Katy Perry sells her music catalog for $225M

Feanor

22 hours ago, Otter said:

I'm not sure why people have this take? Her music isn't going anywhere. It just means she's not concerned about the long term financial aspect of royalties. 

Some people may be a bit more precious about the way their work is used but plenty of people including producers/DJs etc see their work as free to the world once they put it out

You answered your own underlined question with the bolded statement lol. It's a personal thing. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with what she did, it just couldn't be me.

She probably figured there's no way she'd get $225M in residual royalties throughout the remainder of her lifetime and well, she'd be right. I understand it's a smart business decision. Glad I'm not in that position to make it haha.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anti-Hero

• gettsleazy

• Witnessed ET

• Tistotal

People her making fun of Katy for such a smart business move :rip: We're talking about the music industry Her percentage of publishing rights is most likely low considering she doesn't own her masters and the vast majority of her music was written by multiple people. 

She has made most of her income from other verticals and touring. Selling her participation in publishing won't make a huge impact whatsoever. 

It's not like she cannot perform her own music anymore on tour and even if the contract somehow prevents her from doing that, she can always do renditions/covers on tour just like Lauryn Hill does.

10 hours ago, Walk_Away21 said:

Ok can the Katycats explain why this BOP is hated? Would fit right in as a Prism top 10 I fear. And I can't even stand Charlie Puta. @KatyPrismSpirit @Witnessed ET @SalvoPK  explain!

even Ghost is doing more daily streams nowadays than this horrible song

6 hours ago, Communion said:

But as someone mentioned, she sold her % of master-generated royalties, not her masters (Capitol always owned those). It'd be interesting if someone more knowledgeable in music law knew what would happen, for example, if Capitol put out a 20th Anniversary version of Teenage Dream with unreleased material. Would Litmus would get the revenue share of just the original 15-track album and Katy the royalties from newly released demos?

when that happens, they'll release Milk Milk Lemonade (which she will get the royalties for), it will become the biggest hit ever, and after a while she will sell it individually for another $225 :duca:

I was gonna say 225M sounds low but it doesn't include Teenage Dream? That would make more sense

On 9/18/2023 at 6:21 AM, Mordecai said:

What are you talking about :rip: She's got more classics from anyone else this gen besides Rihanna, the licensing opportunities are endless

OT: She sold the rights to an album she released 3 years ago :toofunny2: she really doesn't care about music anymore does she

Now why would she care about Smile of all projects she’s done? It’s her worst and most useless and least jconic to date. 

not people trying to investigate this and talk about it being a bad decision:rip: i'm sure Katy and her team of people who are actually knowledgable on the risks and potential benefits of selling would know better. she probably did this to make more money over time. that money can be invested and she can make more money out of it over time

• Thanks 1

She is always so greedy, she wants to make all the money she can while she can. She doesn't care about her artistry or giving the public a break from her face. She feels so desperate for cash, cash, cash, cash...

I think it is good that she is that greedy, because she won't hit ever again. The general public already put her in a has been basket, her sound is super dated and she has nothing to offer when it comes to artistry.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 11

20 minutes ago, Antikythera said:

She is always so greedy, she wants to make all the money she can while she can. She doesn't care about her artistry or giving the public a break from her face. She feels so desperate for cash, cash, cash, cash...

I think it is good that she is that greedy, because she won't hit ever again. The general public already put her in a has been basket, her sound is super dated and she has nothing to offer when it comes to artistry.

you sound so pressed. she owned part of her music and she sold it. what's your problem?

in the end of the day music is a entertainment product that can be sold like any other product.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Katy V.! said:

It has always blown my mind how she has been able to oversell herself during her whole career :lmao:

This is such an impressive deal :deadbanana2: I thought she lowkey scammed American Idol but she's always been such a good negotiator, there's a reason she gets called nun-murderer :clap3:

even random artists get 10m to sit on ai.

20m is fine for her and her personna fits these shows.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SalvoPK said:

even Ghost is doing more daily streams nowadays than this horrible song

Ghost is one of her best songs ever, it should be doing bigger numbers than most of her hits tbh. :jonny:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Black Jesus said:

I was gonna say 225M sounds low but it doesn't include Teenage Dream? That would make more sense

of course it includes td. but she didn't own 100% of her music.

• Like 1

Call me crazy, but I doubt most of these catalogues are ever going to generate their own value in profits. I think they'll just become the equivalent of NFTs for Saudi billionaires.

Can I get a PURRRRRR

37 minutes ago, 1989 said:

Ghost is one of her best songs ever, it should be doing bigger numbers than most of her hits tbh. :jonny:

it's already doing more daily streams than TTH #1 hit small talk... oh Ghost this is just the beginning :jonny5:

4 hours ago, spree said:

:alexz:

none of these are true except the first

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, spree said:

:alexz:

They said $330M a few years ago, I bet now it’s upwards of $500M because she’s had so many investments since then in real estate and other businesses. Also the American Idol money plus the Vegas earnings. 

On 9/19/2023 at 7:56 PM, Watson! said:

you sound so pressed. she owned part of her music and she sold it. what's your problem?

in the end of the day music is a entertainment product that can be sold like any other product.

I don't like her and I don't like "artist" who sell everything to make a money they already have. It sounds like lizzard people, then again, I am not an US citzen, people over there seem so crazy about money money money, money first, second and last, a life only has meaning if u are drowning in money and confort.

I used to like her, but the way she attacked random people who never did a thing against her, I so happy when I see her becoming more and more of a has been. No one today dare to say in public they like her, it is just that kind of artist people know contributed nothing to the art form.

Should I say more? I could really right a book. I dislike her a lot.

• Thumbs Down 2

5 hours ago, Antikythera said:

I don't like her and I don't like "artist" who sell everything to make a money they already have. It sounds like lizzard people, then again, I am not an US citzen, people over there seem so crazy about money money money, money first, second and last, a life only has meaning if u are drowning in money and confort.

I used to like her, but the way she attacked random people who never did a thing against her, I so happy when I see her becoming more and more of a has been. No one today dare to say in public they like her, it is just that kind of artist people know contributed nothing to the art form.

Should I say more? I could really right a book. I dislike her a lot.

I guess you dislike 99% of the people mentioned in this forum.

• Haha 1

From an investment point of view, this make sense, you shouldn't have all your money tied up in one type of investment. Tax treatment of assets vs other investments might also be a factor.

But owning your share of master recording royalties and music publishing rights, gives you an incentive to work hard on touring and promoting your catalogue. The more you do to promote your music, the more valuable it becomes and that discography becomes your retirement income.

For some artists when they get older, it makes sense that they'd prefer the money and they'd prefer to not give their children the burden of managing their catalogue.

But not all of these artists are older musicians either:

https://www.ajournalofmusicalthings.com/heres-a-running-list-of-artists-who-have-sold-some-or-all-of-their-song-catalogues-to-a-new-breed-of-company/

I'm kind of suspicious of younger artists and younger song writers that sell their catalogues to Hipgnosis and others. Have they given up on making music and promoting their music? Did they just see it as a means to an ends? Perhaps Katy doesn't want to be bothered anymore or perhaps she sees herself following a different career path that isn't so focused on making music.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.