St. Vincent - 'All Born Screaming'

kyliefever2002

i don't know about anyone else but i heard a lot of bjork influence on this that i luvvvv

beginning of violent times kinda sounds like anchor song and the synths in big time nothing gives army of me

• Like 3

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JoeAg

• Dareeyecare

• Taylor fanboy

• HonourableVomit

15 hours ago, Fancyhoodlum said:

omg what is this story about boxes? 

It was camp.

Earlier in July, in London, Clark found alternative ways to conduct interviews for hours at a time. She invited some female journalists to get massages with her (too weird with men, even though she was face-down on the table the whole time, avoiding eye contact). Other writers were invited into a 10-by-10-foot pink wooden box that was constructed in a North London studio especially for the occasion. Her interrogators had to duck through a low door to enter the blacklit space. "Not full-on crawl, because that's a little heavy-handed," she clarified. Inside, she looped a pedal steel recording and lit a Diptyque candle that struggled to mask the paint fumes.

There was her press cycle in 2017 for the album Masseduction, during which she made journalists crawl into a small, pink wooden box in London for interviews and chose to play prerecorded answers or check her email if someone asked a boring question. After GQ published a profile of Clark in 2019, the writer Molly Young posted a now-deleted addendum to the piece on her own website describing how much Clark seemed to hate the entire process. She reportedly barely looked at Young, gave extremely short answers to her questions, and at one point asked her with "audible hostility" if she "liked doing this." "Why had she agreed to this story?" Young wrote. "St. Vincent does not need to be in GQ. This is an elective activity."

6jqr4Zd.gif 

Honestly, I've played this album back to back several already while I was at work and the only actual criticism I have for it is that it's too short :gayriahcat2:

It's AOTY for me along with CC :WAP:

I love stanning quality music 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, campelo said:

the army of me and wanderlust reference was so clear

wait this tea... wanderlust is the blueprint

• Like 1

This is such a morning album. Love having coffee with it.

• Like 1

now is it just me who certain melodies of Sweetest Fruit remind of SWEET by Beyoncé?

6jqr4Zd.gif

Honestly kind of nervous to listen to this album. I stanned during Self-Titled Era and Masseduction. Daddy's Home kind of lost me ngl, had a few good songs but the press cycle was annoying. 

I only listened to the lead once when it came out, and not the other singles because I want to experience the entire project as one whole meal. Watching the Zane Lowe interview now though 

1 hour ago, Edibles. said:

Honestly kind of nervous to listen to this album. I stanned during Self-Titled Era and Masseduction. Daddy's Home kind of lost me ngl, had a few good songs but the press cycle was annoying. 

I only listened to the lead once when it came out, and not the other singles because I want to experience the entire project as one whole meal. Watching the Zane Lowe interview now though 

It bodies daddy's home tbh. And I thought daddy's was pretty great.  It's like… similar Quality of actor - through her self titled period of albums. Production is nuts 

It's my new favorite - but I feel like it'll be viewed as in her top 3 by many fans  

what i love most about this is that there are clear influences from her past work + others, but everything feels... fresh and evolved?

like it never feels like a retread or a pastiche even if those referential points are clear because it's still so undeniably Annie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Power's Out being the evolution of Prince Jonny and The Laughing Man.

:weeps:

today's ranking

01 Broken Man

02 The Power's Out

03 Violent Times

04 Hell is Near

05 Flea

06 Reckless

07 All Born Screaming 1st half

08 Big Time Nothing

09 Sweetest Fruit

10 So Many Planets

11 All Born Screaming 2nd half

13 hours ago, JoeAg said:

the fact that the second listen through i'm doing right now in my quiet apartment without the noise of the rainy streets last night is even better? jfc, album of the year for sure! I mean that solo in So Many Planets is GNARLY

6jqr4Zd.gif

god and the TITLE TRACK RIGHT AFTER THAT? oh man, this is the definition of a progressive rock masterpiece! she's the 21st century Pink Floyd as one person imo

6jqr4Zd.gif

AOTYanka I fear

6jqr4Zd.gif

• Like 1

This is how I feel after listening to it more than 10 times:

1. Violent Times 10/10
2. All Born Screaming 10/10
3. The Power's Out 10/10
4. Hell Is Near 10/10
5. So Many Planets 9,5/10
6. The Sweetest Fruit 9,5/10
7. Reckless 9,5/10
8. Broken Man 7/10
9. Big Time Nothing 6/10
10. Flea 6/10

I'm still holding out hope that the singles start opening up to me but so far it's not looking good.

