Did Beyoncé miss the point of Jolene?

DTF

Cowboy Carter has been released to high anticipation with her Jolene cover

however many diehard Beyoncé fans have noticed her songwriting on Jolene misses the vision of the original

Why do you think her verse is not being well received by the hive?

• Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Down 5

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kristie Kuwa

• Embustera

• Bey'Knight

• TiaTamera

And "writing songs about how her husband sucks"!? Have those people even listen to her biography? It's literally the contrary sentiment in her whole discography. :lmao:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Bey's worm feels likea parody. The chorus melody has a vulnerable/begging quality that is lost

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

Yes, her version is unlistenable.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Down 10

Her version sucks tbh. I'm sticking with the original.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 8

Changing the meaning behind the song is completely fine with me, she has her own experiences and story to tell. That said, the writing is pretty bad and it just doesn't flow well with the melody imo. I'll stick to enjoying the rest of the songs on the album 

• Like 3

obviously she wasn't aiming to be faithful to the original....hence her changing most of the lyrics..

i was never a huge fan of the original so i'm not bothered by her doing something different with it

• Like 1

uhm what? 

yes dolly's jolene was about the powerlessness of a woman seeing another take her man away from her

and beyoncé's version is about a woman warning another to not try it

that's... what a 'reimagined' version of a song means... it's the same story, but through beyoncé's eyes and the way she would've handled it... literally the definition of a 're-imagination' :deadbanana4:

the point of jolene (the song) is in the singer's point of view

:pancake:

• Like 6

It's fine to not enjoy it and to offer critiques of it, but no, Beyonce didn't miss the point. She offered up her own interpretation in the same way Ari did with The Boy Is Mine. The way the tweets are phrased (esp the first one, miss irregardless) implies a very annoying victimhood over a SONG. They can relax a bit.

• Like 10
  • Thumbs Down 1

The song is meant as an own interpretation rather than a cover. That is part of art.

There are various examples of people doing this in music. One of the most recent examples may be Miley's Flowers' where she used Bruno Mars' song as reference and worked from her own point of view to use it as an answer to the topics talked into that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had no clue Jolene was seen as a queer anthem until my lesbian friend messaged me about how much she hated Bey's version :deadbanana: I guess for that crowd it's a doozie 

Personally I'm not the biggest fan of the new lyrics, they're kinda tired to me, but it's still a nice rendition 

Just now, elevate said:

It's fine to not enjoy it and to offer critiques of it, but no, Beyonce didn't miss the point. She offered up her own interpretation in the same way Ari did with The Boy Is Mine. The way the tweets are phrased (esp the first one, miss irregardless) implies a very annoying victimhood over a SONG. They can relax a bit.

i feel like they're trying to make the original sound more feminist than it was :skull: not everything is about female unity and empowerment. i like that beyoncé took a stronger bitter woman approach to it, a lot of women feel that way

• Like 3

I feel like Beyonce's was an honest take on that song, even though no one but her ugly (soon to be P. Diddied) husband should be blamed for any infidelity.

• Thumbs Down 1

She obviously knew what she was doing in flipping the script of the sng. Beyoncé clearly has rich musical knowledge and I'm tired of people bastardizing her work to its simplest form as if that's all she's capable of understanding. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The original is....still there? Beyoncé didn't need to do version that is faithful to Dolly's rendition.

I didn't expect B's version to have new verses etc.....it's almost a continuation that references Dolly's recording & Lemonade. Very meta.

I love CC though I don't like her version of Jolene that being said she can interpret the song however she likes

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PrettyHurts said:

obviously she wasn't aiming to be faithful to the original....hence her changing most of the lyrics..

i was never a huge fan of the original so i'm not bothered by her doing something different with it

11 minutes ago, TROPICUM said:

uhm what? 

yes dolly's jolene was about the powerlessness of a woman seeing another take her man away from her

and beyoncé's version is about a woman warning another to not try it

that's... what a 'reimagined' version of a song means... it's the same story, but through beyoncé's eyes and the way she would've handled it... literally the definition of a 're-imagination' :deadbanana4:

the point of jolene (the song) is in the singer's point of view

:pancake:

7 minutes ago, J-esper said:

The song is meant as an own interpretation rather than a cover. That is part of art.

There are various examples of people doing this in music. One of the most recent examples may be Miley's Flowers' where she used Bruno Mars' song as reference and worked from her own point of view to use it as an answer to the topics talked into that.

3 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

She obviously knew what she was doing in flipping the script of the sng. Beyoncé clearly has rich musical knowledge and I'm tired of people bastardizing her work to its simplest form as if that's all she's capable of understanding. 

1 minute ago, Yakult said:

The original is....still there? Beyoncé didn't need to do version that is faithful to Dolly's rendition.

I didn't expect B's version to have new verses etc.....it's almost a continuation that references Dolly's recording & Lemonade. Very meta.

They GET that Beyonce is doing a new version. DUH! They just think her version sucks and is a reductive take on the complex original.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

They GET that Beyonce is doing a new version. DUH! They just think her version sucks and is a reductive take on the complex original.

well they should go stream Dolly's version and leave us alone

I think u missed the point that Bey took the song and made it HER own :suburban:

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 minute ago, Kristie Kuwa said:

I think u missed the point that Bey took the song and made it HER own :suburban:

And that means everyone has to like HER version?

Edited by GraceRandolph
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

And that means everyone has to like HER version?

No obviously. Music does never have to be liked by everybody. What in the sheep herd mentality?

If u like Dollys approach more, her version is right there. If you like Beys, its now also there. Go streams the #3 song on US AM right now :-*

Edited by Kristie Kuwa
  • Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.