Is it time to stop the Shakira & Beyoncé comparisons?

Machete

5 hours ago, shyboi said:

s:wan:

hitsdd_photo_gal__photo_1278578745.png

2 times less than the flop which the gift was

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shakeyourbombom

• SoundsandSongs

• Lovett

• Jonver

4 hours ago, devonedelrey said:

counting only the last decades nrs is stupid, cause shakira has been in the industry solo longer than beyonce, culturally and also her whole discography is much bigger and reached more ww acclaim than beyonces, thats a fact, shakira was a known artist in my village in east europe when i was five and so is now, i never heard about beyonce until i got access to youtube just saying lol

How can you say her discography is much bigger if Beyonce sold more WW, outstreamed her on spotify and various platforms and outgrossed her tours? I provided stats that shows Beyonce is bigger in 7 out of the top 10 markets her entire career. How does you only knowing Shakira in your part of Eastern Europe equal worldwide success when Beyonce is bigger in much larger markets? 

You're trying to make a point based on your own personal experience in a small part of the world while I provided verifiable sales/streaming figures.

Edited by SoundsandSongs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

I want to call Y'all so much nasty names but I'm going to keep it cool. Again Bey is bigger than Shakira. Shakira new album is a flop and that's facts.Quit being delusional!

• Thumbs Down 7

I think they should. Shakira should be grouped with the 90s acts like Mariah/ TLC/ Spice Girls. Beyonce with the mid 2000s acts like Riri/Kelly C/ Gwen (solo). She rarely performs her material from DC so not sure why we still use that as a marker.

10 hours ago, PrudenceHCharmed said:

Girl, Beyoncé would never charted at #87 in France, Spain, Germany and Italy the same way Shakira charted #87 in the UK midweek :rip: she's been completely irrelevant in the UK for almost 15 years. At least Beyoncé charted at #1 in France with Renaissance and TOP 3 in Germany, Spain and Italy despite not "dominating" those countries. 

Use the same energy you have when you enter threads about Shakira to find me a Spanish album that charted high on the UK chart

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, toxicgenie said:

I think they should. Shakira should be grouped with the 90s acts like Mariah/ TLC/ Spice Girls. Beyonce with the mid 2000s acts like Riri/Kelly C/ Gwen (solo). She rarely performs her material from DC so not sure why we still use that as a marker.

Shakira was literally unknown in the U.S in the 90s. 

• Confused 2

On 3/26/2024 at 7:38 PM, SoundsandSongs said:

Can we stop with this local/global nonsense. Shakira is bigger in Spanish speaking countries and some european counrries but Beyonce is bigger than Shakira in many major markets outside US/Canada, including:

Australia: Beyonce is 6th most certified woman, Shakira not in top 20.

UK: Beyonce is the 4th most certified woman, Shakira not in top 20.

South Korea: Beyonce in the top 10 most streamed international females, Shakira not in top 20. 

China: On QQMusic (largest Chinese streaming service) Beyonce has 1.09m followers vs Shakira's 490k.

Japan: Beyonce has several album certs and has sold over 1 million pure albums solo in Japan. Shakira has no certifications in Japan.

When you include US and Canada, Beyonce is bigger than Shakira in 7 out of the top 10 largest music markets.

Since when should we take "top music markets" in account when talking about popularity?

Popularity isn't the same as money and the discussion isn't about who earns more.

Edited by Thesedays
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thesedays said:

Since when should we take "top music markets" in account when talking about popularity?

Popularity isn't the same as money and the discussion isn't about who earns more.

We take into account top music markets because not all markets are equal in size or sales. Do you think going #1 in Kazakhstan, Slovakia or Nicaragua contribute the same to global popularity as a #1 in USA, Japan, UK and China which have much larger populations and global influence? A #1 in Kazakhstan could be almost negligible in sales or streams. 

How do you determine popularity and who's bigger worldwide then? For years people have been saying Shakira is much more global but no stats back that up. The reality is in every verifiable metric (sales, streaming, touring) Beyonce is ahead worldwide.

Edited by SoundsandSongs
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

18 minutes ago, SoundsandSongs said:

We take into account top music markets because not all markets are equal in size or sales. Do you think going #1 in Kazakhstan, Slovakia or Nicaragua contribute the same to global popularity as a #1 in USA, Japan, UK and China which have much larger populations and global influence? A #1 in Kazakhstan could be almost negligible in sales or streams. 

