Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

SweetTalker

7 minutes ago, mike_int said:

The obsession with charts is ridiculous.

Are we acting  like the album was critically acclaimed and we only care about the charts now? The least she could do is try to get her name out there with a single. 

Right now she has nothing other than Houdini.

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mike_int

• Cain

• SayIt

• Relampago.

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, mike_int said:

How come when somebody's flopping you guys act like "chart obsession is ridiculous", but when they got a hit, everybody goes "YAAAAS QUEEN", "she never loses", "Gagged"?! Charts are a way to measure success and we all want our faves to have a successful era. Even Dua cares about charts since she's always reposting ChartData, UK Charts, Billboard, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Migs said:

How come when somebody's flopping you guys act like "chart obsession is ridiculous", but when they got a hit, everybody goes "YAAAAS QUEEN", "she never loses", "Gagged"?! Charts are a way to measure success and we all want our faves to have a successful era. Even Dua cares about charts since she's always reposting ChartData, UK Charts, Billboard, etc. 

Not me, not me ;)

2 minutes ago, Digitalism said:

Are we acting  like the album was critically acclaimed and we only care about the charts now? The least she could do is try to get her name out there with a single. 

Right now she has nothing other than Houdini.

"The least she could do is try to get her name out there with a single." Not you acting like nobody knows who Dua Lipa is, and not like she is about to release single no.4 LOL

Some of you could make a Club Of Never-ending Whining Brats  Come On Please GIF by NBA

4 hours ago, Truth Teller said:

This album is already locked down to be a major underperformance and any future single is doomed. These Walls is my personal favorite but it's very lowkey, it's the type of song that can only be a hit if the previous single was also a hit. Having zero momentum to ride on, it will do nothing 

Falling Forever is the worst song of her career but it stands out. It will bomb in the anglosphere but I can see it doing well in smaller european markets, which has its utility. I'd rather she ended the era and moved on but if there has to be another single, she might as well get a top 5 airplay hit in Croatia and Romania

I totally get what you say about These Walls.

Yasss get that european hit queen, next step Eurovision. Eleni better hold to her wig. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mike_int said:

The album is critically panned so what else should we care about then if not for charts :suburban:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, TayDuaStan said:

The album is critically panned so what else should we care about then if not for charts

I care about what I like, not what is critically or commercially acclaimed.

I like the album, so I'm enjoying it.

If you don't, coming here every day whining about it wont change a thing.

I cannot imagine coming to threads of artists and albums I dont like just to complain there everyday.

If You Say So Shrug GIF

• Thanks 1

She needs to release "Radical Optimism and it's the same but all the songs have been replaced with much better Future Nostalgia outtakes so it's not" :ryan3:

• Haha 9

4 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

next step Eurovision.

:confused:

I wonder if these people ranting here would have a different take when her 3 singles charted on Top 10 on billboard or at least have high position streams on spotify?

I think its all psychological.

Fans start complaining just because the songs are not charting as expected.

We all want Dua to succeed but all you keep doing is complaining based on the current chart position of her singles. 😅

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, GAGALIPA said:

I wonder if these people ranting here would have a different take when her 3 singles charted on Top 10 on billboard or at least have high position streams on spotify?

I think its all psychological.

Fans start complaining just because the songs are not charting as expected.

We all want Dua to succeed but all you keep doing is complaining based on the current chart position of her singles. 😅

the songs didn't chart well for a reason or... multiple reasons...

houdini while a great song is not a lead material and tanked the entire era combined with her fake descriptions

training season's entire release was messy and sabotaged by her daddy

like the video, the performance/delayed release alone... all should be showed to aspiring managers to teach them how not to handle a song release

illusion was just so bland and felt like a reductive comeback on future nostalgia sound with the lyrics from dance the night with a cheap kylie copy video... so messy

she should pretend this album and era never happened and record the next album and just sing houdini/TS on the next tours i guess

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

14 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

she should pretend this album and era never happened and record the next album and just sing houdini/TS on the next tours i guess

I wish people like you pretend this thread doesnt exist and stop complaining over the same thing over and over. You are really investing lot of time on something you dont like.

