Training Season out of top 40 on Global Spotify.what went wrong?

Sweetestsecret

She's just not hitting it this era im afraid, hopefully her next single sticks. 

Honestly Houdini was okish, Training season is very weak. She might have a stronger song to release along with the album

Houdini is a hit

Just wait until it goes top 10 on pop radio.

well it had the potential of being pop perfection but the choruses were too weak production wise , sounded very same-ish. The final outro merged on the chorus feels weird and non eventful.

we all know who's to blame. 

it sounds like she phoned the song in

On 3/18/2024 at 3:50 PM, ReachOut said:

Not certain fanbase come in here like the first day that Dua hasn't 2 singles in the top40 in months :skull:

TS is struggling during weekend and then rise up during the week, by Tuesday she'll be back in top30 for sure.

March 18th

#32 Training Season (+9)

3bGN.thumb.gif.17188a53259c97e8b81512ac4

• Haha 1

wait 9 months yall never learn with dua omgggggg

Edited by Cult Leader 𐕣𐕣

On 3/18/2024 at 6:04 AM, Selegend said:

she doesn't make personal music and that got in the way of her securing a big fanbase/loyal audience. 

people still like her songs and that's why she's not flopping. but at the same time it doesn't sound brand new to them. so they do like/care less about it in comparison to future nostalgia, and that's why she's "underperforming".

i've been saying here that u need to make personal music to generate a loyal audience in this decade and no one believe it...

look at ariana's new album, flowers success, olivia, or even the album that made sabrina carpenter "happen" 

even tate mcrae has ex boyfriend controversy on tiktok, 'exes' just got viral cuz she performed at the halftime of a game he was playing 

with that said, people like Dua Lipa so if she has a instant smash in her album she'll be fine

I used to think this but girls like Rih were able to smash without personal songs. You could argue that Rated R was that personal album, sure, but the only song that really made a splash was Rude Boy which is not personal at all. Russian Roulette and Rated R as a whole underperformed, and then Rih quickly pivoted to the LOUD era, where she smashed again by releasing non-personal music. There's also Love the Way You Lie, but at that point Rih was 3 albums in and her career was already in a solid place for Eminem to even reach out to collab in the first place. 

I don't think you need personal music to form a strong fanbase. You need good music and a brand. That's where Dua is lacking a bit. She has amazing music, but what is her brand? She's reserved but intelligent, gorgeous, a hit maker, all great qualities, but we don't know her brand yet. Rih became the bad girl, and that stuck with her so she was able to take more risks and add a bit of edge to her music. Dua should try to define what type of artist she wants to present herself as, but she doesn't need to sacrifice her musical output and start suddenly making contrived ballads about heartbreaks that no one cares about. 

3 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

I used to think this but girls like Rih were able to smash without personal songs. You could argue that Rated R was that personal album, sure, but the only song that really made a splash was Rude Boy which is not personal at all. Russian Roulette and Rated R as a whole underperformed, and then Rih quickly pivoted to the LOUD era, where she smashed again by releasing non-personal music. There's also Love the Way You Lie, but at that point Rih was 3 albums in and her career was already in a solid place for Eminem to even reach out to collab in the first place. 

I don't think you need personal music to form a strong fanbase. You need good music and a brand. That's where Dua is lacking a bit. She has amazing music, but what is her brand? She's reserved but intelligent, gorgeous, a hit maker, all great qualities, but we don't know her brand yet. Rih became the bad girl, and that stuck with her so she was able to take more risks and add a bit of edge to her music. Dua should try to define what type of artist she wants to present herself as, but she doesn't need to sacrifice her musical output and start suddenly making contrived ballads about heartbreaks that no one cares about. 

Yeah but this is a new trend.
Rihanna and maybe Beyoncé is the exception (but lemonade was a commercial success because of the scandal).
Ariana started to receive acclaim with sweetener and it continued with thank u next which was her first #1 because it's her most personal song.

Dua doesn't have to release sad emo song but she's really private so I guess the public doesn't relate to her.

Rihanna has a strong appeal and is relatable. 

3 minutes ago, Dialamba said:

Yeah but this is a new trend.
Rihanna and maybe Beyoncé is the exception (but lemonade was a commercial success because of the scandal).
Ariana started to receive acclaim with sweetener and it continued with thank u next which was her first #1 because it's her most personal song.

Dua doesn't have to release sad emo song but she's really private so I guess the public doesn't relate to her.

Rihanna has a strong appeal and is relatable. 

How does one explain Doja Cat then? Smash after smash then did something more personal and bombed. Smashed again when not being super personal with Paint the Town Red.

It's just not as necessary as people think. It's about making a brand, which personal music can do, but it's not the only path.

Y'all are underestimating how much black women identify with Bey, Rih and Doja. It's not diaristic and it might seem impersonal, but the audience clearly relates to it and they resonate emotionally to stuff like Take a Bow, Needed Me, Me Myself and I, You Right, Agora Hills very much lol That's the difference. The audience is more open to that. With white artists in 2024, it feels like a more singer-songwriter diaristic music is the trend, so there's little space for relatability outside of that. Dua's music is still relatable, but it's pretty much built in a different pop universe. Training Season and Houdini imagery are truly not the current flavor from a lyrical POV. It's a struggle in an era that Taylor Swift is the defining pop artist… but if you look closely Dua is by far the most successful artist with this other brand of pop music at the moment…. 

Edited by liquiddiamonds

1 hour ago, Relampago. said:

I agree. Rihanna and also Katy Perry had strong and clear public images and brand despite most of their songs not being very personal.

Dua's image being generic is more concerning than her songs not being "personal". Hell, even if her songs were personal , most wouldn't care since very few care about Dua outside of her hit songs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.