• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bosque

• State of Grace.

• halcyonday

• PopKills

Likely. Always the same outcome to those who had their careers carried by aggressive payola. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

Thankfully, she did. No one wants Kidz Bopz like....Roar from her :toofunny2:

The watch me or i go houdini songwriter def would appreciate a PRISM era before bombing so hard with her 3rd lead single :giraffe:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Is Dua the new Paula Abdul? 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Zefierce said:

Is she?

She absolutely is. You guys need to stop letting your taste being dictated by the charts. :heart:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Actually worse since Katy’s peak was way bigger

14 minutes ago, Almighty Gaga said:

Likely. Always the same outcome to those who had their careers carried by aggressive payola. 

?? Yes katy had big airplay but she also sold shitloads of downloads long before the songs got big on radio. 

Personally, I don’t really get the Dua and Katy comparisons, but I do I feel like you can often tell how well an era will go based off the aesthetic. 

Witness was a hot mess express, while this Dua era is just kinda “muted.” It’s not bad, but the vibrancy of the FN era isn’t there.

• Like 1

The Dua-Katy comparison never made any sense. She has more in common with Rihanna

• Confused 1

Dua never was at Katy's level at the first place. She doesn't have a single #1 song or #1 album :rip: all what Dua is having is payola scandal 

• Like 5

Dua is not overexposed so she will be fine. People are still rooting for her.

34 minutes ago, playwithme said:

Peacock is better then any Dua song.

you can't be serious omg :snowball:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

no because dua’s brand, sound and image is way more ~cool~ and palatable, in comparison.

she’s more like Rihanna - trendy and has infiltrated the straight spaces. music has a broad and wider appeal. guys want her but girls want to be her. :thing: 

• Confused 1

I know ppl like to drag and shade up and down on this site but all that aside Katy literally was the flash in the pan artist of her gen her peak was just so big singles wise it’s hard to completely realize that but also realize NO one was ever taking her serious at any point at all unlike Dua who has several Grammys and immense critical acclaim and yes her cool factor is still on. Because of that, no. 

No. Dua has retained a strong writing team behind her.  She is as big as she ever was in other territories outside the U.S.  Only the U.S. market is finding her song titles and production choices “unique” and less relatable.

Her brand is on point in every other market and it’s starting to look like the non U.S. fans would not enjoy her work quite so much if she were to change her work to match what the U.S. finds acceptably commercial.

Their careers are nothing alike, sure Dua has more acclaimed but Katy was more consistent and she was ubiquitous like that run from IKAG to DH was almost unmatched.

Dua's career is fine, she has a cool factor like Rihanna.

• Like 1

Dua is currently in her artpop era so she’s allowed to flop, her ASIB will arrive next!

I've noticed Dua has a lot of stans especially amongst the younger generation. She also consistently releases quality. Katy had a bundle of holes that led to her downfall but the main one in my view is that she tried to appeal too strongly to the general public. Dua appeals strongly to the gays and thus has curated a loyal fanbase.

1 hour ago, playboi said:

only difference is one benefited from poptimism and the other hasn't

girl pitchfork revisited teenage dream in 2021 and the album still couldn't even get a 7 :rip:

• Haha 2

Dua was never as big as peak Katy Perry, but yes this era is a non-event and the songs aren't as good as FN singles :sorry:

Dua’s new music is regurgitated dancey garbage + she looks awful with red hair, so it seems reasonable that people are moving on from her.

• Thumbs Down 2

53 minutes ago, Yawn said:

no because dua’s brand, sound and image is way more ~cool~ and palatable, in comparison.

she’s more like Rihanna - trendy and has infiltrated the straight spaces. music has a broad and wider appeal. guys want her but girls want to be her. :thing: 

Idk she’s definitely seen as cool and trendy but are people going to miss her if her music is less present? In the end what matters most is the music, and her new songs don’t seem to be connecting. It’s kind of concerning that they thought Houdini and Training Season had the most hit potential

1 hour ago, halcyonday said:

The watch me or i go houdini songwriter def would appreciate a PRISM era before bombing so hard with her 3rd lead single :giraffe:

Some of us prefer getting great music over #1 smash hits from our faves. Can't say the same about the Kitty Kats who vanished from earth when she stopped being successful :giraffe:

Edited by State of Grace.
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.