Should Robyn get a songwriting credit on "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"?

Born to Run

50% of royalties, do you hear it?

shyboi

Wait, did they write the song over Dancing on My Own?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Isn't this a pretty standard production for a synthpop song?

Honestly, yes.  I have grown to really like this song, but even I get confused and accidentally hum Robyn's chorus after Ari's verses, or Ari's chorus after Robyn's verses interchangeably.  It's very blatant to me, one of the few times I have ever said this about two songs that sound alike.

• Like 6

Guys, Robyn wrote that song. Put some respect on her name.

I don't really hear the similarities in terms of the melody but the production is definitely similar but then again that has been used in many songs since Robyn released it. 

• Like 2

I don't know... usually I would say you can't sue for similar production but since the Blurred Lines case it's been so fuzzy. Who knows.

• Like 1

Well, Max Martin produced it. And knowing the beef between him and Robyn, it maaaaay not be a stretch to suggest he would do that.

He himself has admitted that pop girls go into studio requesting for the Robyn sound. :rip:  

@16:33

Edited by Pendulum
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pendulum said:

Well, Max Martin produced it. And knowing the beef between him and Robyn, it maaaaay not be a stretch to suggest he would do that.

He himself has admitted that pop girls go into studio requesting for the Robyn sound. :rip:  

@16:33

In other words, Robyn is an icon :-*

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

What?!

tayrobyn? :-*

And knowing the beef between him and Robyn

When did that happen? She played some tracks off Honey for him before release, and she worked with him on one song for Body Talk.

2 hours ago, glitch said:

Isn't this a pretty standard production for a synthpop song?

Yes but it's because robyn made it the standard :hippo:

• Like 2

Robyn only? Also the owner of the building where the song was recorded, his mother, the baker in front of the studio and the dog that walks on that street every day whose barking you can hear at minute 0:39

• Haha 7

I think so. I'm a fan of Ariana since 2018 but the song is almost a blatant ripoff. And it's NOT just the "standard snyth-pop production", because there are plenty of songs in the new wave/80s synthpop genre that share common elements but still sound different. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

If Bruno Mars didn't for "Flowers" then no although I definitely see the influence of Dancing On My Own on WCBF

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, suburbannature said:

Not unless she's been spending time with Taylor's legal team 

Let's hope Ari doesn't mention Robyn's name in interviews 

• Haha 1

she should get a songwriting credit on some new robyn songs for a new robyn album, maybe :suburban:

Edited by Mocha
  • Haha 5

53 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

When did that happen? She played some tracks off Honey for him before release, and she worked with him on one song for Body Talk.

I guess they met around 2017-2018 since that would coincide with the things she has said in an inteview for The Guardian, according to the video I had linked. Definitely give it a watch cause it summarises the whole ordeal and Robyn's story in general is very intriguing. But their encounter must've been very passive-aggressive. :dies: 

Basically Robyn was scouted to be trained for pop stardom at 15 or whatever and she got paired with Max Martin to produce her debut album in 1995. That was all in Sweden and Max Martin was relatively unknown outside of the country. I guess she was burntout and just not happy with the music they were making her to perform and by her third album (Don't Stop The Music) in 2002, which was also produced by Max Martin, she dropped out of the major label she was assigned to, went on to open her own Konnichiwa Records and the rest is history. 

Britney Spears was literally the American version of Robyn Max Martin was trying to create after the two had a falling out.

Edited by Pendulum

100%

• Thumbs Down 1

18 minutes ago, Pendulum said:

I guess they met around 2017-2018 since that would coincide with the things she has said in an inteview for The Guardian, according to the video I had linked. Definitely give it a watch cause it summarises the whole ordeal and Robyn's story in general is very intriguing. But their encounter must've been very passive-aggressive. :dies: 

Basically Robyn was scouted to be trained for pop stardom at 15 or whatever and she got paired with Max Martin to produce her debut album in 1995. That was all in Sweden and Max Martin was relatively unknown outside of the country. I guess she was burntout and just not happy with the music they were making her to perform and by her third album (Don't Stop The Music) in 2002, which was also produced by Max Martin, she dropped out of the major label she was assigned to, went on to open her own Konnichiwa Records and the rest is history. 

Britney Spears was literally the American version of Robyn Max Martin was trying to create after the two had a falling out.

I always thought her frustration was with the label itself after they canned Who's That Girl, which turned out to kick off her far more artistically successful indie career. But I can see how that would rub a lot of people the wrong way. Queen moves.

Sidenote, Don't Stop the Music is super underrated.

Edited by The7thStranger
  • Like 1

Why would someone who was not in any way involved with the creation of a song get a credit because there's slight similarities in sound? This is such a low bar :rip: Plenty of songs vaguely sound like other songs, there's only so many notes, chords, etc. in the world of music. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 hours ago, Jay07 said:

I don't know... usually I would say you can't sue for similar production but since the Blurred Lines case it's been so fuzzy. Who knows.

This tbh. 

• Like 1

Depends if Robyn takes inspiration from Paramore.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.