Missing Titanic Submarine Megathread | All Passengers Presumed Dead

WildAmerican

5 minutes ago, Speaker Phone said:

Yeah, the history of the Titanic is fascinating - it really is the 'perfect disaster' when you think about it. In the sense that a very delicate series of events led to its demise.

1) There were not enough lifeboats on board because they were considered visually unappealing when seen from an exterior viewpoint.

2) The ship was going too fast, which they believe is because the officers wanted to arrive a day early (Monday evening instead of Tuesday morning). They would arrive in time to make the next day's newspapers, and this would be great PR.

3) There was a new moon that night, meaning there was no visible moon to light up the iceberg to the lookout crew.

4) The sea was completely still, there were no waves to crash against the iceberg, again making it almost invisible to the eye.

5) They fired one of the lookout crew because he showed up late and was denied boarding. He happened to have the only key to one of the ship's storage lockers, which held the ship's binoculars. He forgot to leave the key behind when he left.

6) When they did spot the iceberg, the First Officer ordered the ship to turn, to avoid it. Good intentions, but because of this decision the ship collided with the iceberg diagonally, and 6 watertight containers were breached. The Titanic could only afford to lose 4 watertight containers. If they had collided with the iceberg head-on, everyone on the ship would have been thrusted forward, no doubt leading to injury/death, and the ship would have been unfit to sail, but it would not have sunk.

7) Though 6 watertight containers were breached, the gashes were actually very small. According to the NYT, "the team found the damage to be astonishingly small -- a series of six thin openings across the Titanic's starboard hull. The total area of the damage appears to be about 12 to 13 square feet, or less than the area of two sidewalk squares. What doomed the ship was the unlucky placement of the six wounds across six watertight holds, the experts say."

So damage that was only two sidewalk squares in size, sunk the Titanic. :shutup:

Wow, I've been very intrigued by the Titanic lately for curious and personal reasons and while I knew most of these, point 7 is actually news to me. The 'perfect disaster' as you say.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BeenTheShit

• mystery

• BLΔCKP!NK

• WildAmerican

9 minutes ago, mystery said:

It could be more of an investigative movie that showcases the carelessness of the company and its owner. Show the ominous buildup towards the disaster with the clear warning signs and then when the event itself happens switch to the panicked crew on the ship and the search and rescue & eventual investigation.

yes there's definitely something scammy about the whole thing

its supposed to be a UNESCO protected landmark for its cultural heritage something something, so i think a lot of them were cutting corners except for the teen.

lots of Titanic artifacts also been showing up in Las Vegas hotels etc so its not entirely impossible there's window shopping activities for the rich going on down there (not necessarily this trip).

all these could be wrapped into something investigative.

12 minutes ago, perfectillusion204 said:

Idk if I would necessarily call it a tourist attraction. I don't think you can just sign up online lol. Plus the price is way too high for like 99.9% of the population. You definitely have to know the right people and have connections

It is essentially a tourist attraction though, albeit a very expensive one but so are a lot of things and rich tourists are still tourists. Of course the average person won't be able to afford it but the fact is that the company is still selling it despite it being highly dangerous and with not much experience behind it. Maybe it's naive of me but given all of that I'm just surprised that something like this is allowed to be sold as an "experience" when it's really a game of Russian roulette.

James Cameron said in an interview just now that there is information being shared in the sub community that they dropped ballast and were aware of an issue when this all happened.

58 minutes ago, Pikachoo said:

what was the difference between this sub and the one James Cameron used?

The sub James Cameron and every other reputable organization that have visited the ship were explicitly designed to travel down into the depth Titanic rests at. They were professionally made subs piloted by professional individuals. This sub was essentially homemade and despite their claims of it being able to go that deep was not in fact ever cleared to go down that far. 

26 minutes ago, Speaker Phone said:

Yeah, the history of the Titanic is fascinating - it really is the 'perfect disaster' when you think about it. In the sense that a very delicate series of events led to its demise.

1) There were not enough lifeboats on board because they were considered visually unappealing when seen from an exterior viewpoint.

2) The ship was going too fast, which they believe is because the officers wanted to arrive a day early (Monday evening instead of Tuesday morning). They would arrive in time to make the next day's newspapers, and this would be great PR.

3) There was a new moon that night, meaning there was no visible moon to light up the iceberg to the lookout crew.

4) The sea was completely still, there were no waves to crash against the iceberg, again making it almost invisible to the eye.

5) They fired one of the lookout crew because he showed up late and was denied boarding. He happened to have the only key to one of the ship's storage lockers, which held the ship's binoculars. He forgot to leave the key behind when he left.

