Renaissance vs. Cowboy Carter: better act?

TROPICUM

270 members have voted

1. 1. ....

i know it's super early to decide, but basing it off your initial reaction to Act II, did it surpass Act I?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• futuresuperstar2023

• TROPICUM

• Johnny Jacobs

• Cruel Summer

Cowboy cater is more mature but renaissance is still that girl. 

Hard to pick tbh. Both albums are totally different from each other. I would vote for for Renaissance I guess coz it gave me a different experience I never had before. But CC is a phenomenal record. It's hard to choose. 😓

• Like 3

Renaissance. [2]

Both are phenomenal albums but I'd have to go with Cowboy Carter. As someone who's been a lifelong fan of country music and Beyoncé, I can't fully put into words how much this album means to me.

• Like 8

both are masterpieces but Renaissance

Cowboy Carter feels like a roadtrip movie soundtrack. Just pure bliss. 

Maybe it's the Southerner in me.

• Like 5

Cowboy Carter all the way

Rena is for the baguettes

:hippo:

• Like 1

For now, Reni because it's sharper.

Cowboy Carter's best is at the same level or higher, but too much filler. And of course, Bey's definition of "filler" is different than others. It's still good but good has no place amongst GREATNESS. It's disruptive 

18 or 19 of the best songs would have been perfect 

I have to preface this with mentioning that I'm the relatively rare case of a listener who does really love a lot of Beyoncé's work - especially from 4 and onward - who just couldn't ever 100% click with Renaissance. I liked it, it has songs I go back to occasionally, but it just didn't hit like self-titled did, and it wasn't even in the same world as Lemonade for me. I can understand from an objective standpoint why it's so highly regarded among fans and other listeners, but it didn't impact me in the same way it clearly impacted a lot of others.

That disclaimer out of the way, Cowboy Carter blew me away instantly. From the very first track all the way through to the end, it had me completely, totally captivated. I have to vote for it - for me, it's one of those rare albums where you can immediately feel that something has shifted after experiencing it. I'll be pulling this album apart and experiencing its pieces in as many ways as I can for a while. I feel like it's going to be less critically acclaimed than Renaissance based on some of the earlier reviews, and I can't pretend to know how it will fare commercially, but I know for me that this is probably THE Beyoncé album. I didn't even go into it expecting that based on my personal genre biases, but when the music hits, it hits.

• Like 6

Cowboy Carter is the better record girlies, don't let nostalgia get to you

time will prove it right

ezgif-1-f0b5b3a10f.thumb.gif.f2ca742a570

Cowboy Carter.  I love Renaissance but CC reminds me of old Bey with DC in a modern twist

Cowboy is the MIDnights to Renny's folklord. Cash grabs. :pukey:

Renaissance because it saved me during a dark time, on loop every night to dance the sadness away. Cowboy Carter because it takes me on an unforgettable journey. Feels like a long road on a warm day, but it's an experience for me that is to be cherished and not intended to be as frequent. Rennie feels like a series whereas Cowboy feels like a movie. :chick1:

• Thanks 1

Rena. 

Cowboy is aoty and has higher highs but i liked more tracks on Rena so... 

Renaissance for a more casual listen. I feel like I have to be in a certain mood to listen to Cowboy Carter 

Edited by MALAMENTE
  • Like 1

I hear why don't you love me hints on ya ya. Am i the only one? 

• Thanks 1

upon first listen, Cowboy Carter for sure CCCAT.png

Renaissance tragically never fully clicked with me. all 4 singles were all excellent, as were Alien Superstar and Plastic Off the Sofa, but I always got the urge to turn the album off towards the end and then listen to Blow on repeat for a few hours lol. I just think some of the hooks on Renaissance were maybe a bit lacking for my taste? Cowboy Carter on the other hand is a MAJOR trip of an album, maximalist and wild and fun the whole way through! standout tracks are also PERFECTLY spaced throughout the album, so yeah, for me definitely Cowboy Carter :clap3:

• Like 1

I'm only halfway through CC but by the looks of it Renaissance will remain unmatched I fear

Renaissance sweetie

Cowboy is great, but Renaissance is quite possibly the best album I've ever heard.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

I hear why don't you love me hints on ya ya. Am i the only one? 

I immediately thought of it when it kicked in. I love when Bey reminds us that she really is a diva that could exist in any decade. She started her solo career with a throwback sound, antithetical to that of her peers so Ya Ya is perfect. She really is the only modern girl that can pull that sound off.

• Thanks 1

Renaissance has stronger standouts (Alien Superstar, Virgo's Groove, Cuff It, Break My Soul, Summer Renaissance, Pure/Honey) but Cowboy Carter has a better narrative and I feel that I liked more tracks here than in Renaissance.

However, I prefer house and disco so Renaissance for me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.