Is Shakira The Biggest Global Music Superstar?

BOOM!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HappierJealousy

• vuelve88

• BOOM!

• Witnessed ET

For a Latin artist, I’d say yes

8 hours ago, AvadaKedavra said:

In Northamerica she has good success
In Latinoamerica a Legend
In Europe if you look the stats of some of the main countries like France-Italy-Switzerland. She's been very successful and all over europe has so many hits
In Africa some of her songs get traction yep
In Middle East-India she is really really big. She should go more there and secure those fanbases like Latinoamerica and release more arabic songs.
In East Asia-Southeast asia very small fanbase but recognized
In Oceania she was very big in the LS era but never went back there and thats important to have a fanbase, so she dipped-

Shakira actually has something special too. Shes big in minor and small countries. She's a people artist and her kindness make people love her.
She's not only an artists for the gays,hipsters or the rich white teens. She's an artist for everybody. 
She was the first musician reaching 100 million of followers on facebook the largest social network and most visited place on the planet.

The 3 world cups also allowed Shakira to reach every corner of the planet. From the most powerful countries to the most distant islands,villages and slums. Her music basically has been listened everywhere worldwide. That kind of exposure is just insane.

Yeah she's one of the most global popgirls ever and impressive coming from the third world.
I think the most global one is Rihanna or Madonna but Shakira is in the top 5-7-10 for sure
I think her multiracial heritage and growin in such a diverse region like barranquilla allowed her to move easily between cultures
Shakira is a citizen of the world. Meanwhile other divas are more like......American "Divas" and feel more like glamorous-exclusive american products
I think Shakira feels more human-reachable sometimes Like Rihanna cause she comes from nothing.....from cities u never seen on screen.
Not the typical starlet. 
Shakira has experienced in her youth the struggles with criminality,violence, bad politicians,economical unstability no future and poverty-bad salaries
The struggles half of the people of this planet have everyday.
I feel like this is sometimes one of the reasons why there's such a disconnection with the anglo world too.
Shakira speaks more to people outside the Anglo Bubble. People in a romanian town. Kids from an egyptian neighboorhood. Teens from Honduras...
Nothing against my anglo sisters. Love yll amores. 
I just feel like there'a big separation between lifestyles-life visions in the developed and developing world. People reflect that. 
I think this is also one of the reasons why she had a hard time smashing in the states. She's not americanized enough. Too exotic.
Europe is more open to world music and unusual sounds smashing there. 

Female artists who toured the most countries in the world

vwpHM5y.png

💯 

Shakira is a global citizen, a people’s popstar. I don’t think many people in this thread have realized or are even capable of comprehending what that truly means. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2023 at 2:30 PM, commander said:

Indiangirlsdancingtowakawaka.gif yes she is. She is insanely huge in all the middle east and no other western pop girl comes close to that. 

On 9/21/2023 at 4:53 PM, AvadaKedavra said:

In Middle East-India she is really really big. She should go more there and secure those fanbases like Latinoamerica and release more arabic songs.

India is not in the Middle East. It's in South Asia. :skull:

Shakira is a well-known name in South Asia like Jennifer Lopez, but they haven't actually had hit songs there since "Waka Waka" and "On the Floor." That's over a decade ago.

Taylor Swift is definitely biggest western pop girl in India with Selena Gomez being a close second. 

https://kworb.net/spotify/country/in_daily.html

Edited by Inverted
  • Thumbs Down 1

Shakira is nowhere near that lmfaoooo stop overrating her, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Beyonce are all still above her.

Yall are overestimating the weight of being massively successful in Latin America. She has Lat Am on lock but she's a footnote in most other regions. She's not a commercial force in the U.S. and hasnt been for a long time bar those unique 3 month single drops and her 00s run. Yes she has significant influence in Europe but I can name 5 other popgirls top of my head that would block her anytime she'd release (Taylor, Rihanna, peak Madonna, Ariana, Adele). She's an absolute zero factor in Asia bar the Middle East with Waka Waka and even then they tried to kill her so theres that. 

Beyonce, her closest peer alone, runs circles around her. Shakira was only really global with her early to mid 00s run, then with Waka Waka, but that's it From 1998 to 2010 Beyonce ran leaps and bounds globally from her 90s-00s peers. Sure, she's local now kinda but her core market is easily the most influential market in the music industry (the U.S.), she's still above her.

• Thumbs Down 1

On 9/22/2023 at 8:16 AM, Relampago. said:

For a Latin artist, I’d say yes

If this was the question no doubt. But Taylor Swift literally exists right now and is doing massive numbers in Shakira's home market plus is doing things in Asia and the U.S. Shakira has never seen 1/5th the success of. Like-? Beyonce too!

• Thumbs Down 1

Shakira is the only one besides Michael Jackson, being famous in places that have zero connection to western music so yes

Edited by A.R.L

She’s the biggest in LatAm for sure but globally, it’s undeniably Taylor Swift.

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2023 at 7:40 PM, HappierJealousy said:

And her next solo single after these smashes peaked at #84:cm: this can only prove both she and her collaborators don’t have enough commercial power in the US cause all their solo flop

So now every single song of hers needs to smash? :dies:

Even that solo song peaked within top 10 on Global Spotify 

5 minutes ago, Hot Volcano said:

So now every single song of hers needs to smash? :dies:

Even that solo song peaked within top 10 on Global Spotify 

Key word: commercial power, in the US

If someone last solo top 10 hits in a specific country is 15 years ago then where’s her commercial power? And why you mention global Spotify here? Could you please read before you reply?

11 minutes ago, HappierJealousy said:

Key word: commercial power, in the US

If someone last solo top 10 hits in a specific country is 15 years ago then where’s her commercial power? And why you mention global Spotify here? Could you please read before you reply?

"Solo" as an argument exists only on ATRL. In the real world, nobody gives a **** about Bizzarp, they know that song as a Shakira song :dies:

And by the way... She does not have the actually numbers. Streaming is a tricky indicator but when it comes to sales she is just not there. And will never be there.

18 hours ago, MingYouToo said:

She's an absolute zero factor in Asia bar the Middle East with Waka Waka and even then they tried to kill her so theres that. 

What are you talking about? "Waka Waka" was a pan-Asian hit, not just a hit in West Asia/Middle East. It's one of them few western songs to do well in India and China, which are countries where local acts completely dominate. South Korea, Philippines and Japan are not the only countries in Asia, and again, India is not in the Middle East. :skull: 

And no one in the Middle East has tried to kill Shakira. You guys will make up and believe anything. :skull: 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2023 at 9:57 AM, Inverted said:

Taylor Swift is definitely biggest western pop girl in India with Selena Gomez being a close second. 

This is one of the most delusional things I have read on this website. Just..

giphy.webp

giphy.webp

giphy.webp

Selena is not global, relevant, or noteworthy in any way when it comes to music. Maybe she might be relevant on Instagram, but even there her followers are probably half bots.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

• 5 months later...
Spoiler

I would say she is the third most global female artist after Madonna and Rihanna. 

no

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.