6) When they did spot the iceberg, the First Officer ordered the ship to turn, to avoid it. Good intentions, but because of this decision the ship collided with the iceberg diagonally, and 6 watertight containers were breached. The Titanic could only afford to lose 4 watertight containers. If they had collided with the iceberg head-on, everyone on the ship would have been thrusted forward, no doubt leading to injury/death, and the ship would have been unfit to sail, but it would not have sunk.

7) Though 6 watertight containers were breached, the gashes were actually very small. According to the NYT, "the team found the damage to be astonishingly small -- a series of six thin openings across the Titanic's starboard hull. The total area of the damage appears to be about 12 to 13 square feet, or less than the area of two sidewalk squares. What doomed the ship was the unlucky placement of the six wounds across six watertight holds, the experts say."

So damage that was only two sidewalk squares in size, sunk the Titanic. :shutup:

19 minutes ago, kimbo said:

Wow, I've been very intrigued by the Titanic lately for curious and personal reasons and while I knew most of these, point 7 is actually news to me. The 'perfect disaster' as you say.

Yes indeed the damage was absolutely tiny because contrary to what most believe, the iceberg didn't tear any holes into the ship's structure. 

What it actually did was caused the poorly made rivets that held her hull plates together to pop out of place, thus causing the whole plates to separate and allow water in. The damage visible on the wreck is a mixture of little holes where the missing rivets were and some stress fractures in the steel from where it was forcibly ripped apart. 

To add onto another bit of the perfect disaster point, Titanic's water tight bulkheads only went up to E deck. Too many compartments flooded from the word go, but as one compartment filled, it simply spilled over the top of the bulkhead and began to flood the one behind it, causing undamaged compartments to take on water. What this means is that in theory, the sinking could've been slowed down, perhaps even long enough for rescue to arrive, had the bulkheads went all the way to the top. She was going to sink no matter what, but the speed of the flooding increased dramatically because the water wasn't held back beyond E deck. 

• Like 1

A movie where they explore the lives of five strangers who come together for a once-in-a-lifetime trip to the Titanic could slay. The movie could end right as the submarine implodes. It would be chilling.

the way I saw this reply coming lmao 

Edited by G.U.Y. Gaga

8 minutes ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

Nddjjskdkskdkd here we go 

spacer.png

So people did evaporate into gases for real :deadbanana2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

Same.  This will be the GOP's next obsession. :dies:

This entire thing is a mess.

And the son going to a Blink 182 concert.

:toofunny2:

The whole thing being controlled with a console controller.

:toofunny2:

Wait so the pressure vessel imploded?

:biblio:

RIP to all the victims. That's so sad.

:cries:

So we’re there any actual rescue plans ever discussed in case the found the sub intact or has it always been a search and recover mission that was never really defined as either or in order not to crush “hope” or give too much “hope”.

Flying is scary as it is, I can't imagine imploded under deep ocean like that. RIP.

Has the discussion about how the right-wing/conservatives are trying to blame "wokeness" (in terms of the hiring) for this happened in this thread yet?

Edited by IAmJustAKnee

Presumed?

Girl, they turned into gas.

2 hours ago, ThehushSound said:

So we’re there any actual rescue plans ever discussed in case the found the sub intact or has it always been a search and recover mission that was never really defined as either or in order not to crush “hope” or give too much “hope”.

They followed procedure according to James Cameron. They dropped weight to float up but by that time it was too late. If they would have floated up they would have communicated with their base ship. What I don't understand is why Oceangate didn't reveal to the world that they were informed by Titan that they were floating up when they lost communication unless James Cameron was lying when he said that. It wouldn't have caused all this frenzy.

8 minutes ago, Rebel Lion said:

They followed procedure according to James Cameron. They dropped weight to float up but by that time it was too late. If they would have floated up they would have communicated with their base ship. What I don't understand is why Oceangate didn't reveal to the world that they were informed by Titan that they were floating up when they lost communication unless James Cameron was lying when he said that. It wouldn't have caused all this frenzy.

They might not have had an opportunity to even communicate that. As James said, that would have been an emergency measure and by the time they realize the craft was about to buckle under pressure it was too late.

1 minute ago, Domination said:

They might not have had an opportunity to even communicate that. As James said, that would have been an emergency measure and by the time they realize the craft was about to buckle under pressure it was too late.

James Cameron said that they communicated it to their ship. That's why he knows that they tried floating to the top.

They basically didn't feel a thing and turned to ash , no need bother looking for bodies even .

5 minutes ago, KingWitch said:

They basically didn't feel a thing and turned to ash , no need bother looking for bodies even .

Not the source for this being Oli London

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, HASHTAGPOW said:

When’s the next tour? :celestial5:

Sis let’s book a ticket! 

spacer.png

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.