Favorite ATRL moments? (posts, one-liners, thread titles, replies, etc.)

MingYouToo

Also that one thread on OldTRL of a photo of Gaga with some dog which cracked me up when I first read it. I don't remember the exact conversation but it went somewhere along the line of

"That damn dog is so ugly lol"

"Uhm her name is Stefani"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• #Beautiful

• JoeAg

• Solaria

• Delusional

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised to see the mixed reception for this one... and then I wasn't.

Further proof of a deep generational chasm that divides ATRL into two camps; the twentysomething pop sophisticates with 15 to 20 years of top-shelf pop consumption to their name, and an unruly kid crew with Scream Queens avatars and tributes to Nick Jonas in their signatures. It's not that the latter generation is a lost cause entirely, but they've clearly never heard a "Britney" — that is, they've never encountered a voice quite as distinctive as Britney's. "But I know Britney! Circus was the first album I bought!" First off, ask for a refund. And no, you don't know Britney, you know a very stilted and subdued version of the iconic performer.

The Britney of "Private Show" is Britney as Britney is intended to sound. She very skillfully vacillates between a range of tones; she nasally, then guttural, then grainy, then nasally again, then delicate. (And yes, that's how she's supposed to do it.) She's sultry. She's goofy. She's sounds slightly absurd. She's fully engaged. She's expressive in ways that "technically superior" vocalists just aren't. She is brilliant. You have no idea how brilliant she is.

This is the probably purest attempt Britney has made to harness some of that ineffable charm that made her early work so irresistible. I adore it.

• Haha 1

applause vs roar

artpop hdd

stupid love release

• 4 weeks later...

The thread "Post Pop Girls as Cars" still makes me laugh years later. :deadbanana4:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.