makes into the same old bland messages found in Nicki Minaj's songs.

• Thanks 1

People not understanding Beyoncé decided to make her own version of the song has been so funny to me. She has her own lyrics and perspective: "does that mean she doesn't understand the song?!” Like you cannot be that stupid to not understand this

I am in agreement that Dolly's original version along with Miley's cover are the superior versions, but didn't Dolly rewrite the lyrics? Not Beyoncé? 

4 minutes ago, TiaTamera said:

I am in agreement that Dolly's original version along with Miley's cover are the superior versions, but didn't Dolly rewrite the lyrics? Not Beyoncé? 

No, its just known as the Dolly-clause that if u decide to cover her songs, she has to be listed as the sole writer of the song

• Thanks 1

barbiegrande

Beyonce is a child of the 80s. Of course she's a Pick Me. Woman of her generation typically are but oh well who cares.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kristie Kuwa said:

No, its just known as the Dolly-clause that if u decide to cover her songs, she has to be listed as the sole writer of the song

Okay, I didn't know that. Thanks friend!:hug:

29 minutes ago, barbiegrande said:

Beyonce is a child of the 80s. Of course she's a Pick Me. Woman of her generation typically are but oh well who cares.

She literally was living separately from Jay for a few months and was close to divorcing him, its only that he put in the effort (therapy and change of lifestyle) that made her forgive and give him another chance. It was well documented on the OTRII-Tour

Yeah, she completely ruined it. I think she was trying to have a #girlboss moment but it fell flat.

Also, the lyrics in her version are absolutely atrocious. :rip:

She sort of eliminated the complexity the original had

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah, she completely ruined it. I think she was trying to have a #girlboss moment but it fell flat.

Also, the lyrics in her version are absolutely atrocious. :rip:

You're insufferable almost 100% of the time

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.