The Sun: Shakira is this year's MTV Video Vanguard Award Recipient

crazyncool

Will the Sun lie? :WAP:

Shakira in line to receive prestigious award after shock split from Gerard Pique | The Sun

MADONNA, Britney Spears and Beyonce have won it in the past, now Shakira is being lined up to receive the prestigious Video Vanguard Award at next month’s MTV Video Music Awards.

I’ve been told she is in negotiations to get the lifetime achievement prize and perform a medley of her biggest hits at the huge music event in New York next month.

Conversations are ongoing although an announcement is expected later this month.

It would signify a remarkable return to form for the Colombian superstar, following a turbulent year which has seen her split from her long-term partner, footballer Gerard Pique, and kick start her music career once again.

The prize was first presented in 1984 and is regarded as one of the most respected awards in music in the US.

A source said: “This is a massive deal for Shakira. It is about celebrating her entire career and the mark she has had on music globally.

“The deal isn’t done yet. If you accept the award, you have to give a major performance, so they are still working out the details.

“But everyone really wants it to happen. It would be a real honour.

“She has been hard at work on new music and this would be the perfect way to enter the next era of her career.”

It might not be the only award she wins either.

As one of the most popular artists in Latin America, she is up for four prizes at the VMAs including Artist of the Year as well as Best Collaboration for TQG with Karol G.

That song is also one of two nods for her in the Best Latin category, alongside her solo track Acróstico.

With a total of eight, Taylor Swift leads the nominations for the ceremony, which will take place on September 12 in the States and air at 9pm the following evening on MTV UK.

But some male performers might throw their toys out of the pram, as men have largely been shut out of the top categories.

Shakira released her debut album in 1991 then had her first UK hit in 2001 when Whenever Wherever hit No2.

In total she has had 13 Top 40 hits including Underneath Your Clothes, She Wolf, Beautiful Liar and Waka Waka.

Back in 2020 she even headlined the Super Bowl Halftime Show with fellow pop star Jennifer Lopez.

Even after three decades in pop, there’s no stopping her.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GeeDuval

• crazyncool

• AvadaKedavra

• brave07

The Sun is not a reliable source.

5 minutes ago, Junlin said:

What’s her iconic video :giraffe:

Ciega Sordomuda, Ojos Asi, Whenever Wherever, Underneath Your Clothes, Objection (Tango), La Tortura, Hips Don't Lie, Beautiful Liar, She Wolf, Did it Again, Waka Waka, Loca, Can't Remember to Forget You, Chantaje, Perro Fiel, Girl Like Me, Te Felicito, Monotonia, BZRP Music Sessions 53, TQG...

Edited by crazyncool
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Junlin said:

What’s her iconic video :giraffe:

Whenever Wherever was kinda iconic I guess? 

2 minutes ago, crazyncool said:

Ciega Sordomuda, Ojos Asi, Whenever Wherever, Underneath Your Clothes, Objection (Tango), La Tortura, Hips Don't Lie, She Wolf, Did it Again, Waka Waka, Loca, Can't Remember to Forget You, Chantaje, Perro Fiel, Girl Like Me, Te Felicito, Monotonia, BZRP Music Sessions 53, TQG...

Let’s be serious…

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Shakira will turn it down so she doesn’t have to perform :gaycat7:

She only has one great video and it’s her shaking ass in the mud but go off I guess… :swan:

…people will still not be watching :giraffe:

• Thumbs Down 1

Can't think of anyone more deserving than Shakira to be honest. Her career spans more than 30 years and is still going strong!

Her catalog is unmatchable, and equally iconic in English and Spanish she really is long overdue for an award of this magnitude. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dula Peep said:

She only has one great video and it’s her shaking ass in the mud but go off I guess… :swan:

We'll look at the ratings the next day.

Americans with "what iconic video she has?" :deadbanana2:

please a lot of them, and on a global scale. 

they literally already give this to Rihanna, Jennifer Lopez and Pink :rofl:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, crazyncool said:

If you accept the award, you have to give a major performance

Britney

spacer.png

• Haha 6

QueenofCopyPaste

Confirmed 

Album in end of October btw

• Like 1

I hope it’s true :duca:  she deserves it

Announce the Album!! We are ready 

• Like 1

Deserved,  so iconic :clap3:

• Like 1

People asking what her iconic videos are :rip:

i hope you were born after 2010 cause…

Edited by tiagol88
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

When she announces her new album on her Vanguard speech before she's going to prison for tax fraud :jonny:

Let's go mama!

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Americans with "what iconic video she has?" :deadbanana2:

please a lot of them, and on a global scale. 

they literally already give this to Rihanna, Jennifer Lopez and Pink :rofl:

If these three fit the definition of "iconic videography" then so does mothereffing Shakira Mebarak :dies:

It's still not confirmed and she would rather stay at home than enter a rehearsal studio for a performance.

22 minutes ago, Yellowfever said:

The Sun is not a reliable source.

Are you new here? 

_

A MUSIC forum full of faguettes asking about what iconic videos she has. My gawd, worms for brains. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Dula Peep said:

La Tortura MV is more iconic and remembered than any music video your fave has done.

Edited by Yellowfever
  • Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 2

She has the hits but her videos are not iconic. This award has lost everything it used to stand for, now it’s just PR. They should rename it something else

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.