Is Dua about to get Katy Perry’d?

Bosque

3 hours ago, ericcartman said:

Not yet. "Katy Perry'd" is basically your cool hot appeal expiring. Dua is still hot and cool. The music just sucks right now.

Being cool and hot is not sufficient if people don’t click with your music 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bosque

• State of Grace.

• halcyonday

• PopKills

On 2/24/2024 at 1:08 PM, BrokenMachine said:

The revisionism :dies:

Katy was constantly dragged back in the day for just being a 'singles artist' and not being able to sell albums like her peers, and of course Katy was also accused of having payola and radio-driven hits. Katy's touring data is also underwhelming while Dua seems to just getting started in becoming a touring darling, which is not bad for a 'faceless' artist :coffee:

Jlo, Rihanna, Shakira,Ariana and Selena are all singles artist, does that mean they’re faceless? No. On top of that, Katy had the best hit to flop ratio out of her peers from 2008-2014. Her singles sold better than Rihanna, Taylor, Gaga and Kesha. Only Adele was unmatched. CG debuted with 300k and top 5 all around the world. Roar did 500k and DH slayed as an album track at the time. Even CTTR had great debuts. Dua’s songs take forever to take off because she needs radio support and playlisting. Dance The Night is the perfect example of that lol.

On 2/17/2024 at 10:45 AM, allforyou said:

This comparison doesn't really make sense cause Katy started flopping because of her image change.

Not necessarily. She still had her long black hair and her Luke/Bonnie bops when Birthday and TIHWD flopped. The image change was very much needed. It just didn't work. 

On 2/17/2024 at 12:01 PM, Safe&Sound said:

If there's popgirl whose career paralleled to Katy, it's actually Ariana

never a solid album artist, mostly carried by radio hits

Absolutely not. Ari has several deep cuts and fan favorites outside of the singles. The entire TUN album is a hit and most of DW is too. No one ever checked for a Katy album track and I say that as someone who likes Katy 

Katy was EVERYWHERE during Witness but simply made a damn fool out of herself which made people completely reevaluate how they feel about her.

Duas issue at the moment is the lack of visibility. Like, what are u doing girl? Where are the performances, wheres the promo?

• Like 2

On 2/26/2024 at 1:29 AM, Truth Teller said:

Not necessarily. She still had her long black hair and her Luke/Bonnie bops when Birthday and TIHWD flopped. The image change was very much needed. It just didn't work. 

Absolutely not. Ari has several deep cuts and fan favorites outside of the singles. The entire TUN album is a hit and most of DW is too. No one ever checked for a Katy album track and I say that as someone who likes Katy 

except for this one

I've always thought that Katy going from brunette to bleached blonde was her unnecessary career killer move

1 hour ago, Pillz said:

except for this one

Her best album

• Like 2

On 2/26/2024 at 8:29 PM, Truth Teller said:

Your takes are normally the chef's kiss but I find this one a smidge biased in Ari's favour. It's interesting you call Birthday and TIHWD flops while praising most of the DW album as a hit, when even singles like Into You and Everyday fared similarly and even worse than those Katy songs respectively despite having the benefit of being streaming-era single releases. I know the majority of people considered Birthday and TIHWD "flops" at the time compared to the gargantuan success of Roar and DH, but they really weren't flop singles by general definition.

Also Katy not having any well-known album tracks isn't exactly true either, Peacock is certified Platinum in the US, Gold in Australia, and charted on several official charts back in 2010, which is obviously well before streaming made the likelihood of "album bombs" more and more common. Considering her flop eras are the only ones to benefit from being released in the streaming era, it's not really a fair comparison against someone who arguably peaked in 2019.

OT: I can see the parallels, but I don't really see Dua going down that path. She is a different person to Katy with a different personality and likely a different way of dealing with chart failures. We actually haven't seen Dua really fumble since 2017, she's almost been on a constant upward trajectory since "New Rules" so I think it'll be really interesting to see how she does handle what is hopefully only going to be a bump in the road.

On 2/26/2024 at 1:29 AM, Truth Teller said:

Now that is a lie, “Peacock” was a moment

You guys are so weird lol 

First of all Dua Lipa is not a new artist that you can compare to anyone. Her debut song was released in 2016 and its already 8 years since that.

her last single Training Session is doing fine and its increasing together with the lead single. 

Katy Perry did debut at 2008. 8 years later in 2016 she released Rise which was already a sign she was going to flop. We know what happened with Witness. 

Dua seems like she will again give her all into this era so i expect success with it. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately her grammy performance didn't make any noise(dsn and levitating was super viral), comparing her to 2020-2021 hype around her music isn't the same. 

don't get me wrong i still like her music, but if she doesn't show some excitement and connect with her fans people will lose interest.

On 2/16/2024 at 2:27 PM, Solaria said:

No. Katy’s whole problem was that she went from sex bomb to cringe nutso in 2 seconds. She burned every last of her bridges overnight and wasn’t ‘cool’ anymore. Dua is far less cringe and way smarter than she is. As long as she has good songs she’ll always stay around.

Katy was never serving sex before her floppage, if anything she was too safe and for kids. So when he came with bon apetit and all that, her main audience was not fond of it. 

I don’t think they’re in the same boat. Like others have said Katy’s image switch was the biggest factor - and yall can argue about lyrics as if “Firework” and “Roar” aren’t both certified diamond :deadbanana2:. The public’s perception of her went far south really rapidly between CTTR and BA and she never recovered commercially.

Dua’s image is fine - and she’s always been a slow grower. I think they pushed Training Season too soon given that Houdini is still rising. If anything I think they should focus on pushing Houdini and move on to single #3 when they drop the album - but either way she should be fine as long as the music is a bop

No, the DL3 era is just boring

Hopefully she'll snatch 5 #1's :jonny5:

• 2 months later...

The bump :deadbanana2:

Time the ultimate truth teller 

• Haha 1

The bump omg :deadbanana2:

rj9vizR.gif

31 minutes ago, Supervillain said:

Ou

:skull: 

:deadbanana4:let's see if RO will outsell Smile first week

On 2/26/2024 at 4:34 AM, Kristie Kuwa said:

Katy was EVERYWHERE during Witness but simply made a damn fool out of herself which made people completely reevaluate how they feel about her.

Duas issue at the moment is the lack of visibility. Like, what are u doing girl? Where are the performances, wheres the promo?

she's literally the only pop girl atm doing any promo including double duty hosting performing SNL tomorrow.... but nice try 

Posted (edited)

She's the new Sheena Easton :coffee2: 

Edited by Mariya Takeuchi
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.