Is PTTR shaping up to be a bigger hit than Bodak Yellow?

DeepEnd

Bigger hit   

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which will be the bigger hit?

• Paint The Town Red
    • Bodak Yellow

Melodic pop rap song vs hard rap song…

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• professor2000

• Relampago.

• Ari29

• Dialamba

Top Posters In This Topic

it will probably end up bigger but Bodak Yellow is a legendary song

there wouldn't even be a PTTR without the impact of Bodak Yellow :sorry: 

• Confused 1

everyone knows the Bodak Yellow opening verse/chorus so it’s hard to see PTTR overtaking it as a hit, although it is catchy too. 

WW I would imagine PTTR since it’s a pop-rap song, while Bodak Yellow is full on rap/hip-hop. 

US, definitely BY. PTTR doesn’t feel like the event BY was. Even if I get quoted 7 months from know when PTTR surpasses something about BY in the US, I’ll still stand by this because Cardi was absolutely on top of the US at that point, while PTTR’s competition is a bunch of country songs and a 4 year old Taylor Swift song. 

The fact we’re comparing Cardi’s first real hit to Doja’s lead single (at least to the GP since Attention was a Tsar Bomba level bomb) after a smash breakout era says a lot though. 

I like PTTR more though so talent did win in the end!

13 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

WW I would imagine PTTR since it’s a pop-rap song, while Bodak Yellow is full on rap/hip-hop. 

US, definitely BY. PTTR doesn’t feel like the event BY was. Even if I get quoted 7 months from know when PTTR surpasses something about BY in the US, I’ll still stand by this because Cardi was absolutely on top of the US at that point, while PTTR’s competition is a bunch of country songs and a 4 year old Taylor Swift song. 

The fact we’re comparing Cardi’s first real hit to Doja’s lead single (at least to the GP since Attention was a Tsar Bomba level bomb) after a smash breakout era says a lot though. 

I like PTTR more though so talent did win in the end!

If competition is so easy…not sure why it’s on track to be the first Rap #1 this year…?  Seems like others could've done it, no?:ryan2: 

19 minutes ago, professor2000 said:

If competition is so easy…not sure why it’s on track to be the first Rap #1 this year…?  Seems like others could've done it, no?:ryan2: 

Because it’s a pop-rap song like I mentioned in my post? Hence why Doja “the Copycat” Lamar’s lead single flopped harder than a lot of other rap songs this year (as I also mentioned in my post) so she had to scurry back to the her sound that she dragged prior to launching the era.

Glad I could clear that up for you!

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Relampago. said:

Because it’s a pop-rap song like I mentioned in my post? Hence why Doja “the Copycat” Lamar’s lead single flopped harder than a lot of other rap songs this year (as I also mentioned in my post) so she had to scurry back to the her sound that she dragged prior to launching the era.

Glad I could clear that up for you!

Oh wow, you really ate.  :juanny: :ahh:
Or maybe it’s also a strong song.  People will find any and every way to discredit this girl.  But it’s cool, b/c it won’t be erase the success regardless.

Also won’t erase the fact it’s a GLOBAL RAP song.  It’s credited as such in all the places this time (charts, streaming services, and soon-to-be award nominations)…but I’ll take your word for it, Relampago.  Lolllllll.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chiliam said:

the way they to push the narrative a rap song is more prestige than a pop song lol.

A good song is a good song, who the hell cares?

Not to mention PTTR is clearly a rap song , Doja is one of a few rapper can actually sing her hook but doesnt mean she cannot rap. 

If that were the case rap songs wouldn’t have to sound like this be global. 

No female rap song released after evokes what BY did. 

sor’ 

• Thumbs Down 1

12 hours ago, Material Girl said:

i think it’s corny to compare a hip hop song like bodak yellow to a pop song like pttr but here we are

hang it up. 

• ATRL Moderator

It’s already bigger than that cute local hit of Cardi’s. 

5 hours ago, Ari29 said:

If that were the case rap songs wouldn’t have to sound like this be global. 

