Is PTTR shaping up to be a bigger hit than Bodak Yellow?

DeepEnd

Bigger hit   

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which will be the bigger hit?

• Paint The Town Red
    • Bodak Yellow

42 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

Those songs are more pop-rap leaning too and aren’t the subject of the thread which is why I didn’t bring them up? Where is this coming from?

Doja is going to be bigger WW with her pop rap songs since… she released a pop-rap song. She couldn’t release BY and have it smash WW. The factor is one is a rap song and one is a pop rap song. Doja herself isn’t a magic bullet to get a WW hit, it’s her pop rap style that gets her there, same as Nicki’s bigger hits WW. She’s not Taylor Swift where whatever she releases and pushes will smash to a certain extent, we learned that if the material isn’t her usual formula, she will flop hard. And that’s fine, she’s still establishing herself, but she did not push a rap song into a WW hit, that’s just not true. 

Ok well the era is not over.  Let’s see with future singles on Scarlet.  Expect a bump later.  :celestial5: Lol.   

PTTR is global because she’s built a global audience with her Pop tracks, yes.   It doesn’t mean PTTR itself is Pop.  

Attention “flopped” because it never was meant to be the commercial lead in the first place.  :coffee:  You’re making a lot of assumptions based on one song’s performance.  In fact, no current Pop or Rap song sounded like it…so of course it wasn’t going to do well.  

Doja is just simply more well known globally due to her Pop music.  She could make a song like BY work in any country. Because she’s built the groundwork globally with her previous Pop hits.  It’s called strategy + it’s smart.  After this era she’ll be able to make any genre a hit for her globally.  

But we’ll just have to see with her next few singles.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• professor2000

• Relampago.

• Ari29

• Dialamba

Top Posters In This Topic

It already is. Doja had honestly surpassed Cardi in everything without sidekicks like Megan or Latto :lmao:

• Thumbs Down 1

11 hours ago, Relampago. said:

WW I would imagine PTTR since it’s a pop-rap song, while Bodak Yellow is full on rap/hip-hop. 

US, definitely BY. PTTR doesn’t feel like the event BY was. Even if I get quoted 7 months from know when PTTR surpasses something about BY in the US, I’ll still stand by this because Cardi was absolutely on top of the US at that point, while PTTR’s competition is a bunch of country songs and a 4 year old Taylor Swift song. 

The fact we’re comparing Cardi’s first real hit to Doja’s lead single (at least to the GP since Attention was a Tsar Bomba level bomb) after a smash breakout era says a lot though. 

I like PTTR more though so talent did win in the end!

Having all the big radio stations and  blogs promoting it like some sort or new age masterpiece made it seem bigger than it actually was :rip:

the paid promotion cardi gets is nuts :rip:

Edited by Trex

I mean yes in terms of numbers but BY was also so significant because it was Cardi's breakout song, so comparing them isn't the same

Everyone in here saying it's because Doja is a pop artist is just ridiculous. An artist can do both, some artists aren't versatile enough I guess :michael:

Edited by Black Jesus

only delusionals will say no. I truly hope PTTR stands the test of time like BY had (which I thought it would on the release because of its classic appeal with the walk on by sample)

obviously not, bodak yellow was everywhere

the othr song is ust streamed

19 hours ago, CristianGarcia said:

Y’all are so corny. Since when couldn’t rap songs be melodic? :ahh:

If that’s the case Tupac and Biggies biggest songs are not hip hop. Especially Biggie’s, the chorus is sung by a women…….

They’ve never heard of Bone Thugs.

• ATRL Moderator

Bodak Yellow seems bigger at the moment 

Do I think a song that has entered the top 10 in official charts all around the globe will be, if not already is, bigger than a song that couldn’t even crack the top 20 outside of North America?

spacer.png

Edited by Lloyd Minaj
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, CaptainMusic said:

If Cardi released this song exactly as it is y’all would have no problem calling it a rap/hip hop song. Let’s not.

-

It already is, Bodak Yellow was local (and terrible). 

Hip hop influenced pop, yes. Rap, no. Same goes for I Like It, they’re not rap songs, they’re essentially pop records heavily influenced by hip hop. Even Cardi’s cadence is different on I Like It to a song like Bodak.

• Confused 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.