Era's that started as a flop but then smashed?

Tropez

Nirvana’s Nevermind debuted at 144 and became the success it is. 

Maroon 5’s Songs About Jane took 11 months to even chart, two years before it entered the top 10. 

Jewel’s debut initially failed to chart but blew up two years later after a tour with Bob Dylan. 

• Like 2

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JustLikeHoney

• Oktober Knight

• Cryptique

• tiagol88

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, kimberly said:

she had the last laugh.

4x Platinum album

Love on Top - 4x Platinum

Run the World - 4x Platinum

Best Thing I Never Had - 3x Platinum

Countdown - 2x Platinum

1+1 - Platinum

Party - Platinum

ab67616d0000b273ff5429125128b43572dbdccd 

I think this is my favorite album of hers. End of Time and I Was Here  was enough to make this album sell millions of copies. IMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustHoran said:

Rated R was saved by Hard and all the other singles after Russian Roulette bombed.

Well you're wrong.

RR #9

Hard #8

RB #1 (smash)

R101 #68 

P!nk's the truth about love? it low key underpformed and then she got a hit with Just give me a reason. am i wrong?

4 hours ago, wastedpotential said:

Taylor-Swift-Lover-album-cover-820.jpg

ME! and YNTCD despite debut at #2 thanks to the fanbase but drop like rock and nothing stick with the GP.

Then the album debut below 1m, her 1st album fail to do that in 9 years and then also only spend 1 week at #1 (her only studio albums not spend multi weeks at #1 beside debut album)

the mixed review 

it`s also not serve good longevity in the 1st two years compare to her other albums. 

And then... it surprisingly serving so much longevity in it`s 4th & 5th year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Giancor said:

P!nk's the truth about love? it low key underpformed and then she got a hit with Just give me a reason. am i wrong?

The thread is about FLOPS

O.T - People commenting underperformances like 4 and Lover when those projects opened great

59 minutes ago, chiliam said:

ME! and YNTCD despite debut at #2 thanks to the fanbase but drop like rock and nothing stick with the GP.

Then the album debut below 1m, her 1st album fail to do that in 9 years and then also only spend 1 week at #1 (her only studio albums not spend multi weeks at #1 beside debut album)

the mixed review 

it`s also not serve good longevity in the 1st two years compare to her other albums. 

Most of this is not true. 

Lover had better reviews than Reputation and had better longevity during its first two years. YNTCD had decent longevity and topped adult pop radio. It was the #1 IFPI album of 2019.

People act like there's a huge gap between Folklore and Lover success at launch but that's just not true.

The only Taylor Swift album that is a bit close to a flop is Evermore and even that would look like a huge success for her peers.

• Like 2

Dua Lipa with Dua Lipa:

New Love bomb

Be The One local hit in Europe

Last Dance bomb

Hotter Than Hell local UK hit

Blow You Mind bomb

Lost in Your Light bomb

New Rules huge smasha

• Like 1

dua lipa self titled is the best example of this

Tove's queen of the clouds. Stay high was the 7th single. 

Madonna debut. Thankfully Holiday saved her career which is why I think she references that song so much. 

43 minutes ago, Oktober Knight said:

Madonna debut. Thankfully Holiday saved her career which is why I think she references that song so much. 

What...Holiday was officially the first single from her first single.

Everybody and Burning Up weren't promoting an album. 

B'Day opened with 500k, it was not a flop by any means. The singles just performed poorly until Irreplaceable. 

4 fits that more. Still it was more of underperformance imo. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Giancor said:

Super wrong.

Blow Me is a top 5 hit, Try a top 10 then JGMAR was the icing on The cake going number 1.

2 hours ago, What_A_Mess said:

Lover :gaylorcat2:

I wouldn’t say a flop, but definitely an underperformance. But look at it now, it became the biggest album of 2019 and still smashing. 

Avril's Let Go was a huge flop in UK, debuting with only 74 copies me think and then went to to peak at #1 and become one of the best selling album of all time there. 

5 hours ago, BnPac said:

B'Day opened with 500k, it was not a flop by any means. The singles just performed poorly until Irreplaceable. 

4 fits that more. Still it was more of underperformance imo. 

Yes it opened with that number but started sliding down the charts because deja vu and ring the alarm werent really doing much. I think if they didnt release Irreplaceable or didnt become the success it did the era would have probably sold less thant Back To Basics in the US which came out a few weeks before it. 

5 hours ago, tiagol88 said:

What...Holiday was officially the first single from her first single.

Everybody and Burning Up weren't promoting an album. 

I know some fans think that but I tend to disagree. 

2 minutes ago, Oktober Knight said:

I know some fans think that but I tend to disagree. 

The album was only greenlighted after the club success of Everybody. The album wasn't even planned when that song was released.

Both Everybody and Burning Up were originally recorded before she was even signed. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.