How do you determine popularity and who's bigger worldwide then? For years people have been saying Shakira is much more global but no stats back that up. The reality is in every verifiable metric (sales, streaming, touring) Beyonce is ahead worldwide.

Popularity = more popular.

"Popular" = "liked, admired, or enjoyed by many people"

Being "more popular" means being liked by a bigger number of people. So it's not about sales but the number of people. A huge popstar from Turkey probably has a bigger fanbase than a German one because Turkey has a considerably bigger population. Germany being a bigger music market won't change that.

Anyways, this whole debate of who is more popular is pointless. Beyoncé is an A-list popstar, but the number of crossovers Shakira made is even more impressive. At the end of the day, both are legendary, but Shakira becoming an A-list pop star recognizable everywhere despite not being from an English-speaking country and having Latin America as her main market puts her in a class of her own. Although yes, Beyoncé probably earns more and manages her career better.

Edited by Thesedays
  • Like 3

I mean Vol. 53 and TQG were much bigger than any Beyonce song of the last like 10 years. This underperformance doesn't discount Shakira as Beyonce herself has had PLENTY of underperformances :rip: 

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Thesedays said:

Popularity = more popular.

"Popular" = "liked, admired, or enjoyed by many people"

Being "more popular" means being liked by a bigger number of people. So it's not about sales but the number of people. A huge popstar from Turkey probably has a bigger fanbase than a German one because Turkey has a considerably bigger population. Germany being a bigger music market won't change that.

Anyways, this whole debate of who is more popular is pointless. Beyoncé is an A-list popstar, but the number of crossovers Shakira made is even more impressive. At the end of the day, both are legendary, but Shakira becoming an A-list pop star recognizable everywhere despite not being from an English-speaking country and having Latin America as her main market puts her in a class of her own. Although yes, Beyoncé probably earns more and manages her career better.

Be it sales or number of people, Beyoncé is still ahead. Beyoncé had more listeners on JOOX, QQ MUSIC, Spotify,Apple Music, Pandora and Deezer. 

• Thumbs Down 2

Not you creating a thread saying "we should stop comparing these two women" and then in the OP literally doing nothing but comparing the two women.

This is why people hate Beyoncé stans. Y'all are so mentally unwell you don't even know how to help yourselves :ryan3:Both Bey and Shakira are serving insane longevity and you're also comparing an English album to a Spanish language album when Spanish music makes very little noise in the English-speaking markets. Don't be so delusional

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Havoc said:

Shakira was literally unknown in the U.S in the 90s. 

Then how would she have two platinum certified 90s Spanish albums?

Edited by shakeyourbombom
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SoundsandSongs said:

Not you saying this when only 845 people pre-saved Cowboy Carter in China

spacer.png

On 3/26/2024 at 9:14 AM, shakeyourbombom said:

Cool, tell that to Jimmy Fallon (1:08)

On 3/26/2024 at 9:30 AM, shakeyourbombom said:

There are YouTube, Apple Music, Pandora, Anghami etc. right?

Jimmy Fallon>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>You

On 3/26/2024 at 9:41 AM, shakeyourbombom said:

Nope, I trust Jimmy Fallon:giraffe:

On 3/26/2024 at 9:42 AM, shakeyourbombom said:

Not just me but also Jimmy Fallon and many others:gaycat4:

:toofunny2:

• Thumbs Down 1

40 minutes ago, shakeyourbombom said:

Not you saying this when only 845 people pre-saved Cowboy Carter in China

spacer.png

Not you using pre-saves on one random retailer as a "Gag" when the album isn't even out and Beyonce has more than double the listeners/followers on QQMusic (largest Chinese streaming service). 

Beyonce is factually bigger than Shakira in US, UK, Canada, Australia, South Korea, Japan, Netherlands, China etc. That is why her albums have better YE positions globally and she's bigger in sales, streaming and touring. If Beyonce is local then Shakira is even more so.

Edited by SoundsandSongs
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoundsandSongs said:

Not you using pre-saves as a "Gag" when the album isn't even out and Beyonce has more than double the listeners/followers on QQMusic (largest Chinese streaming service). 

Beyonce is factually bigger than Shakira in US, UK, Canada, Australia, South Korea, Japan, Netherlands, China etc. 

English countries I agree for sure. 

Doubled listeners but only 845 pre-saves?  What does the album release have to do with pre-saves? Do you know people pre-save the album if they anticipate the album release?

Waka Waka and Try Everything are bigger in China, I'm sorry. Look at the views on Bilibili or QQ Music. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, shakeyourbombom said:

English countries I agree for sure. 

