FLO - "Walk Like This"

ANTisocial

2 minutes ago, GeminiCat said:

When I turned to watch Victoria's set, the stream was replaying Flo's set right before Victoria's performance so I'm gonna see if I can catch them again in full this time 

The problem is that the replay of their set got cut in order to fit the stream. This was their full set list but they only showed Feature Me and the four songs after that.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Adama

• Cbreezy

• 99sandthe2000s

• Facelessboy

43 minutes ago, Pumpkin said:

The problem is that the replay of their set got cut in order to fit the stream. This was their full set list but they only showed Feature Me and the four songs after that.

Damn, that's ******. 

I'm so sad this song did literally nothing for them. Why don't Beyonce have them open up for her? That would've done wonders for their careers. 

I hope theses girls don't give up or worst get dropped. It's going on 2-3 years yet zero success on the charts or anywhere. 

I have a strong feeling if the next single doesn't get the ball moving. :biblio:

• Like 1

I just pray we get the album atp cause chileee

On 4/17/2024 at 6:26 PM, Pumpkin said:

sucks

i REALLY wanted to see then perform "Not my Job"

5 hours ago, Facelessboy said:

Why don't Beyonce have them open up for her? That would've done wonders for their careers.

Because Beyoncé was her own opening act last tour, she didn't have any opening acts.

Sadly I think the ship has sailed. They were really onto something with Cardboard Box + Lead double punch, but everything after Fly Girl has just stalled

It doesn't help that their label is doing nothing for them (bad streaming playlist, no radio, no building hype). Put that with their music being off TikTok :rip:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TalkThatRihanna said:

Sadly I think the ship has sailed. They were really onto something with Cardboard Box + Lead double punch, but everything after Fly Girl has just stalled

It doesn't help that their label is doing nothing for them (bad streaming playlist, no radio, no building hype). Put that with their music being off TikTok :rip:

Right, their label expects them to blow up off of a tweet :rip: no live show performance or even interview, little to no radio or magazine interviews plus everything you listed, how are they supposed to succeed?

• Like 6

my girlfriend said it sounds like a fifth harmony song and now I can't shake it.

I love them, but they can go harder for sure. feature me was quality peak.

Does anyone else think the (Walk Like This music video) look cheap ?

Does the label really think they would smash? It is really hard for girlbands to do so. I know that we all want them to do really well, but is this really a make it or break it thing for the label?

• 4 weeks later...

• Like 3

I kinda don't like how negative my posts about them seem to skew. But it's a) because I'm a realist and b) because I ultimately want them to win. 

I say that to say, I'm not filled with a ton of optimism about where they are atm. 

Meh video aside, Walk Like This is actually a bop and very commercially easy on the ear. It not charting at all is a big wtf and very concerning about the future.

I like that they seem to have a solid live presence and the festivals like Coachella are a good side-look, but if the music itself isn't moving I can only wonder what the sentiment at the label is. 

They were a "new" act 2-3 years ago, we're approaching June and we are no closer to an album now than we were in the aftermath of Cardboard Box...and they had way more buzz back then. 

Hoping something catches for them or maybe they end up with that unique UK act trajectory that sees them blow up once they change labels (off-head, I recall this being the case for an early Sugababes after getting dropped and Jamelia too after her little-known first era).

On a side note, they sound INCREDIBLE in that Genius video!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cbreezy said:

I kinda don't like how negative my posts about them seem to skew. But it's a) because I'm a realist and b) because I ultimately want them to win. 

I say that to say, I'm not filled with a ton of optimism about where they are atm. 

Meh video aside, Walk Like This is actually a bop and very commercially easy on the ear. It not charting at all is a big wtf and very concerning about the future.

I like that they seem to have a solid live presence and the festivals like Coachella are a good side-look, but if the music itself isn't moving I can only wonder what the sentiment at the label is. 

They were a "new" act 2-3 years ago, we're approaching June and we are no closer to an album now than we were in the aftermath of Cardboard Box...and they had way more buzz back then. 

Hoping something catches for them or maybe they end up with that unique UK act trajectory that sees them blow up once they change labels (off-head, I recall this being the case for an early Sugababes after getting dropped and Jamelia too after her little-known first era).

Aren't you British? I think they'd have a better chance at catching on in the UK with some tweaks to their sound tbh. 

10 minutes ago, nooniebao said:

I think they'd have a better chance at catching on in the UK with some tweaks to their sound tbh. 

What kind of sound do ya think they should embrace?

UK market tends to have a very linear take on the type of R&B they embrace and one has to question if they'll even truly propel a Black R&B act mainstream. Flo are like the only ones actively in their lane atm.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cbreezy said:

What kind of sound do ya think they should embrace?

UK market tends to have a very linear take on the type of R&B they embrace and one has to question if they'll even truly propel a Black R&B act mainstream. Flo are like the only ones actively in their lane atm.

Maybe some Afrobeats/R&B fusion? A few dancehall inspired tracks too? Like, maybe a poppier/more R&B version of what Ayra Starr's been doing? Or, like a British take on Aya Nakamura?

