Is Dua about to get Katy Perry’d?

Bosque

In 2013, Katy Perry was on top of the world with back to back absolute smashes Roar and Dark Horse. Her next single Chained To The Rhythm debuted high around the world but ultimately floundered, and she never reached that same chart topping status again. 

Similarly, Dua recently had global mega smash Cold Heart and managed to turn Dance The Night into a hit with longevity. After debuting high around the world, Houdini floundered, and I personally don’t see Training Season turning it around for her. 

One of Katy’s problems was abandoning her super accessible lyrics for the vaguely political CTTR and the rather odd Bon Appetit. Similarly Duas lyrics used to be generic in the best and most polished way possible, but Houdini was a rather offbeat song title, and Training Season is an unusual metaphor for what she is singing about in the lyrics. 

Of course Katy still had some decent hits like NRO and Harleys later, as well as a well-paid gig on American Idol and a successful Vegas residency, so both their careers are by no means over. But do you see Dua mimicking a Katy Perry like career shift at the moment, or can she return to her earlier domination?

Edited by Dephira
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 4

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bosque

• State of Grace.

• halcyonday

• PopKills

Dua is releasing good music, so...

• Like 12

I don’t see any similarities at all. Katy’s main problem with her image and despite flopping since Witness her streams are much better than many of her peers.

Dua has a good image. Houdini is rising every week on both Spotify and the Hot 100. It’s far from being dead and she can still get some hits as the era is just starting.

And more importantly : The. Music. Is. Good. 

Edited by Erreur2 La Nature
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, State of Grace. said:

Dua is releasing good music, so...

Is she?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Down 20

People want this to happen so bad and keep trying to push this narrative but Dua still has cool factor so… it’s not happening!

• Like 6

No because Dua Lipa was never on Katy's level commercially speaking

• Like 6

Why do we continue to pretend like Katy's shift from TD to Witness was some Ava Max to Bjork like shift, even lyrically? :rip:

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

1 minute ago, Zefierce said:

Is she?

Yes, she is. :heart:

Future Nostalgia is better than any Katy Perry album. Her new album is shaping up to be even better.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Dua is still young , hot , and liked.

I feel like lot of Katy's problem was that her music was largely targeted at 12-15 year olds and that demographic has grown up now and find a lot of her discography cringe. She's also kinda failed to evolve into a more mature sound like other artists have like Miley for example. I feel like Dua will have a lot more longevity as long as she mixes it up in the future. 

there's a thing they do have in common that i find very relevant

depth of the lyrics. don't ge me wrong, i personally LOVE fun pop songs! but does it move the GP for a long time? does it create a huge loyal audience?

i think when u connect with ur audience in a more personal way they're more loyal to you 

unfortunately artists that just create fun pop music are more replaceable

that's not what i want, cuz i love pop music and pop culture, but if i'm right Dua Lipa can get Katy Perry'd in some years (not 2024 yet) 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Zefierce said:

Is she?

Yes, she is. :)

OT: I don't see it coming, but who knows? I hope Katy can recover too

This dua era is just boring. She literally looks bored in that new video. 

• Thanks 2

No, Katy had three huge eras. 

One Of The Boys - 11.77M
Teenage Dream - 25.86M
PRISM - 13.98M

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

Future Nostalgia is better than any Katy Perry album. Her new album is shaping up to be even better.

It's on the same level as TD :rip: A bunch of mindless radio fodder with ugly fillers here and there (boys will be boys, not my problem/peacock), only difference is one benefited from poptimism and the other hasn't

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

6 minutes ago, Khal said:

Why do we continue to pretend like Katy's shift from TD to Witness was some Ava Max to Bjork like shift, even lyrically? :rip:

Who said anything about Björk? Witness singles objectively have less common lyrics than “Baby you’re a firework” and “you’re gonna hear me roar”

6 minutes ago, Anthropocene said:

I feel like lot of Katy's problem was that her music was largely targeted at 12-15 year olds and that demographic has grown up now and find a lot of her discography cringe. She's also kinda failed to evolve into a more mature sound like other artists have like Miley for example. I feel like Dua will have a lot more longevity as long as she mixes it up in the future. 

Her catalog singles continue to receive great streams though, I highly doubt it’s cause all the new 12-15 year olds are streaming hits from over a decade ago 

Katy's third lead was Roar.

Dua's third lead was Houdini.

Did Dua skip her PRISM?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Sadly Katy has one of the biggest loss in pop history 

dua is still hot young and has time to make changes 

Katy had a bigger peak obviously but idk. PRISM was a huge era after TD so we’ll have to judge how DL3 pans out. I dont really see the similarities as Katy’s downfall was mostly due to a complete 180 in appearance, musical topics and katy’s wellbeing at that time

2 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

Katy's third lead was Roar.

Dua's third lead was Houdini.

Did Dua skip her PRISM?

Thankfully, she did. No one wants Kidz Bopz like....Roar from her :toofunny2:

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, playboi said:

It's on the same level as TD :rip: A bunch of mindless radio fodder with ugly fillers here and there (boys will be boys, not my problem/peacock), only difference is one benefited from poptimism and the other hasn't

Peacock is better than any Dua song. It's very campy and kind of iconic. 

Edited by playwithme
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 7

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.