Doubled listeners but only 845 pre-saves?  What does the album release have to do with pre-saves? Do you know people pre-save the album if they anticipate the album release?

I didn't know Japan, Korea, Netherlands etc. were english speaking nations. Actually I forgot about Brazil too.

7 hours ago, SoundsandSongs said:

I didn't know Japan, Korea, Netherlands etc. were english speaking nations. Actually I forgot about Brazil too.

Shakira is the best-selling international female artist in Brazil with 6M certified units, ahead of both Adele and MADONNA :skull:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

9 hours ago, SoundsandSongs said:

I didn't mention because they are both irrelevant in Japan and Korea now. Don't act like she's on Mariah Carey's level.

Did Beyonce get a 1M sales album in Brazil? Or any 3x Diamond single? Because Shakira has them all.

On 3/29/2024 at 12:19 AM, shakeyourbombom said:

I didn't mention because they are both irrelevant in Japan and Korea now. Don't act like she's on Mariah Carey's level.

Did Beyonce get a 1M sales album in Brazil? Or any 3x Diamond single? Because Shakira has them all.

On 3/28/2024 at 10:21 PM, Riot said:

Shakira is the best-selling international female artist in Brazil with 6M certified units, ahead of both Adele and MADONNA :skull:

What are you even talking about? When that thread about most certified females in Brazil was made, Beyonce was severely undercertified. Beyonce has had a major certification update and even Chartmasters admits Beyonce is in the top 3 selling international artists of all time in Brazil since 2003 ahead of Shakira.

Albums:
IASF - 2x Diamond
Renaissance - Diamond
Beyonce - Diamond
4 - 3x Platinum
Bday - Platinum
Lemonade - Platinum
Dangerously in Love - Gold

Live albums:
The beyonce experience Live - 2x Platinum
Homecoming - Platinum
I am world tour - Gold
The Beyonce experience tour - Gold

Singles:
Cuff It - 2x Diamond
Alien Superstar - Diamond
Formation - Diamond
Best thing I never had - Diamond
Run the World - Diamond
Pretty Hurts - Diamond
Love on Top - Diamond
IIWAB - Diamond
BMS - Diamond
Halo - Diamond
7/11 - Diamond
Partition - 3x Platinum
Irreplaceable - 3x Platinum
Beautiful liar - 2x Platinum
End of Time - 2x Platinum
Diva - 2x Platinum
Heated - 2x Platinum
Savage remix - 2x Platinum
Energy - 2x Platinum
Dance for you - 2x Platinum
Countdown - 2x Platinum
Pure/Honey - Platinum
AHAP - Platinum
Church Girl - Platinum
Black parade - Platinum
Virgo's Groove - Platinum
Energy - Platinum
I'm that girl - Platinum
Thique - Platinum
POTS - Platinum
Cozy - Platinum
Broken Hearted Girl - Platinum
I was here - Platinum
Summer Renaissance - Platinum
Ego - Platinum
Hold Up - Platinum
Daddy lessons - Gold
Move - Gold
AUIYM - Gold
Lift every voice - Gold
Naughty Girl - Gold
Grown Woman - Gold
Baby boy - Gold
Rocket - Gold
Listen - Gold
I been on - Gold
Haunted - Gold
Freedom - Gold
Flawless - Gold
All night - Gold
1+1 - Gold
Top Off - Gold
Cozy - Gold
Bow down - Gold
Before I let go - Gold
Bigger - Gold
I Care - Gold
Find your way back - Gold

Edited by SoundsandSongs
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, shakeyourbombom said:

So when it comes to Beyonce her doing better in Europe since 2013 doesn't matter because Shakira has a bigger career overall in France/Germany but when it comes to Shakira her career being smaller than Beyonce in Korea/Japan doesn't matter?

Also FYI Beyonce is still comfortably one of the top 10 most streamed international females on Melon music in Korea so her success has carried on into the streaming era.

Edited by SoundsandSongs
  • Thumbs Down 2

On 3/23/2024 at 2:01 PM, k4rmabutterfly said:

Total streams:

Las Mujeres Ya Lo Lloran: 3,476B

RENAISSANCE: 2,818B

Both Shakira and Bey are still incredibly successful :clap3:

OP kinda backfired ☠️

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Cowboy Carter - 76.1M

Shakira Album - 13.48M

I haven't said my own opinion until now, but yes, I think it's time. 

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Are u still there? Cause Beyonce came with receipts 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.