Just throwing out ideas, but their sound literally sounds like what a late 80's/90's born millennial's take on a pop/R&B girl group in the 2020's and not a Gen Z version. But, that makes sense when you take a look behind the curtain to see who's producing their material, who the primary songwriters are, who MNEK, Dyo and KABBA's (formerly A*M*E) influences probably would be considering their ages, etc. 

• Like 1

They need an album out, period. It's honestly kind of amazing they still have an, albeit, small but dedicated and vocal fandom after years with no album, only mini EPs and loose singles. They could've easily fizzled out and faded into oblivion by now after Cardboard Box like dozens of other acts that had a semi viral song. I don't get how labels think stalling full length releases to churn out quick lil single after single hoping something sticks for years is a solid foundation to launch newer artists. Even if they "flop", my God just let them start from somewhere. I'm really hoping we get the album announcement and preorder with the new single this Friday, I don't think they can go another year pushing the album off. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cbreezy said:

Do you think Walk like this would have charted in the UK if they released the mv on the same day and send the song on radios? 

The way their Coachella set wasn't fully live-streamed annoyed me so much. I don't understand why their team didn't do anything about it. A shame bc it seems like they worked a lot on their set. 

I really think their new management team doesn't know what to do with them, bc either they are promoting too late or they do nothing… I wish they had a dedicated and connected manager who could help with some radios exposure and book them some deals. Find a way to make them open for a famous act etc. 

I don't think the music is the problem in their case, I mean the Boy is mine was viral, and it's Ariana next single. It sounds like a throwback song too. 

Edited by Adama

10 minutes ago, GeminiCat said:

They need an album out, period. It's honestly kind of amazing they still have an, albeit, small but dedicated and vocal fandom after years with no album, only mini EPs and loose singles. They could've easily fizzled out and faded into oblivion by now after Cardboard Box like dozens of other acts that had a semi viral song. I don't get how labels think stalling full length releases to churn out quick lil single after single hoping something sticks for years is a solid foundation to launch newer artists. Even if they "flop", my God just let them start from somewhere. I'm really hoping we get the album announcement and preorder with the new single this Friday, I don't think they can go another year pushing the album off. 

Apparently in their Teen Vogue interview they said that they changed the date of the album debut 10 times.

I just hope we really get the album this year and Caught up is the promoted as a REAL LEAD 

1 minute ago, Adama said:

Do you think Walk like this would have charted in the UK if they released the mv on the same day and send the song on radios? 

The way their Coachella set wasn't fully live-streamed annoyed me so much. I don't understand why their team didn't do anything about it. A shame bc it seems like they worked a lot on their set. 

I really think their new management team doesn't know what to do with them, bc either they are promoting too late or they do nothing… I wish they had a dedicated and connected manager who could help with some radios exposure and book them some deals. Find a way to make them open for a famous act etc. 

I don't think the music is the problem in their case, I mean the Boy is mine was viral, and it's Ariana next single. It sounds like a throwback song too. 

Who is their manager btw? Do they manage other people? I've noticed they've changed other things like choreographer too. 

Definitely agree that the music isn't the problem..this time. Walk Like This is very commercial, as was their last big swing (Fly Girl).

The Ariana example is tricky, though. As there exists this very weird double standard where Ari (as a white act) can smash with an R&B-Pop song across all formats in ways that Black acts can't. Like Bruno (who I love) can get away with a certain type of very on the nose, throwback R&B that even Usher wouldn't be allowed to smash (multi-format) with. 

It's all very political, deep-rooted, and hella problematic. But alas, it is what it is. 

I say that to say, Black acts looking to cross over-over, almost have to do it with their Pop-iest effort. Which Flo are doing. 

Their promo is off, though. They had next to no presence in the UK release week. I can't tell if they were deliberately trying to skew premium/established act or if they simply didn't/couldn't book platforms to help with awareness. 

Next to no radio, nothing online, no photoshoots. It'd be different if it as a buzz single, but there's a video any everything. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Adama said:

Apparently in their Teen Vogue interview they said that they changed the date of the album debut 10 times.

I just hope we really get the album this year and Caught up is the promoted as a REAL LEAD 

Yes, Caught Up promoted as the lead and album announced together or not too long after would be ideal. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, GeminiCat said:

I used to be so anti this "just drop the album" mentality. Not just for Flo, but any act. Mainly because the business is all about ROI. Spending money recording an album only to throw it out willy-nilly never felt like the move to me.

However, for select acts in certain predicaments, I actually am seeing the light. 

Take Tyla and Normani for example. One act who did it right, the other who did it wrong and is course-correcting now. 

Tyla's label know she's still in that building stage, so they effectively stuck to throwing out the album and are using the entire era (which doesn't have sales pressure) as an awareness drive. It's working and will set her up well for her second (and most likely "I've arrived") era.

Normani, by contrast, has seen her label drag out the launch frame to years to the point there are now lofty expectations. 

Context is everything because they could do exactly the same first week sales, but the reception will be polar opposites.