If Cardi released this song exactly as it is y’all would have no problem calling it a rap/hip hop song. Let’s not.

-

It already is, Bodak Yellow was local (and terrible). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, professor2000 said:

Oh wow, you really ate.  :juanny: :ahh:
Or maybe it’s also a strong song.  People will find any and every way to discredit this girl.  But it’s cool, b/c it won’t be erase the success regardless.

Also won’t erase the fact it’s a GLOBAL RAP song.  It’s credited as such in all the places this time (charts, streaming services, and soon-to-be award nominations)…but I’ll take your word for it, Relampago.  Lolllllll.  

You just discredited an entire genre and pinned Doja as the savior of it this year then got mad when I pointed out her actual rap song flopped  :dies: 

Like, it’s not discrediting. PTTR is a pop rap song which worked for her in the past and it’s working now. Saying every rap song flopped and thinking Doja is somehow above that with a “rap” song that’s more pop than anything is more discrediting than anything else, especially when Doja not only couldn’t be successful with a real rap song this time around, but horrifically bombed with it. 

And I’m a Doja stan and not too big on Cardi, but comparing PTTR to BY is a pretty unfair comparison for a few reasons but I digress.

• Like 1

PTTR will be bigger on Spotify/radio and internationally but Bodak Yellow did crazy numbers on AM and has over a billion US streams overall. I think it will stay the bigger hit in America. 

PTTR will probably end up bigger WW

but the comparison is a little unfair imo

13 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

You just discredited an entire genre and pinned Doja as the savior of it this year then got mad when I pointed out her actual rap song flopped  :dies: 

Like, it’s not discrediting. PTTR is a pop rap song which worked for her in the past and it’s working now. Saying every rap song flopped and thinking Doja is somehow above that with a “rap” song that’s more pop than anything is more discrediting than anything else, especially when Doja not only couldn’t be successful with a real rap song this time around, but horrifically bombed with it. 

And I’m a Doja stan and not too big on Cardi, but comparing PTTR to BY is a pretty unfair comparison for a few reasons but I digress.

There’s nothing unfair you’re delusional as far I know Cardi biggest hits internationally are I like it and Girls like you and you’re gonna tell me these songs are rap/hip-hop ????
PTT isn’t a pop song end of the discussion :bird:

7 minutes ago, Dialamba said:

There’s nothing unfair you’re delusional as far I know Cardi biggest hits internationally are I like it and Girls like you and you’re gonna tell me these songs are rap/hip-hop ????
PTT isn’t a pop song end of the discussion :bird:

Those songs are more pop-rap leaning too and aren’t the subject of the thread which is why I didn’t bring them up? Where is this coming from?

Doja is going to be bigger WW with her pop rap songs since… she released a pop-rap song. She couldn’t release BY and have it smash WW. The factor is one is a rap song and one is a pop rap song. Doja herself isn’t a magic bullet to get a WW hit, it’s her pop rap style that gets her there, same as Nicki’s bigger hits WW. She’s not Taylor Swift where whatever she releases and pushes will smash to a certain extent, we learned that if the material isn’t her usual formula, she will flop hard. And that’s fine, she’s still establishing herself, but she did not push a rap song into a WW hit, that’s just not true. 

Edited by Relampago.

38 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

But it’s not been labeled as such by any other major industry source (DSPs, charts, radio) is my point.  So your opinion it’s Pop/Rap isn’t law, when the industry is not even saying it’s Pop. :rip: 

Matter fact the song is stalling on Pop radio, while that is her usual bread and butter radio format.  

But we can agree to disagree.  I just think it’s complete bullshit to label something Pop just because one part is melodic…when we have a whole ass Melodic Rap category these days, when multiple artists do it…yet never get questioned if it’s “true Rap.”    

Y’all make it seem like we’re comparing Lauryn Hill to an Iggy Azealia joint :skull: , when both produced by Hip Hop producers, use elements of trap, and at least 90% of song is rapped.  

I could give y’all KMM, NTK, and maybe even Vegas.  But not on this one.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.