Bigger musical career: Céline Dion or Mariah Carey?

k4rmabutterfly

Bigger career?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger?

5 hours ago, MingYouToo said:

Mariah vs Celine is just a repackaged Britney vs Beyonce stan argument. Celine may have sold more but Mariah's impact is 10x more palpable on today's female pop music scene. Even then sales wise there's no factual determinant that Celine actually outsold MC. MC has crazy stats too. 

No one is doing that ballad **** Celine pushed time and time again in today's age, but the melismas? Pop-rap? Vocal stacking? Having rappers do pop bridges? Countless house/EDM remixes? The biggest hallmark of Mariah Carey's impact is literally two of the biggest stars of today: Beyonce and Ariana Grande. Two artists who built their whole career off of the blueprint Mariah started.

Celine's crowing jewel is MHWGO, a song attached to a film, when you think of MHWGO you think of Leo, Titanic sinking, Kate Winslet.

Mariah's crowing jewel is AIWFCIY, a song defining a whole ass season, when you think of AIWFCIY, you think of Mariah, and Christmas.

I think we know who has the bigger career all things considered. 

Mariah is to Beyonce

while Celine is to Adele

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• suburbannature

• JustLikeHoney

• stevyy

• supertiffany

12 minutes ago, supertiffany said:

Mariah is to Beyonce

while Celine is to Adele

Yet Adele mentions Mariah more than Celine lol 

Mariah, duh!

6 minutes ago, Funnyfatty said:

Yet Adele mentions Mariah more than Celine lol 

if u know Adele, she's a bigger fan of Celine, not even comparable lol

I feel like Celine was always a mom kind of act. She looked mature even when young and her big time was in the mid 90s. She then pretty much died to the general public when she went to Vegas.

Mariah I think was much more of a young artist, with a young audience together with the moms. It feels like her peak was pretty much all through Rainbow. Then she had a new huge peak with Mimi. So she is much more recognozable to several generations.

Let's not forget Celine is a crossover artist, she has several layers of success to her carreer.

All in all I think Celine is more respected. Mariah lost herself to the whole diva persona and xmas. Also her former Russian manager made everything to make Mariah a laughing stock. I think now Mariah is focusing on bringing back her legacy, but you see she is very afraid of failing after the last and good album Caution.

Celine I think will also be a huge touring act and Mariah historically was also a fail when it came to tours. Some artists can be very popular and not selling tickets.

Mariah is a songwriter and producer and has her own personality. Celines repertoire is very bland with all the look a like cheesy ballads. Celine really took some risks in her last record and would be nice to see how she would be without Rebe in the long run. Hope she comeback and make a extremely personal record!

13 hours ago, stevyy said:

Spotify:

7,9 billion - Mariah

4,3 billion - Céline

YT:

7,0 billion - Mariah

4,1 billion - Céline

True. In consumption sales, Mariah has made up the gap that existed in pure sales. 

Consumption sales will never be the same as pure sales. 

15 hours ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

Consumption sales will never be the same as pure sales. 

I agree. 

What I do not understand is that people act as if Mariah didn't sell well. 

Céline has sold 175 million albums (pure).

Mariah has sold 150 million albums (pure).

There are only 5 female artists who have even surpassed 100 million albums sales: Madonna (205m), Céline (175m), Mariah (150m), Whitney (140m), Barbra (140m).

The next best has sold 80m (Britney / Enya).

The pure sales (physical / digital) totals between Céline Dion and Mariah in albums and singles sales is pretty much tied because Mariah has sold over 50 million digital tracks as well which pushed her ahead in singles. 

In pure sales Mariah and Céline are tied at 240 million units. 

Consumption is what pushes Mariah ahead in the end. But then again, Céline is a touring force while Mariah is not. 

People who say that it is not even close between the two, are delusional in my opinion. 

Both have had immense impact on other singers too. Mariah, however, also created her own music. 

Mariah started out as a Whitney copy-cat (that is what the media alluded to) and then went in her own lane as a songwriter and producer. Mariah didn#t tour as much in her prime bc she had to write and produce her own music - that is what she, herself, said. 

And when you think about it... Mariah wrote / produced / released 9 albums in the 1990s. And while not being a touring force, she still owns the best selling live album ever released by a female. 

• Thanks 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.