Is Taylor Swift overrated?

Big Bad Wolf

Taylor Swift: Overrated?  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Is Taylor Swift overrated or not?

• Yes, she is overrated.
    • No, she is not overrated.
    • I don't think of her.

Simply put: Is Taylor Swift overrated? Answer yes or no, and feel free to state why or why not.

For me: Yes she is overrated. She has done nothing to warrant the astronomical success she has, unless you count being safe enough of a popstar to soar in a highly politically correct climate. She is not pushing any boundaries, being through provoking, or trying to instill some kind of social change with her music. I view her as someone who is very smart, cunning, and cut-throat. Which I guess you have to be in this industry, but the quality of the music doesn't warrant her success.

That said, people always talk about how Taylor has so much power and influence and that's certainly true, but it really does not extend outside of the white race. White women are the reason she is where she is today. So of course she is going to be huge in a white dominated society. Taylor also benefits from having little white competition, there's no Taylor counterpart i.e. a white "safe" singer-songwriter popstar in the mainstream who aims for a similar "stripped back and relatable" aesthetic. It's a lot of "edgy" pop stars like Billie, or "pop diva" girls like Ava or something.

Edited by Big Bad Wolf
  • Like 9
  • Thumbs Down 2

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Bad Wolf

• Danes

• Goaty

• Pop Fan

Yes. Just like The Beatles. Overrated. Remember, if everyone likes it maybe it’s not that good.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

Americans stop being obsessed with race for one second challenge (impossible)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12
  • Thumbs Down 3

1 minute ago, BoDaToe said:

Yes. Just like The Beatles. Overrated. Remember, if everyone likes it maybe it’s not that good.

But The Beatles actually have some great music. I cannot say the same for Taylor, she is good for a lil Disneyesque pop number and that's it.

Overrated just like the Beatles, Michael Jackson, and Madonna I guess.  Not a bad crowd. 

• Like 10
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 9

1 minute ago, Dephira said:

Americans stop being obsessed with race for one second challenge (impossible)

This reads as "Americans stop thinking critically challenge"

Do you hold the same sentiment for Bey and Jay calling out the GRAMMYs for not awarding black artists in main field categories?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, byzantium said:

Overrated just like the Beatles, Michael Jackson, and Madonna I guess.  Not a bad crowd. 

Except none of these acts are overrated. The Beatles were revolutionary, Michael Jackson was a one of a kind talent, performer, and human being - and Madonna sold sex, controversy, and thought provoking ideas on a platter.

And Taylor?

Edited by Big Bad Wolf
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

Dear lord are y'all not tired? How many threads are y'all gonna make today about this woman? 

OT: She's not as overrated as someone like Beyonce who thinks she's entitled to worship and awards. :michael:

• Like 14
  • Thumbs Down 5

Just now, Hunter_13 said:

OT: She's not as overrated as someone like Beyonce who thinks she's entitled to worship and awards.

You are saying this while defending the same person who had a mental breakdown over not being nominated, let alone being snubbed multiple times of a main field win due to nothing other than racism and industry politics. Not the serve you thought this was, sister.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Big Bad Wolf said:

Except none of these acts are overrated. The Beatles were revolutionary, Michael Jackson was a one of a kind talent, performer, and human being - and Madonna sold sex, controversy, and thought provoking ideas on a platter.

And Taylor?

One of the greatest songwriters of the 21st century.  Seethe more about it .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 6
  • Thumbs Down 2

Yes it's obvious. She's the poster child for being basic and swifties are mad about it. :lmao:

Edited by Miley Cyrus
  • Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 3

1 minute ago, Big Bad Wolf said:

And Taylor?

Y'all overrate tf out of sex/being controversial.

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, byzantium said:

One of the most overrated songwriters of the 21st century.  Seethe more about it .

Fixed!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Just now, byzantium said:

One of the greatest songwriters of the 21st century.  Seethe more about it .

Karma is a cat :bibliahh:

• Haha 15
  • Thumbs Down 4

Yes,  when it comes to the media,  the industry, ATRL, and the general public calling her the greatest person on earth,  then yes. She is way too annoyingly overexposed at the moment. 

Edited by Hector
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No but SZA is. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 9

Imagine how bored yall would be if Taylor went on a hiatus :suburban:

• Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Big Bad Wolf said:

But The Beatles actually have some great music. I cannot say the same for Taylor, she is good for a lil Disneyesque pop number and that's it.

The Beatles and especially Lennon are overrated garbage just like miss swift.

Real Housewives Of Atlanta Nene GIF by Bravo TV

• Thumbs Down 1

Someone make a unique, interesting and engaging thread, I beg. 

• Thanks 2

no, clearly after her being the reason behind at least 80% of the most recent threads on this site, I can tell you she is constantly on everyone's mind and people are threatened by her success and talent.

she deserves her success so much, maybe you should support your faves instead of embarrassingly discredit taylor. if I hated someone I would simply ignore them lmao :suburban:

• Like 1

Just now, almanac said:

Y'all overrate tf out of sex/being controversial.

Immature take.

What Madonna did was totally revolutionary. She opened so many doors for female artists to express their sexuality openly and without shame, that is a huge deal. Not only that but she used her platform to shed light on racism, homophobia, AIDS crisis, and so much more. Madonna also showed extreme resilience and constantly challenged her musically, professionally and personally. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

The Tortured Poets Department put April 19 btw :heart:

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.