Katy Perry sells her music catalog for $225M

Feanor

5 hours ago, Antikythera said:

I don't like her and I don't like "artist" who sell everything to make a money they already have. It sounds like lizzard people, then again, I am not an US citzen, people over there seem so crazy about money money money, money first, second and last, a life only has meaning if u are drowning in money and confort.

I used to like her, but the way she attacked random people who never did a thing against her, I so happy when I see her becoming more and more of a has been. No one today dare to say in public they like her, it is just that kind of artist people know contributed nothing to the art form.

Should I say more? I could really right a book. I dislike her a lot.

I guess you dislike 99% of the people mentioned in this forum.

• Haha 1

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anti-Hero

• gettsleazy

• Witnessed ET

• Tistotal

From an investment point of view, this make sense, you shouldn't have all your money tied up in one type of investment. Tax treatment of assets vs other investments might also be a factor.

But owning your share of master recording royalties and music publishing rights, gives you an incentive to work hard on touring and promoting your catalogue. The more you do to promote your music, the more valuable it becomes and that discography becomes your retirement income.

For some artists when they get older, it makes sense that they'd prefer the money and they'd prefer to not give their children the burden of managing their catalogue.

But not all of these artists are older musicians either:

https://www.ajournalofmusicalthings.com/heres-a-running-list-of-artists-who-have-sold-some-or-all-of-their-song-catalogues-to-a-new-breed-of-company/

I'm kind of suspicious of younger artists and younger song writers that sell their catalogues to Hipgnosis and others. Have they given up on making music and promoting their music? Did they just see it as a means to an ends? Perhaps Katy doesn't want to be bothered anymore or perhaps she sees herself following a different career path that isn't so focused on making music.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Letemtalk said:

From an investment point of view, this make sense, you shouldn't have all your money tied up in one type of investment. Tax treatment of assets vs other investments might also be a factor.

It's indeed smart to not have 225 million dollar tied to 1 thing like put all your money on 1 stock. Now her financial advisors can advise her on spreading the money over 20, 30,... investments.

Taxation on income (and anything that resembles the safety of income like dividend) is high and capital gains are only calculated when you sell an investment or close a position.

Stock market losses can be deducted and it is common to do loss harvesting before the end of the year.

Schwab-Tax-Loss-Harvesting.png

I would love to have this American taxation because my stock market losses would have drop the income tax of many years to zero.

13 hours ago, Antikythera said:

I don't like her and I don't like "artist" who sell everything to make a money they already have. It sounds like lizzard people, then again, I am not an US citzen, people over there seem so crazy about money money money, money first, second and last, a life only has meaning if u are drowning in money and confort.

I used to like her, but the way she attacked random people who never did a thing against her, I so happy when I see her becoming more and more of a has been. No one today dare to say in public they like her, it is just that kind of artist people know contributed nothing to the art form.

Should I say more? I could really right a book. I dislike her a lot.

Congrats I guess? 

what an uninformed and misguided statement. That’s all I have to say about your whole essay. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Wow $225 million is huge plus her $25 million annual American Idol cheques... set for generations. So she traded in decades of royalties for a lump sum of cash? Good move tbh since streaming pays artists pennies and on top of that, those royalties have to be divided amongst the songwriters.

Now I see what that boxset she released was for, it was basically like a goodbye package.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Witnessed ET said:

Congrats I guess? 

what an uninformed and misguided statement. That’s all I have to say about your whole essay. 

Nothing u can say will change my mind cause I saw her speaking the stuff that made me not like her. So, it is not about what I guess, I saw it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Watson! said:

I guess you dislike 99% of the people mentioned in this forum.

I don't like most of pop artists today and I come here to see most of them fail, it makes my day better.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/18/2023 at 7:32 PM, FakeInsider said:

Imagine coming for Katy while you stan Kesha :rip: 

It's definitely giving bitterness. I've seen some of those same 2 or 3 Kesha stans on here try to drag Xtina too when Xtina also has a far bigger career than Kesha's.

Not a good look.

• Thumbs Down 1

35 minutes ago, Antikythera said:

Nothing u can say will change my mind cause I saw her speaking the stuff that made me not like her. So, it is not about what I guess, I saw it.

Not trying to change your mind, just letting you know that you’re misinformed and apparently very gullible who takes things at a surface level and can’t be bothered to apply critical thinking. Katy is not the problem here, you are. 

34 minutes ago, Antikythera said:

I don't like most of pop artists today and I come here to see most of them fail, it makes my day better.

this tells me so much about you than the popstars you “want to see fail” :dies:

Edited by Witnessed ET
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 11:50 AM, popmusicisdead said:

she'll use that money to buy out real estate from nuns and the elderly :clap3:

As hard as Katy tries, there will always be one nun she'll never be able to get rid of....Valek.

Inb4 The Nun 3 (Starring Katy Perry)

On 9/18/2023 at 2:26 PM, Rv1709 said:

It’s so hard for me to digest that some artists are fighting tooth and nail to own their work while some just sell it away like this? Shows who is the true artist and who is manufactured 

Both  Katy and Taylor are mediocre and overrated as fuçk lol 

Edited by Dan81
  • Haha 1

It does kinda give the impression that she's throwing in the towel somewhat, but I think her perspective on being a pop star is very much "I did it, I was #1 for a while, now I'm just gonna do whatever I want" which is sad but ultimately not everyone is going to have the enthusiasm for a Taylor Swift career. Katy has a husband and a child, she can't forsake them entirely for the sake of being the top pop star. (and yes boring OKH blah blah maybe that's not an option for her anyway etc.)

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2023 at 5:20 PM, BadHabits said:

As hard as Katy tries, there will always be one nun she'll never be able to get rid of....Valek.

Inb4 The Nun 3 (Starring Katy Perry)

Now that you put it like that, them not getting a Katy cameo for any of the 2 movies is a  crime :ahh: Someone needs to be fired. 

I don’t know who @TROJAN is, but I can feel the FUMES and loser behavior radiating out of them while disliking mine and everybody else’s posts in this thread and every Katy related thread ever:dies:

Slay sis!

spacer.png

edit: they reported this post btw, further perpetuating the loser image :dies:

Edited by Witnessed ET
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

15 hours ago, Katy V.! said:

Now that you put it like that, them not getting a Katy cameo for any of the 2 movies is a  crime :ahh: Someone needs to be fired. 

It's fine because she's appearing in...... 

The Nun III: Unholy Baptism

In 2025, Katy Perry debuts a dark alter-ago called Kety Perry, inspired by "Special K", a cutesy, petname Orlando has given her for their shared love of Ketamine. She recieves global backlash considering the Fentanyl epidemic America has been currently facing in recent years and it causes her to be dropped by everyone. 

Katy in an ironic twist-of-fate decides to rediscover her Christian routes and trains to become a nun in Italy. Not realising that the demonic, force of nature that is Valek has followed her and has had its evil eyes set on for quite some time. I guess.....Vallie stans Dark Horse.  

Katy must join forces with Ed and Lorraine's daughter, Judy and an elderly, Sister Debra (Storm Reid's character from The Nun 2) to defeat Valek once and for all. 

Will she succeed in banishing this evil and have her "Ray of Light" or will she succumb and become a "Good Nun Gone Bad"? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.