Ariana Grande - "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"

kyliefever2002

Interesting choice for a second single. I would have gone "The Boy Is Mine" for the hype but, echoing everyone else, the MV really elevated the song. For a very upbeat, hopeful instrumental, the lyrics took on a very different meaning. Great job on the MV. Would have worked better as a last stage, sleeper hit like Bieber's "Ghost."

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jude

• ariananext

• Blue Monday

• duybeeGAshantiGA

her best music video :chick3:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RIKI232 said:

This partttt :jonnycat:

IMG-4025.gif

me after my imaginary boyfriend and i broke up

I almost cried in the office :mazen:

• Like 4

amazing actress, amazing actor, winner of best music video grammys 2025

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Kiss It Better said:

after the video this is growing on me, i see the vision

also is it just me or is that spongebob lookalike at the end of the video? :deadbanana4:

the way i saw it too nnnnnn

• Haha 1

Can't remember the last time I got emotional over a music video. So did she get rid of her memories in the end or not? That "relinking" display got me thinking they were restoring them but it seems that it meant they were resuming the process after her breakdown bc she didn't recognize her bf at the exit.

• Like 1

Why is nobody talking about Evan Peters :jonny6: I was so blown away when I saw him

• Like 4

Just now, dumbsparce said:

Can't remember the last time I got emotional over a music video. So did she get rid of her memories in the end or not? That "relinking" display got me thinking they were restoring them but it seems that it meant they were resuming the process after her breakdown bc she didn't recognize her bf at the exit.

I think she did erase them considering the closing scene, in the movie they "fight" against the process to restore their memories

Edited by ariananext

I wonder what the significance of the hospital scene was

Just now, ariananext said:

I think she did erase them considering the closing scene, in the movie they "fight" against the process to restore their memories

Oh ok, I have to watch the movie then if it's inspired by it.

2 minutes ago, ariananext said:

Why is nobody talking about Evan Peters :jonny6: I was so blown away when I saw him

He is so cute. First with Gaga and now Ari :jonnycat:

The video made me cry like a *****

1 minute ago, dumbsparce said:

Oh ok, I have to watch the movie then if it's inspired by it.

Do it! It's a great movie

• Like 2

okay I might be dumb but what does the line "you cling to your papers and pens" mean? I don't get the context. 

Just now, duybeeGAshantiGA said:

He is so cute. First with Gaga and now Ari :jonnycat:

The video made me cry like a *****

Yeah, plus he looks 10 years younger? At first glance I said "oh wow he looks like young Evan Peters" and then realizes it was him :ahh:

Just now, shinyshimmery said:

okay I might be dumb but what does the line "you cling to your papers and pens" mean? I don't get the context. 

This is what I was stuck on too and it’s because the actual song and lyrics are about the media painting her as a home wrecker and saying stuff lol but her still wanting them to like her. But the video is a tribute to the movie

I love the video but am I the only one who thinks it would've fitted "i wish i hated you" or "eternal sunshine" more? Because, if I'm not mistaken, we can't be friends is about Ethan, but the song is about Dalton. 

What an amazing video, so many emotions :weeps:

Loved the video and the song!! 

It reminds me a lot to Robyn, which IS great, this style really fits Ariana :WAP:

What a beautiful Video. It really captures the essence of breaking up so well - from wanting to erase the person from ur mind, to the Nostalgia kicking in basically throwing u into a depressive state of mine, to the bizarre end where u act like u dont know each other anymore 

• Like 7

the video + song combo is so emotionally charged jesus :jonny6:

l love the song, stan the video. Her best video with an actual plotline; no beauty shots or dancing in a warehouse.

• Like 1

Dare I say her best MV…
the execution, editing, performance :jonny5:

• Like 2

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.