Rihanna's "Work" has aged so well. Let's appreciate its timelessness

Just a Gay on ATRL

It's over for the other girls when this comes on at the club. In the bathroom and hear the notes? You better RUN!

• Like 2

Mmmhmmm mmmmm… but I wake up and act like nothings wrong! 

spacer.png

• Like 2

I remember when ATRL dragged for lazily patoi-ing the lyrics towards the end of the song but everytime I'm st the club and it comes on everyone is singing that part in unison. 

Her mind :clap3:

Great track from day 1

ATRL was always jealous because nobody could have made a hit out of this except Rih 

• Thanks 2

Iconic smash of the 2010s

BrandNewBrandon

Such a bop :WAP:

BrandNewBrandon
5 minutes ago, Digitalism said:

Great track from day 1

ATRL was always jealous because nobody could have made a hit out of this except Rih 

Yeah, I doubt any other girl would've hit with this. Rihanna was the HIT girl of the 2010s and almost anything she'd make would be a big hit. 

• Like 1

every time I listen, I have to repeat the song like 5x

my least fav single but it still slaps when im in the mood.

• Like 1

I remember the DAY it came out and everyonnneee on ATRL and their mothers were talking so much sh*t about it, but I LOVVEEDDDD it and always saw the direction of the song. The weird ad-libbing, the quirky production. I just knew it would last and it was my most played track of 2016 :deadbanana2:. She ATE with this record and when the video came out it had everyone SHOOKKK!

Such a legendary moment in Pop Culture omfg :WAP:

• Like 4

Wait. Was it always a double music video like that?? why??

25 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

Yeah, I doubt any other girl would've hit with this. Rihanna was the HIT girl of the 2010s and almost anything she'd make would be a big hit. 

Yeah this is definitely a song that really only SHE could've made huge. It PROBABLY would've sounded fine for maybe 1 or 2 other female artists, but Rihanna's voice and hit-making power/status in the industry during the entirety of the 2010s was unrivaled, unparalleled, and second to none. To think Love On The Brain (if it had a video), Needed Me, and maybe even Kiss It Better could've gone #1 too if the videos were just BETTER. Even BBHMM (even tho it wasn't on ANTI) could've been #1 if it wasn't so explicit visually. Ughhh!!! What timmeee!!! :deadbanana2:

No other pop star has the range, charisma, or stones to have pulled this off besides Rih. The block was HOT when this dropped. Like Work's release day was a MOMENT and it instantly smashed, before she went on to dominate the rest of 2016 & 2017 :clap3:

I wasn't on ATRL at the time but ppl irl loved it from day 1. I can imagine the usual pressed haters being contrarian on here tho 

The Anti era was soooo ******* hilarious on ATRL. The whole anti Diary fiasco was a MESS

I still remember a bunch of people(mostly Gaga stans) dragging her enunciation on Work when this dropped.

And now look its her classic album!!

37 minutes ago, Darius said:

yeah! they probably had all two ready to go and decided to upload it as a single video. it's cool!

NO.

LOTB owned Anti era

legendary

abdda4e5da525196701c248a537fffea.gif

It didn't age well. Sounds very tropical pop 2016 trend. It's a catchy song but I haven't spammed it after 2017. Needed Me and KIB>>

1 hour ago, Darius said:

she actually filmed three music videos for the song. she scrapped the first one, used the third one as the main one (so the caribbean themed one) and then the second one as an after thought because why not?

abdda4e5da525196701c248a537fffea.gif

Edited by Allopatry

1 hour ago, cuteboyzay said:

Yeah this is definitely a song that really only SHE could've made huge. It PROBABLY would've sounded fine for maybe 1 or 2 other female artists, but Rihanna's voice and hit-making power/status in the industry during the entirety of the 2010s was unrivaled, unparalleled, and second to none. To think Love On The Brain (if it had a video), Needed Me, and maybe even Kiss It Better could've gone #1 too if the videos were just BETTER. Even BBHMM (even tho it wasn't on ANTI) could've been #1 if it wasn't so explicit visually. Ughhh!!! What timmeee!!! :deadbanana2:

Streaming wasn't on full effect yet . That's probably why. Besides Work. LOTB, Needed Me and KIB didn't peak high in the sales chart (#11, #17 and out of the top 50 for KIB). LOTB had pop radio support but it's streaming and digital sales were weak (though it ended up the most streamed song from the album because of reccurent stats). Needed Me has more streams in the US than Work, but it didn't have much pop radio support and like I stated only peaked at #17 on the digital sales chart. KIB would've done better if it was released separately and BBHMH would've done better in 2017-2018. Hip Hop/Trap songs weren't that popular in 2015.

• Like 1

LMAO I remember when ATRL mocked the hell out of this song and the Anti era actually.

In retrospect though, ATRL considers this as her best album. Work is truly timeless and I called it the moment I heard it.

Ugh this era is just a ******* serve. Don't forget Rih also served us her best song yet, KIB. BIIITCH I LIVEEEE

A song about something she doesn't do. 

Why do people still follow these insufferable artists that are lazy and expect praise? Beyoncé serving zero visuals, and Rihanna not wanting to lift a damn finger for almost a decade. 🤦🏼‍♂️

A classic!

:WAP:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.