This Was Pop 2022 | Part 1 | Charli, Rina, Tove & Carly (Winner Revealed!)

greento

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greento

• madonnas

• halcyonday

• CBC

these Carly tracks... i'm NOT upset they gone

38 minutes ago, greento said:

No pretend, no safe end, that's our plan, no circumstance

M0dYqkO.png

Tove Lo is starting off today’s reveals with “Suburbia” just cracking the top 40. The song is about Tove’s lack of a desire for marriage and children, and not wanting that cliché suburban life. Tove says about the track “People seem to have this idea about how our life is supposed to look, and if that idea doesn’t appeal to you, it makes your head spin. You’re like, ‘Is there something wrong with me?’”. She wanted the beat to feel sad and upbeat at the same time and reflect the eerie feeling you get in suburbia that everyone is hiding something. @supaspaz called the track “A fierce identity crisis” while @Ewan Chaos thought “Lyrics are a bit eh but it's a fun song.”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - GraceRandolph

10 - creativity.

10 - Miichael

Haters (0s and 1s):

None

Oh y’all just have **** taste

2 minutes ago, kimberly said:

how is This **** staying over this masterpiece 

giphy.gif 

ATRL always overrates singles in rates

spacer.png

• ATRL Moderator
29 minutes ago, greento said:

I gotta get out of bed, I need a good kick, kick in the head

ENUS781.png

Straight back to Dirt Femme, we have “Kick In The Head” departing at #39. The song features a slowed down sample of “disco ****”, a song from Tove’s third studio album, BLUE LIPS. The song is an experimental banger, with a funky baseline, about feeling unmotivated and needing someone to shake you to wake up your creativity. @SLIME compared the song to the music of Britney Spears and remarked “What in the 'In the Zone.'”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

11 - @MP2K

10 - 4Real

10 - creativity.

10 - madonnas

10 - Born to Run

Haters (0s and 1s):

None

Her second best song after disco tits 

This life gave us nothing to lose, we're going down together, got a ticket for two

4BkH5gA.png

The first lead single of the rate is out next; Rina Sawayama’s “This Hell” exits at #36. This song is full of Rina’s signature spunky personality that helped her debut effort stand out among the crowd. “This Hell” contains many references, including one to one of Rina’s main influences on the song, Shania Twain. During the recording of the song, Sawayama "freaked out" realizing its prominent guitar riff sounded like 1979 hit single "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" by Swedish group ABBA. She later reached out apologising and Benny Andersson responded kindly and wished her all the best. @Ewan Chaos shows his love for the song “Misunderstood, underrated, over-hated amazing bop of all time. One of her best for sure.”, @Supervillain agrees “I'll never understand why this banger is so hated.” @supaspaz didn’t appreciate Rina’s supposed try hard attitude: “I wish Rina would stop trying so hard. She was effortlessly cool when she debuted and now she’s looking camp right in the eye like Karlie Kloss.”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - Allday

10 - Ewan Chaos

10 - Supervillain

10 - MP2K

10 - beomgyu

10 - NewStanner

10 - madonnas

10 - Miichael

10 - Born to Run

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Virgos Groove

0 - @kandicha

0 - @Love Again

• Confused 1

• ATRL Moderator
9 minutes ago, greento said:

You feel safe in sorrow, you feel safe on an open road, go find yourself or whatever

PFsVi1H.png

Another Carly song drops out next, and it’s another slow one: “Go Find Yourself or Whatever”. While similar in sound to the last track, this one has a completely different tone. The lyrics depict a breakup where Carly struggles to move on despite knowing that she wasn’t enough for him. The song is bittersweet and explores complex emotions. Overall, it’s definitely one of the standout tracks on The Loneliest Time, for me at least. @supaspaz praises the production: “Carly and Rostam only make magic together. More, please!”. @pavi strongly relates to the song’s message “If this song had existed a few years back, I wouldn't have survived. Such a recognizable feeling, ugh :gaycat7: ”. @Ewan Chaos names it the “clear bottom 1 on the album”.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - MP2K

10 - ONOPKA

10 - CBC

10 - beomgyu

10 - pavi

10 - kimberly

10 - supaspaz

10 - Born to Run

Haters (1s and 0s):

1 - Allday

1 - Matthew4815

1 - creativity.

