Should Robyn get a songwriting credit on "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"?

Born to Run

1 hour ago, Pendulum said:

I guess they met around 2017-2018 since that would coincide with the things she has said in an inteview for The Guardian, according to the video I had linked. Definitely give it a watch cause it summarises the whole ordeal and Robyn's story in general is very intriguing. But their encounter must've been very passive-aggressive. :dies: 

Basically Robyn was scouted to be trained for pop stardom at 15 or whatever and she got paired with Max Martin to produce her debut album in 1995. That was all in Sweden and Max Martin was relatively unknown outside of the country. I guess she was burntout and just not happy with the music they were making her to perform and by her third album (Don't Stop The Music) in 2002, which was also produced by Max Martin, she dropped out of the major label she was assigned to, went on to open her own Konnichiwa Records and the rest is history. 

Britney Spears was literally the American version of Robyn Max Martin was trying to create after the two had a falling out.

Max wrote and produced Time Machine on Body Talk in 2010 too, did something happen between then and their 2017-8 meeting? can't watch the vid

what??? f*ck no. don't make me go into my notorious songwriting rant again lol

Yes, people have been given writing credit for a lot less similarities

Robyn and Max get along just fine these days. She won't work with him because he has a formula and she doesn't stick to it. She felt curious about paring her sound with his for Time Machine (bopp) but Martin clearly wouldn't have allowed Robyn to run with the pop structures she had on Honey for example. He has a very calculated way of producing pop. He telling to his rebel ex-colleague that his own artists ask for her sound is the biggest pop compliment a pop producer can give lol 

This song has Robyn all over it, but I don't agree with getting a credit because you are a major influence that reshaped pop. People underplay her but from Emotion, going through 1989 and now Eternal Sunshine, Robyn is one of the biggest pop influences EVER. And she did it all indie. A motherfucking queen. Influence and vibe shouldn't equal royalties, but we live in a new scenario since Blurred Lines 

Edited by liquiddiamonds
  • Thanks 6

I hear the Robyn influence but I also hear this:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.