Ariana Grande - 'eternal sunshine'

ariananext

1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

Yes, and? Feels so off on the album  

It actually really… doesn’t. I’m tired of seeing these horrible takes about Yes And. It is a good song and it fits on the album just fine. Enough with the slander.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jude

• Gerardo

• ariananext

• Communion

On the second listen so far, the album is starting to gel really well with my ears. 

Be Best

1. The Boy is Mine (the clear winner)
  2. Bye 
  3. True Story
  4. Ordinary Things
  5. Imperfect for You
  6. Don't Wanna Break Up Again
  7. Eternal Sunshine
  8. We Can't Be Friends (reminds me of Robyn's Dancing On My Own)

After 3, it gets hard to rank. 

Solid:

1. I Wish I Hated You
  2. Supernatural
  3. Yes, And?

Her harmonies and melodies are on point. With her previous albums, there were a handful of excellent standout tracks. But this album is -- by far -- more cohesive, quality consistent, and listenable. I surprisingly do not hate or find any track that I'm indifferent to. 

There aren't any bad or filler tracks. Ordinary Things is a perfect closer. There are a lot of elements to a few of the songs that seem to be the solidification of what might be her "signature" sound a la "Imagine" in a few of these tracks. 

I do wish "Yes, And?" really tapped into more of Mariah's sensibilities of how she actually handles remixes. I would even imagine that Ariana would have been perfectly fine with a complete reworking of her track with both of them laying down new vocals but I suspect Mariah didn't want to assert that kind of dominance on a song that ain't hers. 

Edited by Ibrahim
  • Like 1

All the positive reception from the critics and reactors. The word of mouth will help this a lot in charts. :WAP:

"this aint the first time i felt hostage to these tears" , I wish I could tat that on my body god. 

In the meantime top 5 : 
1. Bye (you all sleep on that one) 
2. True Story 
3. We can't be friends. 
4. Eternal sunshine. 

5. supernatural 

I really love the album. mother did that. 

I am tired of the homewrecking comments on twitter

worry about your fave being a climate terrorist

Happy Olivia Wilde GIF by MOODMAN

2 hours ago, vamprizd said:

“eternal sunshine” — Reviews

• AV Club — 100 (NEW)
• AllMusic — 90 (NEW)
• Exclaim! — 90 (NEW)

All count for Metacritic.

The AV Club and Exclaim! ones are fake. Just checked on albumoftheyear.org  :redface:

So happy she did a concept album. It seriously is so genius the way the album tells an entire story from the beginning to end, pretty much addressing all of the stuff that's been happening and we didn't know was happening. TUN & this album instantly clicked with me. Both albums were made in a few months but they are some of her best work. You can tell she was going through so much it all just poured out of her. That's a true artist right there.

Edited by SharGaga
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wait at the sped up version. @Republci put that **** back on TT now!

:celestial4:

• Like 1

Let me shut up

Edited by illicit affairs

Current top5 ( excluding Yes And )

1. Supernatural 

2. Imperfect for you

3. True Story 

4. The boy is mine

5. Bye

38 minutes ago, Ibrahim said:

On the second listen so far, the album is starting to gel really well with my ears. 

Be Best

1. The Boy is Mine (the clear winner)
  2. Bye 
  3. True Story
  4. Ordinary Things
  5. Imperfect for You
  6. Don't Wanna Break Up Again
  7. Eternal Sunshine
  8. We Can't Be Friends (reminds me of Robyn's Dancing On My Own)

After 3, it gets hard to rank. 

Solid:

1. I Wish I Hated You
  2. Supernatural
  3. Yes, And?

Her harmonies and melodies are on point. With her previous albums, there were a handful of excellent standout tracks. But this album is -- by far -- more cohesive, quality consistent, and listenable. I surprisingly do not hate or find any track that I'm indifferent to. 

There aren't any bad or filler tracks. Ordinary Things is a perfect closer. There are a lot of elements to a few of the songs that seem to be the solidification of what might be her "signature" sound a la "Imagine" in a few of these tracks. 

I do wish "Yes, And?" really tapped into more of Mariah's sensibilities of how she actually handles remixes. I would even imagine that Ariana would have been perfectly fine with a complete reworking of her track with both of them laying down new vocals but I suspect Mariah didn't want to assert that kind of dominance on a song that ain't hers. 

According to Ariana she basically told Mariah to do whatever she wanted with the song. 

But I mean the remix isn't even on the album so. 

• Thanks 1

True Story is the standout. Has to be a single at some point. 

Recognition from Shammys. :clap3:

• Like 1

SNL performance in 3 hours.

I actually forgot this was out this week instead of next because life has been busy, then my boyfriend played The Boy Is Mine in the car - and mind you, I didn’t even know that this track was even announced. I heard it and had to stop and pause, like jaw dropped, like a MOMENT. When I tell you I was shook to my core! So now I’ve been listening to the whole album since I got home.

Absolutely stunning IMO, and an excellent follow-up to Positions, which I loved. Ari never, ever fails to bring quality. I LOVE this album. :jonny2: I think it fits in perfectly with the rest of her discography. I really hope her next album doesn’t take quite as long, because I really missed this feeling!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Jude said:

Recognition from Shammys. :clap3:

As she should be. She has really grown to become one of the greats in regards to vocal arranging and layering. :clap3:

Where’s the video for the second part of the Zack Zang? I can listen to it but I wanna watch it 

Damn, try to participate in this album's enjoyment in a way that works for me and you'd think I said I hated the album or something. No need to be nasty to people who are literally streaming your fave smh.

• Like 1

i can't stop streaming this album from front to back :jonny:  

she's always been an underrated album's artist imo but sweetener - present really 

proves that shes evolving, maturing and it shows in the music. each album has 

their own identity while unveiling a new layer to ariana.

eternal sunshine feels like the best of all of her albums while also serving as an

exciting foundation for what ariana could achieve musically this decade :jonny6:

• Like 4

Ughhh this should have TT. UMG put it back now

13 minutes ago, Jude said:

SNL performance in 3 hours.

mmmmm more like 6

top 4 for me:

1. supernatural

2. imperfect for you

3. the boy is mine

4. eternal sunshine 

:heart2:

4 minutes ago, ultraviolence.xx said:

mmmmm more like 6

6 37 PM EST now so little less than 5 until 11.30 PM EST. They're turning the clock foward 1 hour tomorrow me thinks but that's tomorrow

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.