Better than folklore songs but still too similar for my liking. 

Don’t really understand why This Hell is so polarizing… it’s just okay. Kinda cringe but catchy

Go Find Yourself or Whatever ROBBED

• Like 2

• ATRL Moderator

This Hell haters are low vibrational.  It’s an excellent pop track and a great early 2010s throwback. I knew it would be sabotaged but I thought it would end up at like …..#13 or something 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“The devils wearing Prada and loves a little drama-“

spacer.png

• Haha 3

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

“The devils wearing Prada and loves a little drama-“

spacer.png

Those are good lyrics.  

But sometimes it feels good to be lonely, call it independence, done with this pretendin'

TDJw5Ye.png

Charli XCX loses her first song of the set with another UK garage-influenced bonus track, “Selfish Girl”. The song is empowering and introspective, it denotes idea that sometimes being independent is better than being in an unfulfilling relationship. It takes the idea of being selfish and flips it on its head into a positive trait. George Daniel is again credited as the main producer of the track. @Virgos Groove sincerely complimented Charli’s vocal performance: “Oh, she gets Bri’ish.”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - Allday

10 - ONOPKA

10 - Virgos Groove

10 - SLIME

Haters (0s and 1s):

None

Selfish Girl above all these? Choices

atrl.gif

• ATRL Moderator
6 minutes ago, greento said:

But sometimes it feels good to be lonely, call it independence, done with this pretendin'

TDJw5Ye.png

Charli XCX loses her first song of the set with another UK garage-influenced bonus track, “Selfish Girl”. The song is empowering and introspective, it denotes idea that sometimes being independent is better than being in an unfulfilling relationship. It takes the idea of being selfish and flips it on its head into a positive trait. George Daniel is again credited as the main producer of the track. @Virgos Groove sincerely complimented Charli’s vocal performance: “Oh, she gets Bri’ish.”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - Allday

10 - ONOPKA

10 - Virgos Groove

10 - SLIME

Haters (0s and 1s):

None

Oh hell no 

Just one word from you and I'm all out of reasons, wakin' up, makin' up for the lost time

ll5Sm1U.png

We return to Carly’s album now, with “Keep Away” leaving at #34. The song is about Carly resisting temptation to return to an old relationship which left a strong impression on her. I love the production on this one, especially in the outro. The gradual breakdown and build-up that occurs here is heavenly and I feel like it is a very fitting closer to the deluxe album.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - BlackoutZone

10 - halcyonday

10 - Supervillain

10 - GraceRandolph

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Matthew4815

• Confused 1

I'm sure there's many Tove Lo songs that should've left before most of these :coffee2:

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, greento said:

Just one word from you and I'm all out of reasons, wakin' up, makin' up for the lost time

ll5Sm1U.png

We return to Carly’s album now, with “Keep Away” leaving at #34. The song is about Carly resisting temptation to return to an old relationship which left a strong impression on her. I love the production on this one, especially in the outro. The gradual breakdown and build-up that occurs here is heavenly and I feel like it is a very fitting closer to the deluxe album.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - BlackoutZone

10 - halcyonday

10 - Supervillain

10 - GraceRandolph

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Matthew4815

Fair spot 

3 minutes ago, greento said:

ll5Sm1U.png

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - BlackoutZone

10 - halcyonday

10 - Supervillain

10 - GraceRandolph

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Matthew4815

Y'ALL TASTELESS

26xBPqH2IUJqLAJHi.gif26xBPqH2IUJqLAJHi.gif

WHAT THE HELL IS NO THINKING OVER THE WEEKEND DOING THIS LOW?! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, greento said:

ll5Sm1U.png

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - BlackoutZone

10 - halcyonday

10 - Supervillain

10 - GraceRandolph

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Matthew4815

I can’t even breathe right now. I can’t even MOVEEEEE. 

This Hell already being out too... so disgusting. I knew the song was insanely overhated so I'm glad it got this far at least...........

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.