Go and invest it into something you actually like. It will be win-win situation ;)

• Haha 1

So what songs from DL1 is she gonna perform for Glastonbury, considering it'll be 1 hr 45 mins long…..

30 minutes ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

So what songs from DL1 is she gonna perform for Glastonbury, considering it'll be 1 hr 45 mins long…..

The current show is 1hr 25mnts so there is enough time to add like 5-6 songs. Maybe she will do some surprise duet with some British artist, plus she will add Falling Forever and who knows.

I would prefer if she added new songs, End Of An Era, Whatcha Doin, Falling Forever and Maria

Edited by mike_int
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

Fingers crossed she sings Genesis :allears:

I knew we were doomed the second we tweeted about "seeing all the love for Falling Forever"…

And now it's the next single. This era is comical at this point. :toofunny3:

9 hours ago, mike_int said:

Good recording of Nimes show

She is a STAR :WAP:  this show is :flame: Im exited for Glastonbury show

• Like 2

16 hours ago, halcyonday said:

houdini while a great song is not a lead material and tanked the entire era combined with her fake descriptions

THANK YOU! So many ppl were against my take when Houdini first came out. At the time I got ppl were defensive because it's a genuine bop BUT it is NOT lead single material and that plain mv CERTIANLY is not the mv u do to introduce a new era. Houdini as a second single would have been out of this world just like Physical! But as a lead? NO. A lead single has to be a little daring imo and also fully fleshed out. Houdini is just a chorus repeated endlessly with pretty and addictive instrumentation. The lyrics do not stick or create an interesting visual in your mind imo. It's weird to say but even something sort of unconventional like End of An Era could have been more interesting as a lead and more in line with the "brit pop" vibes some of the record does have because it certainly DOES NOT have psychedelic pop vibes imo (apart for a few super short moments on some songs here and there). 

Ppl keep pointing at the Training Season mv as the starting point of this era going poorly etc but I'd argue the era started off poorly right from the start. It's not to say Houdini isn't a fantastic song! Again as a second or third single it would have been gobbled up but as a lead? It just totally fizzled out the hype. 

It is scientifically proven starting your day with "End Of An Era"  followed by "These Walls"  and "Falling Forever"  makes your day 99% better

ron burgundy anchorman GIF

Edited by mike_int
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Training Season live version screams Lead Single and the original mv would've been the cherry on the cake, probably the most US friendly song. The studio version is bland and monotonous. More than the singles, it's the mid-tempo album tracks. All the singles including FF feels out of place on the album…

22 minutes ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

Training Season live version screams Lead Single and the original mv would've been the cherry on the cake, probably the most US friendly song. The studio version is bland and monotonous. More than the singles, it's the mid-tempo album tracks. All the singles including FF feels out of place on the album…

Would be great if original TS video leaked, at least in a version like Britney's Make Me  video leaked

Songs like Falling Forever and These Walls got me re-visited DL1 again.

Really strong debut album. Love Dua's raw vocals on some songs, just like on FF

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mike_int said:

Really strong debut album. Love Dua's raw vocals on some songs,

that's the thing that always gets me back to DL1. Her vocal delivery on it was way more raw and "sincere" if that makes sense? On FF she was clearly singing in a way to fit the track's production but on DL1 she was way more free form. On RO she's in a limbo state of a little rawness and a little overthinking things vocally speaking so it feels soulless imo but the tone and technical aspect are always perfect at least

5 minutes ago, IBeMe said:

that's the thing that always gets me back to DL1. Her vocal delivery on it was way more raw and "sincere" if that makes sense? On FF she was clearly singing in a way to fit the track's production but on DL1 she was way more free form. On RO she's in a limbo state of a little rawness and a little overthinking things vocally speaking so it feels soulless imo but the tone and technical aspect are always perfect at least

I think a lot depends also on final vocal productions. These days vocal engineers sometimes use unnecessary steps ion a vocal chain to achieve the most perfect, clean, tuned sound and it does lost part of the character. Also it depends on a song. You cannot have same vocal delivery on all songs. However I think Dua's tone is very unique so it is still fine. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.