Can't Believe I sat through an hour long Zane Lowe interview and he just talked over her the whole time and kept trying to put words in her mouth and telling his own stories.

But for 5-10 minutes of that hour, she was spilling. 

6jqr4Zd.gif 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HonourableVomit said:

Can't Believe I sat through an hour long Zane Lowe interview and he just talked over her the whole time and kept trying to put words in her mouth and telling his own stories.

But for 5-10 minutes of that hour, she was spilling. 

6jqr4Zd.gif 

I feel like I learned absolutely NOTHING about this album from the interview! It felt like more of a standard conversation and not an album interview. Zane is usually pretty good - but this was… not!

Also worth nothing this was probably filmed in January/February because he brought up his interview with Ari*na Gr*nde and said it was a few days prior

3 hours ago, NordicGuy said:

This is how I feel after listening to it more than 10 times:

1. Violent Times 10/10
2. All Born Screaming 10/10
3. The Power's Out 10/10
4. Hell Is Near 10/10
5. So Many Planets 9,5/10
6. The Sweetest Fruit 9,5/10
7. Reckless 9,5/10
8. Broken Man 7/10
9. Big Time Nothing 6/10
10. Flea 6/10

I'm still holding out hope that the singles start opening up to me but so far it's not looking good.

1. (tie) Violent Times / Broken Man 10/10

3.Big Time Nothing - 10/10 

4.Reckless - 10/10 

5.Flea - 10/10

6.Hell is Near - 10/10

7.The Power's Out 10/10

8.All Born Screaming 9.8/10

9.So Many Planets - 9/10

10.Sweetest Fruit - 8.8/10 

I feel strongly the first 7 tracks are her most powerful run to date. Weigh in the incredible production, variety and raw performances and it's a far 10/10 for me. Modern Classic. My least fav tracks on this album are still major major highlights and I love them. Can't stress how the first 2 tracks floored me leading into the singles 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HonourableVomit said:

that sounds exactly like every zane lowe interview i've ever listened to, why do they pay this man

Yeah I can't stand Zane Low. He is just the most annoying interviewer. He always makes it about himself and asks the most uninteresting questions. 

Violent Times-The Power's Out is genuinely one of the most insane 1-2 punches ever:jonny: Annie Clark the LEGEND that you are 

• Like 2

Can I just say that the art direction this era is nothing short of AMAZING?? like.. HELLO?!

Personally, I would have loved any of these shots as the album cover

b6d48787531073dc58d98c3b34bce99a.jpg#b6d

bea65da97dfcb082856bec3059628621.jpg#beaaf2183f41bbfdbbd9e1afeb0d42c0fa4.jpg#af2

• Like 6

1. Actor
  2. Masseduction
  3. ST
  4. All Born Screaming
  5. Strange Mercy
  6. Marry Me
  7. Daddy's Home

Discog ranking.... I need to listen to ABS more and maybe revisit her whole discog cause honestly I don't remember much of Marry Me and SM. 

1.All Born Screaming 

2.STV (self titled)

3.Strange Mercy

4.Actor 
5.Masseduction

6.Daddy's Home 

7.Marry Me 

I love them all so much, but the top two, especially- are absolute God Tier 

• Like 1

The album production is getting soooo much better when you have the melodies memorized…

Ooh idk, this might be top 2 In ha discog

1. Misunderstood 

2. All Born Screaming 

3. Self titled

Edited by Kh-Loud
  • Like 1

Freaking great album!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.