In short, Flo would probably benefit from the Tyla approach. Just drop the album and build from there. Only thing is they probably should have done that when they were dropping those EPs. 

Everything with them atm feels kinda...back to square one.

Edited by Cbreezy
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GeminiCat said:

Yes, Caught Up promoted as the lead and album announced together or not too long after would be ideal. 

I hope this time we don't have to wait to long to see some performances lol. Hopefully the album is out before September! 

21 minutes ago, Cbreezy said:

Who is their manager btw? Do they manage other people? I've noticed they've changed other things like choreographer too. 

Definitely agree that the music isn't the problem..this time. Walk Like This is very commercial, as was their last big swing (Fly Girl).

The Ariana example is tricky, though. As there exists this very weird double standard where Ari (as a white act) can smash with an R&B-Pop song across all formats in ways that Black acts can't. Like Bruno (who I love) can get away with a certain type of very on the nose, throwback R&B that even Usher wouldn't be allowed to smash (multi-format) with. 

It's all very political, deep-rooted, and hella problematic. But alas, it is what it is. 

I say that to say, Black acts looking to cross over-over, almost have to do it with their Pop-iest effort. Which Flo are doing. 

Their promo is off, though. They had next to no presence in the UK release week. I can't tell if they were deliberately trying to skew premium/established act or if they simply didn't/couldn't book platforms to help with awareness. 

Next to no radio, nothing online, no photoshoots. It'd be different if it as a buzz single, but there's a video any everything. 

Wasserman (they have Billie, SZA and many other artists lol) ! We know that they fired their old manager, the white dude.They also changed their stylist multiple times, idk if they have a fixed created director? 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Adama said:

I hope this time we don't have to wait to long to see some performances lol. Hopefully the album is out before September! 

Wasserman (they have Billie, SZA and many other artists lol) ! We know that they fired their old manager, the white dude.They also changed their stylist multiple times, idk if they have a fixed created director? 

Interesting! I kinda love backend insights, because it forreal informs so much of what happens on the front end. Especially the stuff that confuses or doesn't immediately make sense.

Them going from a dedicated small manager, who was presumably incentivized to go all out for them to a machine with loads of resources is the type of gamble that makes sense on paper but could go left in practice. 

I know there seemed to be big drama with their previous manager based on things they've hinted at in interviews, but I wonder if they feel moving has made sense so far?

I'd bet big bookings like Coachella come from the leverage their management has thanks to the big acts on their roster. Cus, thinking about it, they literally aren't even big or (enough of a thing) in their own market to warrant snatching a Coachella slot. But I love it for them either way. 

What I don't love is the nothingness of their current setup promo. Wonder if it's management (not a big or buzzy enough act to be a priority) or the label or a combination of both. 

Sidebar: They definitely have a different choreographer. It was a guy before, seemingly pretty prominent in the UK, and now it's a woman in the Walk Like This and Coachella BTS. They've always been competent performers and dance hasn't been all that defining of their stage show, so this doesn't feel too much of an issue. But, at the same time, I don't feel the performances have necessarily elevated. It's all even keeled with where it was and what it was before, which was never "bad".

Edited by Cbreezy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cbreezy said:

Interesting! I kinda love backend insights, because it forreal informs so much of what happens on the front end. Especially the stuff that confuses or doesn't immediately make sense.

Them going from a dedicated small manager, who was presumably incentivized to go all out for them to a machine with loads of resources is the type of gamble that makes sense on paper but could go left in practice. 

I know there seemed to be big drama with their previous manager based on things they've hinted at in interviews, but I wonder if they feel moving has made sense so far?

I'd bet big bookings like Coachella come from the leverage their management has thanks to the big acts on their roster. Cus, thinking about it, they literally aren't even big or (enough of a thing) in their own market to warrant snatching a Coachella slot. But I love it for them either way. 

What I don't love is the nothingness of their current setup promo. Wonder if it's management (not a big or buzzy enough act to be a priority) or the label or a combination of both. 

I really wonder what happened with their previous manager. 

And It seems like they're also unhappy with how things are going on currently. According to Twitter they leaked the WLT teaser themselves without their team approval. It's also the first time that I see fans complaining that much about their management on Twitter.
There is a lot of discussion, to the point that some were questioning the girls, and they had to reassure the fans. One good point is that they communicate a lot with their fans. 

Right now it's more peaceful since they announced a new single with an MV this time, lol ! So far the roll-out is good. But if there are no promotions planned for caught up, I think fans might really start to lose patience. 

Regarding Coachella it might be bc of their management team, but since last year they performed on a lot of big festivals including Glastonbury. 

I also think that they need to drop that album. Even if it's not commercially successful, maybe a song can go viral like CB did, they also might go and search for acclaims from critics. Looking at how many famous RNB producers are rumored to have worked on this project, their team should push the album as a full body of works.

They also need to work more on their visuals. What I noticed is that it's the first era where they have kept the same hairstyle. Red hair for Jorja, Curly brownish curly hair for Stella and Black braids for Renee. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.