Democrats prepare to go to war against third party candidates

GraceRandolph

The Democratic National Committee is building its first team to counter third-party and independent presidential candidates, people involved told NBC News, as the party and its allies prepare for a potential all-out war on candidates they view as spoilers.

The DNC has hired veteran Democratic operative Lis Smith, best known for her work guiding the 2020 presidential campaign of Pete Buttigieg, to help oversee an aggressive communications component of its strategy, which also includes opposition research and legal challenges.

Underscoring how important Democrats view the effort, it is being overseen by Mary Beth Cahill and Ramsey Reid, two veteran DNC insiders, who have already started issuing rare public statements rebuking Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

Matt Corridoni, Smith’s former deputy on the Buttigieg campaign and most recently a top aide to Rep. Jake Auchincloss, D-Mass., is also joining the team as a spokesperson.

“We’re facing an unprecedented election and we know the GOP is already working to prop up third-party candidates like Robert Kennedy Jr. to make them stalking horses for Donald Trump,” Corridoni told NBC News. “With so much on the line, we’re not taking anything for granted. We’re going to make sure voters are educated and we’re going to make sure all candidates are playing by the rules.”

The move comes as a coalition of outside groups — which includes Democratic and anti-Trump Republican organizations — stockpile money and work to stymie third parties.

“There is some Jill Stein hangover,” Pat Dennis, president of American Bridge, a Democratic opposition research group, said referring to the 2016 Green Party nominee who was seen as a spoiler in places like Michigan. “A lot of people, including me, regret that we didn’t go after her further.”

Democrats have long blamed Green Party candidates such as Stein and Ralph Nader for contributing to their losses in 2016 and 2000. 

But they say third parties will be especially impactful in 2024 because of the nature of Trump’s support base.

Full article: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/dnc-war-third-party-candidates-rcna143290

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Communion

• GraceRandolph

• Thesedays

• byzantium

they are afraid, can we blame them? November is not looking good

15 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

The DNC has hired veteran Democratic operative Lis Smith, best known for her work guiding the 2020 presidential campaign of Pete Buttigieg

If I were the DNC, I wouldn't consider this to be something to promote...

:ahh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 2

The way they'll do anything but run a likeable candidate

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

All this work because Biden is such an awful candidate :bibliahh: what a waste of time and resources 

• Like 9

This country will never recover from being reduced down to a two party political climate. 

• Like 5

I mean that is sorta the job of any party against opposition? Why is this a surprise?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, If U Seek Amy said:

I mean that is sorta the job of any party against opposition? Why is this a surprise?

Why is the Democratic Party going after “opposition” like the Green Party when they barely go after their real opposition, the Republican Party. In some cases the Dems actually fund Republicans over progressive Democrats or MAGA election deniers. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good. 

There is too much to lose if Trump gets in. Sorry not sorry. Right now is not the time to lash the democrats. Lash they azzes in 2028.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 3

it’s stupid how much power the DNC has over candidates and who gets chosen to represent them come election day. Multiple other candidates i’ve heard mention the fact the DNC won’t let them debate with biden as though the DNC had made their mind up with the biden pick since day one. rigged a** election. and then we get stuck with r*pist racist and dementia genocide funder. 

Edited by ElectricStyle
  • Like 6

• ATRL Administrator

Good. Third party candidates will play a spoiler to Biden and he needs to win. I don’t really care if people don’t like him or think he’s too old. The other options are actually worse and terrible and this isn’t the time to fuck around with nonsense protest votes. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 9

It’s incredible how much hatred the democrats have for democracy.  I’ve voted for their candidates since turning 18, but I really cannot any more. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2016 all over again. Biden getting the "but her emails" treatment from looney liberals will make sure this is a repeat of 2016. So either u guys suck it up and vote for biden for the greater good or repent once trump is elected 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

2 minutes ago, byzantium said:

It’s incredible how much hatred the democrats have for democracy.  I’ve voted for their candidates since turning 18, but I really cannot any more. 

Same, we will not vote for Bidet, voting third party or maybe not even voting tbh

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, Bandito said:

If I were the DNC, I wouldn't consider this to be something to promote...

:ahh:

Once you understand the Democratic Party is basically there to employ loyalists and make their donors happy, those choices and hires start making much more sense.

• Like 2

Just now, shyboi said:

Same, we will not vote for Bidet, voting third party or maybe not even voting tbh

I’ll still vote.  There are local elections I really care about.  But as for president, I’ll be voting for someone who doesn’t support genocide. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, shimind said:

2016 all over again. Biden getting the "but her emails" treatment from looney liberals will make sure this is a repeat of 2016. So either u guys suck it up and vote for biden for the greater good or repent once trump is elected 

Do these people who regret not voting for Hillary Clinton exist? Or are they just a figment of liberals' imaginations?

Cause I hear a lot of "YOU GUYS DID NOT VOTE FOR HILLARY AND REGRETTED" from loyalist Dems, but I never actually met someone that actually regretted not voting for her. I know people that did not want to vote for her and still did but I mean, these people still voted for her anyway. The ones that did not don't really regret it.

Edited by Thesedays
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Thesedays said:

Or are they just a figment of liberals' imaginations?

Very much this.  

• ATRL Moderator

A more effective strategy would be to run on policies Democratic-leaning voters care about. But, instead, we have Joe Biden talking about banning TikTok and giving interviews where he’s saying he’s never been a fan of the “my body my choice” rhetoric around abortion (ref) when abortion rights have been a winning issue in direct ballot initiatives in states like Kentucky and Ohio. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

democrats love war so this checks out! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bloo said:

where he’s saying he’s never been a fan of the “my body my choice” rhetoric around abortion (ref) when abortion rights have been a winning issue in direct ballot initiatives in states like Kentucky and Ohio. 

It’s so tragic that the majority of the U.S. is to the left of the democrats and yet they still are pivoting right. 

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, byzantium said:

It’s so tragic that the majority of the U.S. is to the left of the democrats and yet they still are pivoting right. 

It’s so wild to me. It’s just bad strategy. Why are you pivoting to the right on immigration? Voters that want right wing immigration policy are likely to go to Trump anyway so why are you chasing that policy? Do they really think they’re netting more voters that way? Also, how is it helpful to say Trump will end Democracy and then try to say you want to work with him on immigration? That’s not consistent messaging at all. 

• Thanks 6

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.